Proposal: Jeff Petry to the Leafs

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
So this means... Nylander = Petry? Find that hard to agree to.

Even so, no way McCarron = AJ. One was the AHL Playoff MVP last year, the other is getting pretty close to Gauthier territory.
Gregoire had less points as a C than Carrick had as a RHD at the same age in the AHL.

I'll give you that your second will be about 20 spots better than ours though haha.

In all reality, so hard to find a deal between these two teams.
Imo Montreal isn't sure what it is yet. Not bad enough to bottom out fully, not enough assets to do a quick retool unless they decide to move Webber/Price/Paciorety (in which case they will be bottoming out) and their best players (as of now) are on the wrong side of 30 signed to long big money contracts.

It's easy to make up deals when you have an obvious seller and buyer with obvious goals.

Not sure if Toronto is a short term buyer, rental buyer or still making moves to find guys to be here for the long haul.

We got the best goalie in the world. One of the top RHD and a solid #3 who happens to also be a RHD.

We’ve got a very solid 3C in Danault and a tons of young, talented forwards along with Mete & Juulsen on D. What we really need to be competitive is a #1 and #2 C along with a young top LHD. We already drafted two very talented C’s who could/should fill the 1c/2c role in two years. If we do have another bad year, we will most likely find our top LHD in the next draft and that is without adding Pacioretty’s return/signing.

We don’t need to trade everyone. We don’t need to acquire top 6 C’s anymore. We just need to be patient and develop our own (which we already drafted). 2018-2019 might be a long year for Habs fan but starting 2019-2020 I think we will be very conpetitive again

Reactions: JFH

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I've been through this debate way too many times because the pro-tank movement is running strong within the Habs fanbase but I absolutely don't believe trying to ice the worst possible team known by mankind is the best solution from a developmental perspective.
Trading vets for futures is necessary for a rebuilding team but we need to keep the ones we truly need.
We don’t NEED Petry, he will do nothing for development. We NEED the 1st round pick.

I want this team to burn next season, I want a chance at Jack Hughes, you can keep Petry in your Habs fantasy, he’s a goner in mine.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
We're not looking for 'fair' deals with a divisional rival.

You complained about those 2 2nd picks that haven't done anything yet in the Lars Eller thread - but a late first suits your fancy?

Ha.
As a Leafs fan I would prefer to move our 1st than Johansson
but IMO the 2 extra yrs of Petry make this a hard deal to make right now.
Like fellow Hab fans have said this is a good base for a revisit. Once we have Nylander signed and a better idea of what Matthews/Marner will get and once you guys have Weber back we both will have a better idea if a deal makes sense

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
We got the best goalie in the world. One of the top RHD and a solid #3 who happens to also be a RHD.

We’ve got a very solid 3C in Danault and a tons of young, talented forwards along with Mete & Juulsen on D. What we really need to be competitive is a #1 and #2 C along with a young top LHD. We already drafted two very talented C’s who could/should fill the 1c/2c role in two years. If we do have another bad year, we will most likely find our top LHD in the next draft and that is without adding Pacioretty’s return/signing.

We don’t need to trade everyone. We don’t need to acquire top 6 C’s anymore. We just need to be patient and develop our own (which we already drafted). 2018-2019 might be a long year for Habs fan but starting 2019-2020 I think we will be very conpetitive again

I think the Habs have a long way to go before they’re competitive- they need better management from top to bottom and also three to four successful drafts of impact players.

But you’re absolutely right in that they do not need to trade everyone. Take a look at how the Leafs handled trades, they kept their JVRs, Bozaks, but traded away the peripheral players they signed for cheap one year deals. When Matthews, Marner and Nylander were ready to be competitive, their vets ultimately helped insulate them.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
1st round pick in 2019
I don't like to include draft picks in trade proposals so here it goes.

I'll give you gardener bracco and borgman for petry and benn.

Here's the rationale:

Gardener is a puck moving defender that the habs need. As I recall, some habs fans said patches low goal total was due to the lack of puck moving defenders on the team. Gardener adds that dimension to the team and it can boost patches goal total, increasing his trade value. He is coming off of a 52 point season and can get something of value for the habs at the deadline if they choose to deal him then. He probably won't pace 52 points on the habs but nonetheless he will be a pmd that puts up points. That always have value. The leafs aren't going to trade him at the deadline and he has little chance of re-signing with the leafs, so trading him helps keep some of our future picks. Bracco is a boom or bust prospect that will add to a sub par prospect pool. He is a scorer and can be one for the habs in the near future. He is also right handed, which is something the habs lack upfront. Borgamn is a left shooting defender that adds physicality and sometimes move the puck. He's a depth defender now but may turn into something better in the future.

Benn adds defensive depth to the leafs and the habs have lots of defensive depth. He can kill penalties which will be useful to the leafs due to polak's departure.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
We don’t NEED Petry, he will do nothing for development. We NEED the 1st round pick.

I want this team to burn next season, I want a chance at Jack Hughes, you can keep Petry in your Habs fantasy, he’s a goner in mine.

They will burn, with or without Petry, as I already said. That's not the problem, with the current lottery rules we should have a good shot at Jack Hughes no matter what. The point is to have him as a stopgap so that our NHL ready prospects aren't thrown straight into the fire and when Petry is on ice, at least we have some puck movement from the back end so our forwards can actually play the game with the puck sometimes.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

Don't disagree that Price is good, but best? Maybe in 2015/2016. But we haven't seen him in a long time and he is coming off another major injury. I'd be concerned in having 10.5 tied up in him for the next 8 years.
Webber I'd say the same, if he was healthy fully last year he is potentially a top 10 RHD (depending on how you value O vs D) but he is another guy coming off a major injury who has 8 years and just under 8 million left on his deal.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Montreal back to being solid if both fully rebound and don't take a step back at all. But that would be all the stars aligning IMO.

I still think the smartest move is making some deadline moves and getting pieces for guys like Petry, Pac, and another bottom 6 guy or two.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I don't like to include draft picks in trade proposals so here it goes.

I'll give you gardener bracco and borgman for petry and benn.

Here's the rationale:

Gardener is a puck moving defender that the habs need. As I recall, some habs fans said patches low goal total was due to the lack of puck moving defenders on the team. Gardener adds that dimension to the team and it can boost patches goal total, increasing his trade value. He is coming off of a 52 point season and can get something of value for the habs at the deadline if they choose to deal him then. He probably won't pace 52 points on the habs but nonetheless he will be a pmd that puts up points. That always have value. The leafs aren't going to trade him at the deadline and he has little chance of re-signing with the leafs, so trading him helps keep some of our future picks. Bracco is a boom or bust prospect that will add to a sub par prospect pool. He is a scorer and can be one for the habs in the near future. He is also right handed, which is something the habs lack upfront. Borgamn is a left shooting defender that adds physicality and sometimes move the puck. He's a depth defender now but may turn into something better in the future.

Benn adds defensive depth to the leafs and the habs have lots of defensive depth. He can kill penalties which will be useful to the leafs due to polak's departure.
No, draft picks only for me, and you can have Benn for free he is worth nothing.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
yep, the Canadiens are clearly the organization with all the valuable pieces, as opposed to the lowly Leafs

Petry would easily be your #1RD. It's not about who has the most assets, it's about who has the assets available trade. Who cares if the Leafs have Tavares and Marner in a trade that has nothing to do with either of them. Of course you know this and you're choosing to be an ass tho

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
They will burn, with or without Petry, as I already said. That's not the problem, with the current lottery rules we should have a good shot at Jack Hughes no matter what. The point is to have him as a stopgap so that our NHL ready prospects aren't thrown straight into the fire and when Petry is on ice, at least we have some puck movement from the back end so our forwards can actually play the game with the puck sometimes.
Sorry but a 1st round pick is much more valuable than the intangibles you have mentioned, this team needs to burn down to the ground and Bergevin gone before any intangibles matter. You talk like someone who is content with this roster and wants to see some form of success.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Sorry but a 1st round pick is much more valuable than the intangibles you have mentioned, this team needs to burn down to the ground and Bergevin gone before any intangibles matter. You talk like someone who is content with this roster and wants to see some form of success.

No, it is not. That specific strategy made the Yotes and Edmonton bottom feeders for over a decade.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Oh I'm not expecting success this year. Or next year. Or the the year after that, for that matter. When you're rebuilding, bad seasons are inevitable. But I don't believe in this blatant tanking ideology a lot of fans seem to be proposing. Anyway, I think this is a debate more fitting to some other thread.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Oh I'm not expecting success this year. Or next year. Or the the year after that, for that matter. When you're rebuilding, bad seasons are inevitable. But I don't believe in this blatant tanking ideology a lot of fans seem to be proposing. Anyway, I think this is a debate more fitting to some other thread.
The problem is that we are not in a rebuild, this is the team that Bergevin has built, he thought he was making a bunch of great moves, you sound like a guy who stuck by him till just recently, and maybe even then, you sound like a guy who likes the Domi for Chucky move. Ok sure other thread what ever..

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
You already getting mad? Just because you’d sell the whole team for 1st rounders doesn’t mean it’s the best thing to do. Obviously you know nothing about short/medium/long term strategies
Bashing Edmonton and Arizona just takes away all of your credibility.

And yes selling the whole team for 1st rounders IS the best thing to do. You are wrong.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I've been through this debate way too many times because the pro-tank movement is running strong within the Habs fanbase but I absolutely don't believe trying to ice the worst possible team known by mankind is the best solution from a developmental perspective.
Trading vets for futures is necessary for a rebuilding team but we need to keep the ones we truly need.

I am sorry but that doesn't make sense (to me), what do the Habs gain in holding on to vets that have value when they are at minimum 2-3 years from being a playoff team ( assuming everything goes right).

I can agree that getting rid of all veterans is a bad move but the ones that hold decent value should be used to get futures.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Bashing Edmonton and Arizona just takes away all of your credibility.

And yes selling the whole team for 1st rounders IS the best thing to do. You are wrong.

And then what? Have a team full of 18–20 years kids who doesn’t have a clue how to train, eat and be pro? Just like every jobs on the planet, to be the best you need to learn from someone with experience and who’s one of the best at what they do. The veteran PASS along the in and out and that’s how a player grow into a superstars.

Only a handful of player can learn on their own and teach others.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
The problem is that we are not in a rebuild, this is the team that Bergevin has built, he thought he was making a bunch of great moves, you sound like a guy who stuck by him till just recently, and maybe even then, you sound like a guy who likes the Domi for Chucky move. Ok sure other thread what ever..

Well since you asked, I think that Domi for Chucky trade was great for Arizona, meh for us. Both players should benefit from a change of scenery. But yeah, once again, we're drifting to off topic.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I am sorry but that doesn't make sense (to me), what do the Habs gain in holding on to vets that have value when they are at minimum 2-3 years from being a playoff team ( assuming everything goes right).

We're just pointing out that there's no rush to trade Petry (until Weber comes back) and we'll have plenty of offers before the TDL.

Those 1st round picks will still be available.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

For the same reasons the Bruins traded Lucic & Hamilton but kept Bergeron, Kreijci, Chara, Marchand etc..

You can’t clean house and expect to be good in 5 years with top 5 picks. It doesn’t work like that.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
And then what? Have a team full of 18–20 years kids who doesn’t have a clue how to train, eat and be pro? Just like every jobs on the planet, to be the best you need to learn from someone with experience and who’s one of the best at what they do. The veteran PASS along the in and out and that’s how a player grow into a superstars.

Only a handful of player can learn on their own and teach others.
Just stop, this is a young man’s league now. And our rookies have nothing to learn from our roster outside of Gallagher, Webber and Price.

Last edited:

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland

I can agree that getting rid of all veterans is a bad move but the ones that hold decent value should be used to get futures.
He wants to compete next season his homerism is much to strong.

qkbjv.jpg

Just... whatever.

Reactions: FerrisRox

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad