Proposal: Jeff Petry to the Leafs

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
With Weber, Byron and Shaw already injured until November/December, we’re already going to be bad with or without Petry. 2019-2020 is where I think we will start to turn the ship around. Selling a bunch of assets we might need in two years for the sake of it doesn’t help us and set us back a couple more years and will effectively kill our chances at a cup with Weber/Price.

That being said, a whole bunch of Habs fans were mad last year when we won one of our last game against Ottawa and that made us finish 28th instead of 30th. We ended up winning the lottory and passed Ottawa and Arizona to select Kotkaniemi 3OA. Had we won that game we would’ve picked 5th and I bet Arizona would’ve taken Kotkaniemi 3rd too.

I just dont think weber returning from injuries at his age/style of play will be the same guy and he eats a huge chunk of your cap. Hopefully not thought. Price on the other hand is a beast and should regain form. Still overpaid and eats a ton of cap.

Then your banking on your prospects to produce major in their rookie years. This just seems like its not a recipe for the playoffs especially in our division.

lol if you redid the lottery 10 times you would win more times than losing if you finished 30th in the league. The odds are in the worst teams favours..just because you guys won a game and finished 28th which resulted in a higher position is irrelevant and shouldn't be used as a base for anything.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I just dont think weber returning from injuries at his age/style of play will be the same guy and he eats a huge chunk of your cap. Hopefully not thought. Price on the other hand is a beast and should regain form. Still overpaid and eats a ton of cap.

Then your banking on your prospects to produce major in their rookie years. This just seems like its not a recipe for the playoffs especially in our division.

lol if you redid the lottery 10 times you would win more times than losing if you finished 30th in the league. The odds are in the worst teams favours..just because you guys won a game and finished 28th which resulted in a higher position is irrelevant and shouldn't be used as a base for anything.

I am not banking on their being superstars on their first year but if we can at least compete for a playoff spot in 2019-2020 it will be huge for our young core. Shit starts to get real in 2020-2021 with Kotkaniemi & Poehling having NHL experience and whoever we pick in the top 10 this year (hopefully a LHD)

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
That’s a good deal.
T
I am not banking on their being superstars on their first year but if we can at least compete for a playoff spot in 2019-2020 it will be huge for our young core. **** starts to get real in 2020-2021 with Kotkaniemi & Poehling having NHL experience and whoever we pick in the top 10 this year (hopefully a LHD)

A lot of stars will have to align..the east and our division are getting tougher i dont see you guys competing at all next year or the year after that. we shall see, i never doubt price.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I like kapanen and brown but as someone already stated the habs have 6 middle six wingers and 3 top six (one plays centre) in our line up as it is. I would rather do something like petry 1 mil retained for the 1st plus 2nds. Habs might add a late pick.

He's not the Phil Kessel of Dmen (roughly).

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I like kapanen and brown but as someone already stated the habs have 6 middle six wingers and 3 top six (one plays centre) in our line up as it is. I would rather do something like petry 1 mil retained for the 1st plus 2nds. Habs might add a late pick.

I would like to know who the 3rd line winger who scored 20g is?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
At his current age,if he's healthy.and has a shorter term contract? Of course not then he's worth that and more all day long.

But is that the case here?

You said he's eating a huge chunk of their salary cap. He's not. Now you're talking about his age, health and the term of his contract? Why are you moving the goal lines all of the sudden?

The fact remains he's a solid #1 defenseman and $7.8 million is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a huge part of any teams salary cap, especially if it's allotted to a #1 defenseman.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
You said he's eating a huge chunk of their salary cap. He's not. Now you're talking about his age, health and the term of his contract? Why are you moving the goal lines all of the sudden?

The fact remains he's a solid #1 defenseman and $7.8 million is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a huge part of any teams salary cap, especially if it's allotted to a #1 defenseman.

If he's healthy then yes lol...but he's not he's injured and not getting younger hence why there is speculation about his contract since it lasts for like 8 more years after returning from all these injuries....(mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Once again, 1st + Dermott, end of story. You don't need to go back and forth for another 15 pages, that's the only type of deal we should be looking at for Petry.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Once again, 1st + Dermott, end of story. You don't need to go back and forth for another 15 pages, that's the only type of deal we should be looking at for Petry.
That isn't a helpful proposal because it would never happen. It isn't fair value. Petry is as adequate piece...not a game changer to any team.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Rielly ______
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Hainsey
Borgman Carrick

Call ups: Rosen Holl Liljegren Ozhiganov Marincin

Leafs will add a top 4 at the deadline (for picks) if and only if one of the call ups don't prove they can be a top 4 in the first 60 games of the season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What would your want from us?

More than you are willing to give up. Habs are not trading Petry who is a above average top 4D on a great 3 year term for cheap. I do think Petry fits with the Leafs but he also fits with many other teams so if the Leafs want him, it's going to cost futures they probably prefer not to cough up.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry for a 2019 1st and one of Sandin or Liljegren. Only deal I see happening if I'm trading Petry to the Leafs.

Too much? Well what do you think a rental for an above average top 4D costs at the deadline? Petry has a great 3 year AAV contract left. Hit fits any team that is a Stanley Cup contender looking to improve their top 4D.

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Are the Habs not rebuilding? Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought they'd wanna gain as many assets as possible. Keep a few vets around, sure, but Petry seems like a player teams would overpay for.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... Those words that We Do Not Speak of.....

A 2nd would suffice.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That isn't a helpful proposal because it would never happen. It isn't fair value. Petry is as adequate piece...not a game changer to any team.

Petry has term left in his contract. He is not a pending UFA. The minute a top 4D like Petry comes available, the Leafs are not the only team interested. Pay up or live with what you have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad