Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Given the circumstances, looks like Igor will maintain rookie eligibility next season. Calder anyone?

To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Given the circumstances, looks like Igor will maintain rookie eligibility next season. Calder anyone?

To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

When Georgiev played his last game, it limited Shestyorkin's games to max 25 so yeah, he is Calder eligible next year.

I honestly cannot remember the last time a goalie won the Calder. Raycroft?

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York

Yup. He’s got a great chance now for next season.

Reactions: Rongomania

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Yup. He’s got a great chance now for next season.

To put in perspective, with how long his Russia experience lasted, he'd be one of the oldest, if not the oldest, winner ever since the age cutoff was put in.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I believe so. He would enter the season a a candidate. Will compete with Laf.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
Given the direction the league is headed and how commoditized the goaltending position has become, I was curious to everyone’s thoughts if Shesty has a big year and wants a huge, Vasilevskiy like, contract next summer?

I’m probably getting ahead of myself here as who knows what the cap situation looks like in summer ‘21. However, with all the young talent that will be due raises, it just doesn’t seem like a good move to invest so much in goaltending when players like Kakko, Fox, Laf and possibly more will need big contracts down the road.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Given the direction the league is headed and how commoditized the goaltending position has become, I was curious to everyone’s thoughts if Shesty has a big year and wants a huge, Vasilevskiy like, contract next summer?

I’m probably getting ahead of myself here as who knows what the cap situation looks like in summer ‘21. However, with all the young talent that will be due raises, it just doesn’t seem like a good move to invest so much in goaltending when players like Kakko, Fox, Laf and possibly more will need big contracts down the road.

Vasilevskiy played 90 games across 3 seasons while on his ELC. He then signed a 3 year contract at a 3.5 mil AAV. There's no chance that Shesty is getting anything close to what Vasi got on his new contract.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Yeah I think he has to "prove it" more than 1 year
It's possible if he plays lights out and takes the Rangers deep into the playoffs then he could have a bigger argument but I imagine the Rangers will want at least a 1 year bridge to evaluate and then decide if a longterm contract taking him into his nearly mid 30's is a good plan

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
Fair point on Vasi’s performance, although they’re only a year apart and Igor‘s agent will likely argue his KHL performance is more proof than a few years as an NHL backup. We’ll likely have to make a long term decision on Shesty much earlier than TB had to on Vasi.

Part of me feels like it’s a reason why Gorton is hard pressed to part with George. Given the trend in goaltending (not to mention Benny’s ability to churn out quality goalies) it seems difficult to commit big money to a G. Given we could have as many as four “big money” contracts at forward over the next few years, it makes me wonder if having an elite G is even possible. I still didn’t even take into account Trouba and whatever Fox gets.

With so much talent, there will undeniably be a cap casualty among the stars in the group, and I’m wondering if it ends up being Shesty.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Fair point on Vasi’s performance, although they’re only a year apart and Igor‘s agent will likely argue his KHL performance is more proof than a few years as an NHL backup. We’ll likely have to make a long term decision on Shesty much earlier than TB had to on Vasi.

Part of me feels like it’s a reason why Gorton is hard pressed to part with George. Given the trend in goaltending (not to mention Benny’s ability to churn out quality goalies) it seems difficult to commit big money to a G. Given we could have as many as four “big money” contracts at forward over the next few years, it makes me wonder if having an elite G is even possible. I still didn’t even take into account Trouba and whatever Fox gets.

With so much talent, there will undeniably be a cap casualty among the stars in the group, and I’m wondering if it ends up being Shesty.
Shesty has played what, 12 games? Why are we already talking about getting rid of him in a few years? You guys are crazy looking that far ahead.

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
Shesty has played what, 12 games? Why are we already talking about getting rid of him in a few years? You guys are crazy looking that far ahead.

I hope you’re right, but I’m not sure. We keep pointing to NHL experience, which is a valid argument, but he’s also going to be 25 before hockey even starts (assuming Jan 1), so that big contact is either coming in ‘21 or ‘22.

I also don’t think it’s crazy to question whether we should invest a ton of money in goaltending just in principle, especially when we’re likely to have numerous stars throughout our lineup for the foreseeable future. Just food for thought, as I don’t think any team in the cap world can win by handing out superstar contracts to players in all four positions.

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
I hope you’re right, but I’m not sure. We keep pointing to NHL experience, which is a valid argument, but he’s also going to be 25 before hockey even starts (assuming Jan 1), so that big contact is either coming in ‘21 or ‘22.

I also don’t think it’s crazy to question whether we should invest a ton of money in goaltending just in principle, especially when we’re likely to have numerous stars throughout our lineup for the foreseeable future. Just food for thought, as I don’t think any team in the cap world can win by handing out superstar contracts to players in all four positions.

The money is there, you just have to get a little creative. I know NY isn't FL but hopefully if the roster is littered with superstars some guys will take slight discounts like the Lightning boys. Hedman Vasi Stamkos Kuch all make big money and Point got paid while still taking a short term discount. We can make it work we'd just have to get creative. I know they're super tight against the cap but they won a Cup. That's all that matters.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I feel like I was (and likely still am) out on an island with this opinion, but having a star goaltender is a problem. Your goalie just cannot be taking up a significant portion of the cap if you want to have depth throughout the lineup. There’s a reason why the Rangers didn’t win a Cup with Hank. There’s a reason why those key injuries to Zucc and the defense proved decisive in the years the Rangers came close.

This team needs to win before Shesterkin gets paid. That extra $6M in Vasilevsky’s pocket is going to make it really difficult for TB to win multiple Cups.

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
I feel like I was (and likely still am) out on an island with this opinion, but having a star goaltender is a problem. Your goalie just cannot be taking up a significant portion of the cap if you want to have depth throughout the lineup. There’s a reason why the Rangers didn’t win a Cup with Hank. There’s a reason why those key injuries to Zucc and the defense proved decisive in the years the Rangers came close.

This team needs to win before Shesterkin gets paid. That extra $6M in Vasilevsky’s pocket is going to make it really difficult for TB to win multiple Cups.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, with the cat being contending for a cup. You can do it with a goalie on a big contract, it just makes things trickier. Every situation is different.

I also don't think Igor is going to get "paid" for a little while. Certainly not his next contract.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

There is some validity to this for sure. Especially now with the flat cap affecting not only the next few years but the years to follow. Another concern in this regard is all of the top talent they are pulling from the draft.

If they develop the way we expect, they will make bonuses and have to be paid too. This is why I brought up that it would actually benefit the Rangers if Kakko was a late bloomer and you could sign him to a longer term deal and eat some of his UFA years. You would need some luck like this to build a dynasty.

But in the cap world we live in (even more so after COVID) its almost impossible to build a perennial cup contender. There just arent enough slices of pizza to go around.

Reactions: NY Lito

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad