Amazon acquires Monday night NHL package in Canada from Sportsnet - will broadcast games exclusively on Prime Video

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
This is about Canada, though. Monday night hockey features Canadian teams, so you're going to have at least one market where it's the focal point for the evening, and a good portion of the rest of the sports-viewing population where it's considered the top offering.

I've seen some all USA matchups and Canadians watch MNF for half the NHL season.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
S52hDd3.jpeg

Possible contender for "tweet that aged better than any other".
Good. We need better competition in this country.

It's better than:

Please return to your Rogers/Bell owned cable TV subscription so you can browse on your Rogers/Bell owned phone on your Rogers/Bell mobile network or Rogers/Bell internet service provider so you can watch your favorite Rogers/Bell owned NHL team on this country's only two sports networks who are also owned by Rogers/Bell.

It's the literal definition of an oligopoly.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I've seen some all USA matchups and Canadians watch MNF for half the NHL season.
Some Canadians do. Many of us don't give a heck about football, and still among football fans fewer than half actively follow the NFL (based on some statistics I found, anyway). And those football fans aren't all part of the hockey market anyway.

Plenty of the Monday night hockey games feature Canadian teams, and for that reason I would think this is still an attractive broadcast given you'll have that Canadian market, and honestly the rival markets a lot of the time, tuned in.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
There's only so much they can do to influence dates of availability at 32 venues. There's a reason certain teams play virtually the same nights every year.

This deal impacts the Canadian market - for now - and the premium matchups for Canada are on Saturday nights. The other teams play regionally on TSN and/or SN - which will still have weekday games outside of Monday as I understand it.

AFAIC, it's a throw away night for the most part.
TSN can still do their regional games on Monday’s.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Good. We need better competition in this country.

It's better than:

Please return to your Rogers/Bell owned cable TV subscription so you can browse on your Rogers/Bell owned phone on your Rogers/Bell mobile network or Rogers/Bell internet service provider so you can watch your favorite Rogers/Bell owned NHL team on this country's only two sports networks who are also owned by Rogers/Bell.

It's the literal definition of an oligopoly.

Which will get even worse if/when every streaming app buys a day to bring more customers.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
This is horrible news, anyone who follows the Jays and knows how stupid it is we miss games because of Apple TV+ having exclusive rights to certain games is completely bullshit.

This isn't competition, this is splitting the market forcing consumers to buy multiple packages to watch one product.

It's bullshit.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
This is horrible news, anyone who follows the Jays and knows how stupid it is we miss games because of Apple TV+ having exclusive rights to certain games is completely bullshit.

This isn't competition, this is splitting the market forcing consumers to buy multiple packages to watch one product.

It's bullshit.
That's literally what we have right now. We're forced to buy a cable package with a bunch of dumb channels we don't want just to watch hockey.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
You can't just buy Sportsnet. You have to pay for cable.

That's the whole point of streaming services, so you don't have to pay for cable.
Sportsnet has streaming app which does not require you to have cable. As long as you have internet you are good to go.

Reactions: Satan

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Sportsnet has streaming app which does not require you to have cable. As long as you have internet you are good to go.
Doesn't work if you live in the same region as the team you cheer for. You will get blacked out.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
(Legal) Sports streaming just doesn’t work for me. 1GB internet yet Sportsnet Now routinely posts errors and virtually never gets anywhere near 1080p. On Saturday nights I’ve tried CityTV on Prime but it’s also a junk stream. I assume somebody out there feels like they’re getting their money’s worth with SN+, but I’m headed back to cable just for sports in the fall. **** Monday night games anyway

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Selling them day by day to different companies so you need to subscribe to 50 different services just to watch hockey is cringe.

Make it a 5 dollar monthly fee to watch literally every NHL game by every team. NHL is delusional if it thinks that their service is more valuable than Netflix.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Doesn't work if you live in the same region as the team you cheer for. You will get blacked out.
Not true, i live in the same region as the team i cheer for. They dont blackout local games. In fact they have 2 packages, one is basic that shows all the local games while premium plan covers all NHL games.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Selling them day by day to different companies so you need to subscribe to 50 different services just to watch hockey is cringe.

Make it a 5 dollar monthly fee to watch literally every NHL game by every team. NHL is delusional if it thinks that their service is more valuable than Netflix.
Imagine NHL broadcast right selling by time slots. So monday games from 4pm to 7pm PST are streamed in amazon, 7 to 10pm PST are streamed in Disney plus. Tuesday games streamed on SN, wednesday games strramed on TSN, Thursday games streamed on CBC, Friday games streamed on Apple plus, Saturday games 4pm to 7pm streamed on Netflix, 7PM to 10PM on paramount plus and Sunday games streaned on Crave/HBO

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
American fan asking in ignorance. Is Monday night hockey really a thing? It is popular?

or is it essentially Canada's version of Thursday Night Football?? (which Amazon ironically has)

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
American fan asking in ignorance. Is Monday night hockey really a thing? It is popular?

or is it essentially Canada's version of Thursday Night Football?? (which Amazon ironically has)
Any night is popular, but Monday might be the least popular.
Saturday night being the most popular.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

It's not Canada's version of anything.

Saturday night is hockey night. Always has been always will be

This question is to no one in particular, will the Amazon games not be included in center ice packages?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad