Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Shesterkin was easily the best player on the ice in the series against the Devils last year. He was outright dominant. It's not his fault the rest of the team didn't show up in 3 of the 7 games. He didn't let in any softies either.

He has already been exemplary in the playoffs two years in a row.

He's certainly struggled this year, but he's a guy who has shown he's a playoff performer.

In every series so far, he has given the Rangers a chance to win and been a difference maker. The only series where he struggled was his first one against the penguins, and even then, it was just the first few games.

In the two playoff series he's lost - one against the lightning and one against the devils - Shesterkin was our best player by a very wide margin.

By all means, criticize the softie he let in, but give him credit where it's due.
I've learned to tune out Snowblind and goalies combined at this point, lol.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
Shesterkin was easily the best player on the ice in the series against the Devils last year. He was outright dominant. It's not his fault the rest of the team didn't show up in 3 of the 7 games. He didn't let in any softies either.

He has already been exemplary in the playoffs two years in a row.

He's certainly struggled this year, but he's a guy who has shown he's a playoff performer.

In every series so far, he has given the Rangers a chance to win and been a difference maker. The only series where he struggled was his first one against the penguins, and even then, it was just the first few games.

In the two playoff series he's lost - one against the lightning and one against the devils - Shesterkin was our best player by a very wide margin.

By all means, criticize the softie he let in, but give him credit where it's due.

One goal that gets deflected as a rising shot that changes direction and the same old people will come to shit on the only guy that shows up when it really matters. I'm still waiting for this team to show up even strength in front of the goalies that have to bail them out night in, night out. We had five nights in a row giving up 40+ shots, and that's a "good game" for the goalies for some of these guys when we win those games, but Igor lets in a softy when the team can only score on the PP and it's his fault because every goal against is a, "He should've had that."

Reactions: HolyHagelin and tlk

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
One goal that gets deflected as a rising shot that changes direction and the same old people will come to shit on the only guy that shows up when it really matters. I'm still waiting for this team to show up even strength in front of the goalies that have to bail them out night in, night out. We had five nights in a row giving up 40+ shots, and that's a "good game" for the goalies for some of these guys when we win those games, but Igor lets in a softy when the team can only score on the PP and it's his fault because every goal against is a, "He should've had that."
Agreed. Again, I'm not saying Igor is having a good season, he's not by any standard, especially his.

But he hasn't struggled much since returning from the all star break and was absolutely Vezina caliber during the month of February, specifically.

Plus, despite struggling, the guy is still 26-13-2 for the year. So it's not like he's caused the team to drop in the standings.

His overall body of work has been top notch, exceeded only by Vasilevsky since entering the league in my humble opinion. And at times, Shesty has been the best player in the league outright. Period. And that includes in the playoffs last year. Rewatch the series against the Devils if you don't believe me.

And @SnowblindNYR here has the gall to say he's not the goalie you can win a cup with? I assure you, he hasn't held the team back thus far lol. Not even close.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
This thread gets awfully quiet when Shesty has a great game. Stopped some point blank ones early with the holes in our D that could've turned the tide. Glad he got his shutout.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This thread gets awfully quiet when Shesty has a great game. Stopped some point blank ones early with the holes in our D that could've turned the tide. Glad he got his shutout.

Glad he got a shutout BUT the standards are high enough for him where getting more upset at his bad goals, games, and stretches than happy by his good stretches is warranted. He's good enough where great play should be the rule, not the exception. Lately it has been (with the exception of the goal against the Panthers).

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
When Igor is ON his tell is he's aggressively stepping up and deflecting e-w passes in front of the net.
He’s standing and knows what’s happening before it happens. He locks onto the puck like a terminator.

He had the same issue last season. Shrinking/dropping way too early. Not reading the game.

It’s night and day

Reactions: egelband

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Back up to 7th and 8th in GSAA and GSAx, respectively. I said it then, but I didn’t care about his dip in play as long as he’s back by March/April. He’s been unreal these last few weeks.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Lundqvist had exactly the same down rotten 1-1.5 months fall/winter stretches annually that robbed him of a few more career Vesina’s but not his contributions during playoff runs. It is what is.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Lundqvist had exactly the same down rotten 1-1.5 months fall/winter stretches annually that robbed him of a few more career Vesina’s but not his contributions during playoff runs. It is what is.
Yup, Lunqvist was consistent even in his annual slumps, whereas every year we'd see some pretty good to above average goalie turn it on for the entire season and come away with the Vezina

Last edited:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
1710360933088.png

The league has broken goaltenders.

1994-2015 was the golden age for goalies. We went from .900 and >3.00GAA being a good figure to atrocious, now back to okay again.

I can't help but feel like as goaltending has improved, the kinds of strategies teams use to score have changed.

1710361024033.png

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
View attachment 835249

The league has broken goaltenders.

1994-2015 was the golden age for goalies. We went from .900 and >3.00GAA being a good figure to atrocious, now back to okay again.

I can't help but feel like as goaltending has improved, the kinds of strategies teams use to score have changed.

View attachment 835251
In a relentlessly tracked league, teams will always train to exploit the most common weakness. High glove is the thing now, guys with great gloves will come up and 5-hole will be the thing, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad