Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Don't get me wrong.
I'm all for this move but if things were to go south (not saying they will) Kinkaid becomes our new starting goalie.
They should've brought in a better vet is all I'm saying.

you know we still have georgiev right?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Don't get me wrong.
I'm all for this move but if things were to go south (not saying they will) Kinkaid becomes our new starting goalie.
They should've brought in a better vet is all I'm saying.
If you have Shesterkin and Georgiev as your undisputed 1 and 2 (which everyone could see, particularly after the buyout of Hank), I'm not sure there's a ton of appeal for a higher-caliber backup than Kinkaid. I mean the job is basically "start in the AHL and be on-call in case one of our better, younger goalies is injured." Not sure the higher-end backups would be lining up for the job, particularly given that both Georgiev and Shesterkin would likely have to be injured for that other guy to start games.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Shesty should get around 60-65% of the games and Georgie the rest 35-40%

If Wall shows he's ready or Huska takes a step forward, work them in once in a while too. One of those guys makes Georgiev deadline bait.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I don’t recall, were there discussions 15 years ago that the Rangers were putting “all their eggs in one basket” by going with journeyman Kevin Weekes and rookie Henrik Lundqvist out of the lockout? My recollection is that fans were generally disappointed that Weekes was awarded the starting job out of training camp and felt that Lundqvist was ready and the better option from day 1 despite never having played in NA before.

Maybe the difference is that the Rangers kept Weekes to backup Lundqvist in year two (after 50+ starts), whereas the Rangers are going with Georgiev/Kinkaid in Shesty's year two (after 10+ starts). But I'd argue that Georgiev is better than 2006 Weekes and at least a push with 2021 Lundqvist.

Last edited:

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I don’t recall, was there discussion 15 years ago that the Rangers were putting “all their eggs in one basket” by going with journeyman Kevin Weekes and “unproven” rookie Henrik Lundqvist out of the lockout? My recollection was that fans were generally bummed that Weekes was awarded the starting job out of training camp, and felt that Lundqvist was ready and the better option from day 1 despite never having played in NA.
Shesterkin’s road is very similar to Hank‘S, except for two differences. One, Igor got that short stink in the NHL and more than held his own, and two he pushed out a beloved incumbent goalie whereas Hank had a clear path Royalty. The first adds to his resume and makes some fans even more certain, but the second keeps some fans jaded and skeptical.

Reactions: Rongomania

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Shesterkin’s road is very similar to Hank‘S, except for two differences. One, Igor got that short stink in the NHL and more than held his own, and two he pushed out a beloved incumbent goalie whereas Hank had a clear path Royalty. The first adds to his resume and makes some fans even more certain, but the second keeps some fans jaded and skeptical.

The Igor skeptics are funny, because the dude has kept his stats so consistent from the K to the A to the big show. Three entirely different defenses he's played behind as well as better and better opposition. Kid is studly.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
And Georgiev is elite. He will either let up 1 goal or 6 goals and provide no consistency in net.

He is not a starter in my opinion. Just not consistent enough.

He might or might not be a consistent starter in this league but he's a damn good backup. Shesty and Georgiev are the best under 25 tandem in the league.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Poor igor, all this fuss about Laf, no one is talking about him. Pretty cool that the hits just keep on coming. We absolugely have to be the most fortunate fans that have NOT won a Cup in what seems to be 1/4 century. Oh wait.....

SteadyEddie

Feb 1, 2010
The Igor skeptics are funny, because the dude has kept his stats so consistent from the K to the A to the big show. Three entirely different defenses he's played behind as well as better and better opposition. Kid is studly.
71-12-10 his last 3 years in the K. Sure, that was a very good team, but combined on 2 mediocre teams last year went 27-6-3. He's a proven winner.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
For real. If you can’t project Igor to be an elite goalie , then who is?

Reactions: Rongomania

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Rather than quote multiple people I'll just post.

I really like the idea of having Shesty and Georgie take over however I think there's a few things that I think some of you may be forgetting and it's quite simple.

The lack of "current" defensive depth along with no defensive structure in this terrible so called system is going to make for an extremely difficult year for these two youngsters.

These types of issues lead to the goalie being over fatigued, causes over-thinking and also increases the chance of injury.

It's far from an ideal situation for a young goalie being thrown into the fire after how many games?
But here you kid.. Just take the reigns of an original 6 team without much help and have at it lol.

I do expect to see Kinkaid up at some point this season for a multitude of reasons.

I don't think Martin is going to help much at all quite honestly but I'll reserve judgment for now.

Lundqvist didn't have to face what these 2 kids are up against when he came up so I don't see how he's relevant in this convo.

I know, I know.. We're in a retool err rebuild.
I'm chill lol

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
This might not be common knowledge but Shesterkin is literally the all time KHL leader in career SV% & GAA among goalies who played 85+ games.

So he's gonna save the team this year?
The KHL might as well be a third world country as compared to the NHL.

Trust me.. I'm excited to have him but talk about getting thrown into the fire?

We're about to see how good he really is..

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
The Rangers held on to Georgiev. They signed Kinkaid to two years at NHL salary both years. I can’t imagine what they could have done that could be described less accurately as throwing him to the wolves.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
The Rangers held on to Georgiev. They signed Kinkaid to two years at NHL salary both years. I can’t imagine what they could have done that could be described less accurately as throwing him to the wolves.

Maybe you should put a little thought into the current situation.
I just spelt it out for you and requires a little common sense.

They signed an AHL level goalie for NHL salary?
Wtf is Kinkade even here?

If one goalie goes down with an injury, are you prepared to see him on back to back nights?

Just more dollar store shopping

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Maybe you should put a little thought into the current situation.
I just spelt it out for you and requires a little common sense.

They signed an AHL level goalie for NHL salary?
Wtf is Kinkade even here?

If one goalie goes down with an injury, are you prepared to see him on back to back nights?

Just more dollar store shopping
Kinkaid is signed to be the third goalie. What's confusing you here? They paid a premium to get an experienced NHL goalie in that slot.

Yes, I would be prepared to see Kinkaid jump in for a spot start. Who would you feel comfortable with in that spot? Should they have signed Markstrom?

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Kinkaid is signed to be the third goalie. What's confusing you here? They paid a premium to get an experienced NHL goalie in that slot.

Yes, I would be prepared to see Kinkaid jump in for a spot start. Who would you feel comfortable with in that spot? Should they have signed Markstrom?

Re-read your own post and tell me what's wrong with this equation other than you posting nonsense in the first place :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad