Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I can't find my post from a few months back but through all levels Igor has won about 72% of games he's started and has gotten a point in about 76% of the games he's started. I'd have to do the math again but it was something awesome like that.

Hank has won 53% of his starts and has gotten at least a point in 64% of his starts. Prime Hank is definitely higher and I don't think that's sustainable for Igor but damn those are great numbers. He should be a lock for 30 wins every year.

And maybe this flat cap and wild goalie offseason will reset the market for goalies and we won't need to pay Igor a boatload on his next contract.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I think we're starting to see a trend of paying prime goalies at a lower rate than prime skaters (they'll still get paid well, but at like a 20% discount to others), and that will only benefit the Rangers and other teams going forward.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I feel like I was (and likely still am) out on an island with this opinion, but having a star goaltender is a problem. Your goalie just cannot be taking up a significant portion of the cap if you want to have depth throughout the lineup. There’s a reason why the Rangers didn’t win a Cup with Hank. There’s a reason why those key injuries to Zucc and the defense proved decisive in the years the Rangers came close.

This team needs to win before Shesterkin gets paid. That extra $6M in Vasilevsky’s pocket is going to make it really difficult for TB to win multiple Cups.

this is a nonsense argument...the rangers spent plenty on forwards and dmen they just did it on the wrong ones...paying Nash $7.8 mil to be Jan Erixon instead of an elite forward has nothing to do with hank.

And we had plenty of depth most of those years, we just lacked top end talent cause we never had 1st round picks and the guys we paid the $$ to didn't get it done.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
I feel like I was (and likely still am) out on an island with this opinion, but having a star goaltender is a problem. Your goalie just cannot be taking up a significant portion of the cap if you want to have depth throughout the lineup. There’s a reason why the Rangers didn’t win a Cup with Hank. There’s a reason why those key injuries to Zucc and the defense proved decisive in the years the Rangers came close.

This team needs to win before Shesterkin gets paid. That extra $6M in Vasilevsky’s pocket is going to make it really difficult for TB to win multiple Cups.

I'm on that island too, most of the time.

Goalies are voodoo, for one. Second, how many times is there 3 or 4 teams in the playoffs that seem to go deep with a journeyman goalie who just gets hot at the right time?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I'm on that island too, most of the time.

Goalies are voodoo, for one. Second, how many times is there 3 or 4 teams in the playoffs that seem to go deep with a journeyman goalie who just gets hot at the right time?

it happens often although a team like the Flyers took way too long to fine one. It’s as if goalies are similar to baseball closers. For one Mariano we have many rotating the stock.

Reactions: NY Lito

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
this is a nonsense argument...the rangers spent plenty on forwards and dmen they just did it on the wrong ones...paying Nash $7.8 mil to be Jan Erixon instead of an elite forward has nothing to do with hank.

And we had plenty of depth most of those years, we just lacked top end talent cause we never had 1st round picks and the guys we paid the $$ to didn't get it done.

Excellent points. If you compare our roster (and what we hope our roster will be) to the Lightning, it can work. They have Kuch, Vasi, Stammer, and Hedman making the big bucks. Then you have guys like Point, Mac, Palat, and Gourde all making over 5. My point is it can work but it is tough. Yes they're in a tough spot now but they've just won a cup and have been perennial contenders. It's all been worth it.

If our top guys perform like top guys in the playoffs, it won't matter about how much Igor is making.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I just find it kind of amusing everyone are so certain Shesterkin will be the next saviour in net, after his mighty 13 NHL games as a sample. Talent and all, he has never been even close to trying to handle the traditional NYR hen house in the own zone as a starter against the elite talent of the world. Good luck with the hopes. The closest to that enviroment would perhaps be Shesty's game 4 in the playoffs, when the team was crushed and lost against Carolina. He didn't exactly steal it, he kind of looked exactly like Lundqvist.

Shesterkin entered the NHL after the first half of the season debacle, where NYR were absolutely atrocious in their own zone with zero structure. Wait and see how he handles the traditional hen house before all the praises as a goalie Jesus. Just saying. I think he has the potential, but so many of you type like he already is. Give him some room and hold back a bit on the expectations. He looks really good, but don't expect too much yet. 13 games FFS.

Not that I blame you, it seems the NYR management are of the same opinion. 13 games is enough.

Reactions: NYR

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I just find it kind of amusing everyone are so certain Shesterkin will be the next saviour in net, after his mighty 13 NHL games as a sample. Talent and all, he has never been even close to trying to handle the traditional NYR hen house in the own zone as a starter against the elite talent of the world. Good luck with the hopes. The closest to that enviroment would perhaps be Shesty's game 4 in the playoffs, when the team was crushed and lost against Carolina. He didn't exactly steal it, he kind of looked exactly like Lundqvist.

Shesterkin entered the NHL after the first half of the season debacle, where NYR were absolutely atrocious in their own zone with zero structure. Wait and see how he handles the traditional hen house before all the praises as a goalie Jesus. Just saying. I think he has the potential, but so many of you type like he already is. Give him some room and hold back a bit on the expectations. He looks really good, but don't expect too much yet. 13 games FFS.

Not that I blame you, it seems the NYR management are of the same opinion. 13 games is enough.

I don't think it's only the 13 games - but based on his track record of what he did in Russia. At the very least, it does look like he'll be AT LEAST a solid/good starter that you can win with.

Reactions: NY Lito

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Check out what he did for 4 years before in Russia. Also how he played in Hartford and what happened after he left when Huska took over.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019

I know it's only 13 games, but, honestly I'm convinced he's the real deal. Just watch the way he moves in the crease. It's remarkable.

1*mUAaR5GTC2J9lvLTYqfcWw.gif

ezgif-com-video-to-gif3.gif

And his glove is magical.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

This is true AF but that's the way this GM rolls unfortunately..

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ

Yes, management is all in on Shesty being the greatest goalie to ever play. Not like they didn’t reward their other young goalie, who is younger than Shesty to a nice two year contract, where they can both get a fair amount of games now that Hank is thankfully gone.

Reactions: egelband

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Seems like you're trying to defend Hank's honor. It's so transparent, give it a rest.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Seems like you're trying to defend Hank's honor. It's so transparent, give it a rest.

What are you talking about?

JG decided to put all his cards on an unknown and while I'm a huge Shesty fan, this way of playing the cards has without question burnt him before.

There's no denying that..

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

His numbers in the KHL are literally comparable to what Gretzky was to the NHL. He has near all-time record numbers in every statistical category throughout his career. He has been the best goalie in the KHL, the best in the AHL, and in the small sample size the best in the NHL. He is more of a shoe in to be elite than Kakko, maybe even Lafreniere. I'd rank him as the most untouchable player on our team after Laf.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
His numbers in the KHL are literally comparable to what Gretzky was to the NHL. He has near all-time record numbers in every statistical category throughout his career. He has been the best goalie in the KHL, the best in the AHL, and in the small sample size the best in the NHL. He is more of a shoe in to be elite than Kakko, maybe even Lafreniere. I'd rank him as the most untouchable player on our team after Laf.

But is he Swedish?

Reactions: EdJovanovski

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
What are you talking about?

JG decided to put all his cards on an unknown and while I'm a huge Shesty fan, this way of playing the cards has without question burnt him before.

There's no denying that..

Should they have kept starting Hank?

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

He has been super successful in the KHL and AHL also. It's not just 12 games in NHL although his 10-2 record along with a .932 save % and 2.5 goals against was pretty damn impressive even if it was a small sample size.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He has been super successful in the KHL and AHL also. It's not just 12 games in NHL although his 10-2 record along with a .932 save % and 2.5 goals against was pretty damn impressive even if it was a small sample size.

The idea that the team all of a sudden played great when he came in is a fairy tale as the other goalies weren't doing as well around that time. He just says that to defend Hank's honor.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
I definitely think it is the right move that was made, but I kind of agree a bit with Chimp, that it's not guaranteed that Shesty will be the elite goaltender for the next 10+ years. Something that quite a few seem to be very sure of, even trashing spending a 4th round pick on a goalie "because we are set for the next decade".

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Not at all but if you're gonna make the move, have a plan instead of putting all the eggs in one basket and pray that it works.

Kinkaid is the current backup plan..

I love Hank but this take is kinda ridiculous.

First off, you are ignoring Shesty and his consistent performance in the 2nd best professional league. He has also been pretty good on the international stage and probably would have been AHL MVP if he stayed in Hartford all year.

Second, the obvious dismissal of Georgiev. Georgiev has shown some flashes while he is on his game. While some may see him as a "future starter" he still has to work ok the kinks in his consistency and mental toughness.

Compare the Rangers goalie situation, name a better goalie tandem under the age of 25.

For as how volatile Hank and Georgiev were before the Shesty call up, the person in net was typically not our biggest issue on the ice. Shesty had this almost Hank-in his prime- effect on our team.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
What do you propose as a better solution than replacing Hank with the best goaltending prospect in the world?

Don't get me wrong.
I'm all for this move but if things were to go south (not saying they will) Kinkaid becomes our new starting goalie.
They should've brought in a better vet is all I'm saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad