Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
3pueqe.jpg

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I know Hank played more games in his rookie year but how do you guys think they compare?
Shesterkin's fundamentals are very solid, but I think Lundqvist's lateral movement impressed more at the era he had his rookie year. Also, Lundqvist ended up third in Vezina voting and probably would've won the Calder, if not Ovechkin and Crosby entered as rookies the same year. I think also Phaneuf entered the same year and he was spoken very highly of.

Shesterkin makes difficult saves look easy, but he hasn't had any real highlight reel saves to speak of so far. He's more of a butterfly goalie.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Shesterkin's fundamentals are very solid, but I think Lundqvist's lateral movement impressed more at the era he had his rookie year. Also, Lundqvist ended up third in Vezina voting and probably would've won the Calder, if not Ovechkin and Crosby entered as rookies the same year. I think also Phaneuf entered the same year and he was spoken very highly of.

Shesterkin makes difficult saves look easy, but he hasn't had any real highlight reel saves to speak of so far. He's more of a butterfly goalie.

He hasn't had many because like you said, he's very drama free in net and makes hard saves look like a walk in the park.

I agree though, Hank was a beast that year. Not sure Igor will top him

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
His reflexes are simply off the charts good. His lateral movement is top notch as well it's just very subtle like Carey Price. In his heydey Price would get across the crease via air gliding, seemingly no push off or anything it was beautiful to see and Igor is similar. Hank gets a super strong push and it's very visible but it's not any more effective. The cross ice goal Igor gave up to Chicago was an excellent screen on the slap fake and the shooter then placed it perfectly. It happens though seemingly not often with Igor.

But he had several jaw dropping saves again Chicago. The deflection where he reached around the screen and nabbed the puck flashing his glove was tear worthy. He also had a rebound save the other night against Chicago where he maneuvered his blocker and juuuust got a piece on a shot from in close to deflect it wide. Got a piece with a high glove ripper that he deflected out of play as well. He has had more than a few of those. He's calm and collected in net but his reflexes are off the chart.

I'd like to see him be more aware of the 5-hole on breakways though. It's a bread and butter move for today's NHLer, especially when you know the goalie is young and aggressive like Igor is on breakaways. He's had two go against him so far I think (his first shot he faced in the NHL was one which I can hardly fault him for) but I'm sure other players are now going to go to it more often as well on him thinking he's open to it. He made a couple of big 5 hole saves towards the end of the game against Chicago that I really thought would squeeze through but didn't in the end. Other than that no complaints whatsoever.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
His reflexes are simply off the charts good. His lateral movement is top notch as well it's just very subtle like Carey Price. In his heydey Price would get across the crease via air gliding, seemingly no push off or anything it was beautiful to see and Igor is similar. Hank gets a super strong push and it's very visible but it's not any more effective. The cross ice goal Igor gave up to Chicago was an excellent screen on the slap fake and the shooter then placed it perfectly. It happens though seemingly not often with Igor.

But he had several jaw dropping saves again Chicago. The deflection where he reached around the screen and nabbed the puck flashing his glove was tear worthy. He also had a rebound save the other night against Chicago where he maneuvered his blocker and juuuust got a piece on a shot from in close to deflect it wide. Got a piece with a high glove ripper that he deflected out of play as well. He has had more than a few of those. He's calm and collected in net but his reflexes are off the chart.

I'd like to see him be more aware of the 5-hole on breakways though. It's a bread and butter move for today's NHLer, especially when you know the goalie is young and aggressive like Igor is on breakaways. He's had two go against him so far I think (his first shot he faced in the NHL was one which I can hardly fault him for) but I'm sure other players are now going to go to it more often as well on him thinking he's open to it. He made a couple of big 5 hole saves towards the end of the game against Chicago that I really thought would squeeze through but didn't in the end. Other than that no complaints whatsoever.

I think we need a bigger sample size on breakways but his biggest area of improvement is when the puck is behind the net and gets put in front. He has given up a few of those and I think that is the biggest adjustment from KHL to NHL is the area behind the net and those angles. Prime Hank was almost telepathic the way he read those plays so I'm sure Benoit will be able to help Igor improve.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
The most impressive thing about him compared to other goalies is him using his stick to either poke check or make a breakout pass
His reaction time is ridiculous too. They just showed a replay where he didn’t flinch until after the Canes player shot the puck on a 2 on 1. Like the puck was half way to the net and he just punched it away casually.

also last game, the deflection save he made off Skjei shouldn’t be humanly possible

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
we need a nickname for him and please dont say the czar or something stupid like that

he moves like a spider

in soccer the russians had a great goalie back in the day named yashin who they called the black spider
I think Igor should be our blue spider or red spider or just the spider

spider shesterkin

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
we need a nickname for him and please dont say the czar or something stupid like that

he moves like a spider

in soccer the russians had a great goalie back in the day named yashin who they called the black spider
I think Igor should be our blue spider or red spider or just the spider

spider shesterkin
I can't stand czar either.

I've said it before... he reminds me of a DBZ character, teleporting around. Flashing in and out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad