How did Panarin for Saad work out?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol what this can’t be real

The accent thing? Lol, actually legit. There was an article posted about it.

Some sauce...

"If I was talking to Panarin," Kane said. "I would speak to him in [English, but with] a Russian accent."

Their third linemate, Artem Anisimov, served as de facto linguist -- being that he is Russian and proficient in English. "Yeah, [Kane] try the fake accents," Anisimov said. "[Jonathan] Toews does the fake accent too sometimes. It gets worse, honestly, I don't understand them when they do their accents sometimes. But they try anyway."

How players bridge hockey's language barrier

They're not that bright.

Player doesn't understand English all that much? Let me do a mocking accent IN ENGLISH to see if that helps. So idiotic.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think the deal was made out of frustration. When Artemii scored that point in the last game of the regular to get his $3M bonus he was so happy. I'm sure, the management wasn't, though. And then the team had an epic failure in the playoffs, so Bowman had his revenge on him and traded Panarin. It looks like Panarin has won the deal in the end, though.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Playing on a team like the Jackets is just the logical next step in Panarin's career. He's good enough to be the go-to guy and has the motivation to want to be that for a competitive team.

Chicago moved him because of the cap. They were essentially forced to do so. Yes, Saad is underperforming but this is just a minor blip for him since I think it's more attributable to the Hawks as a whole underperforming.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Terribly, Panarin is the superior player. The "playoff type" meme for Saad will do the Hawks nothing if they're golfing after the next 4 regulars seasons.

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
After last nights hat trick/ four point night, Panarin is leading his team to the playoffs. With 68 points in 74 games, he hasn't missed a beat since the trade.

Saad on the other hand, is having his worst full season ever, as his points have dipped dramatically to 31 in 74 games. Understandably, he is on the weaker team, but the idea was he would come back and be a 60 point guy playing beside Towes again.

I knew when this trade went down, it was the Blue Jackets winning it, but who could have predicted it would be this big of a blow out in the first year? Will the Blackhawks regret trying to bring back the old squad? (the answer is yes)

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
giphy1.gif

Come up with an original thread if you want to join in on crapping on the Blackhawks.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It seemed like one of those "trade just to shake things up / send a message" type moves for Bowman at the time, those usually don't work out.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
No surprise here. It was a bizarre trade to begin with that barely even saved the Hawks any money. Everyone at the time except for nostalgic Hawks fans knew this was a terrible deal.

Note also that Saad was brought in to 'make other players better' but obviously has not, whereas the lack of Panarin is clearly effecting certain players point totals.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Looks like Panarin stepped his game up and Saad had a terrible year on the scoresheet, not much else to say.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Agreed. That trade wasn't terrible for the hawks. Panarin for Saad was and that's due to them wanting to cut costs.

It was still terrible for the Hawks. They got a guy back as a main piece who might not score 40 points this season.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
3 cups is bad?
Hawks are paying the price now for too much winning. So be it.
I don't understand this mentality, seems like just something the fanbase uses to make themselves feel better (and don't get me wrong, I'd be happy if my Sens won one cup let alone three). There shouldn't have been a cutoff point at three cups for the Hawks to still be a good team year in year out.
It's a delicate balancing act between being ruthless while still maintaining a successful team culture and it seems like in the last year or two despite winning a couple trades that Stan Bowman overall has lost the plot on some major deals.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
This deal was also focused around contract term. They now have Saad locked in at his current cap hit for 4 years rather than having to give Panarin a raise in 2, or trade/let him walk. Let's ride this out before coming to a final conclusion. Saad is having the worst year of his career, but what if he bounces back and becomes a consistent 50 point player again? If Panarin continues to put up 70 points every year, he will not be making $6M come 2019. A lot of what ifs, but this has plenty of potential to still work out in the Hawks' favor, or at least be even.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
No surprise here. It was a bizarre trade to begin with that barely even saved the Hawks any money. Everyone at the time except for nostalgic Hawks fans knew this was a terrible deal.

Note also that Saad was brought in to 'make other players better' but obviously has not, whereas the lack of Panarin is clearly effecting certain players point totals.
Yeah, downgrading on the wing to appease Toews was a horrendous move. Toews is already horribly overpaid, and they just compounded the problem.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Panarin is the clear cut better player. Yeah, Saad could turn it around but he has been next to invisible all year.

Reactions: Actuarial

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
For a while it was looking like both teams, play off teams last season, were gonna miss this year.
You coulda made the case that it didn't work out for either team.

But I have to believe CBJ makes it.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
it looked ugly on June 23rd 2017
Enh. It looked potentially problematic that day, which is not quite the same thing. It was clearly unbalanced at the time, but not severely so. It's the players' (and teams') respective performances that have made it look severely so.

This is the sort of outcome that was predictable but seemingly unlikely. But that's the thing about the real world - sometimes unlikely things happen. (Like third-liners abruptly turning into high-shooting-percentage snipers when they're picked up by an expansion team...)

Reactions: Dumais

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad