How did Panarin for Saad work out?

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
He stunk without the puck and shied away from contact in the playoffs. If he's improved on that, congrats.

Didn't watch much of Panarin on the Hawks but I can assure you he has been anything but stinky away from the puck as a Blue Jacket. In fact, he has been one of -- if not THE best forward away from the puck on the roster. Guy works his bag off every shift in all zones.

Honestly -- I can't find a hole in the guy's game right now and he damn near carried the entire offense for 3/4ths of the season. He's blown way past my expectations and is no doubt the best forward the Jackets have ever had. Love watching this guy and hope we throw the bank at him -- and that is coming from a guy who is not big on building around wingers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kington91

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Didn't watch much of Panarin on the Hawks but I can assure you he has been anything but stinky away from the puck as a Blue Jacket. In fact, he has been one of -- if not THE best forward away from the puck on the roster. Guy works his bag off every shift in all zones.

Honestly -- I can't find a hole in the guy's game right now and he damn near carried the entire offense for 3/4ths of the season. He's blown way past my expectations and is no doubt the best forward the Jackets have ever had. Love watching this guy and hope we throw the bank at him -- and that is coming from a guy who is not big on building around wingers.

Post was about Tuevo

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I suppose the reason they did it will be more obvious when Panarin's next extension kicks in. But right now the production isn't close so maybe it will never be good

I'm confused how that is somehow considered not the blatantly obvious thing. From nearly all sense of awareness this and contract stability more long term was the points made about this trade.

If either team was even going anywhere this year it would make more sense to view it on some short scope. But with Panarin Chicago even if a playoff team is not impressive and CBJ is an 8th seed bouncing in and out of contention with him.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Sure stans made his bad moves every GM has. What about the Panik trade? We got panik for nothing(jeremy morin) and panik turned into a 20 goal scorer with us last season. How about the shaw trade? We got alex ****ing debrincat (+another 2nd rounder) for andrew shaw. Every GM has their bad moves and their good moves. Your opinion on any given GM depends on which side of the table you want to look at. And im usually a pretty big critic of stans. But to say hes bottom 3 is asinine

Hard not to disagree with you there.

But when the good is completely outweighed by the bad...its pretty telling.

Reactions: Go Wings

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Hawks made the trade for a few reasons. One, they've historically won with Kane playing with basically anybody. Two, there was talk the cap would actually go down but LV has been awesome, so now it's looking like they would have actually been able to sign Panarin at 8m per (Hawks will have a lot of cap space this summer/next). Three, Hawks wanted to replace more of what Hossa brought and were banking on DeBrincat's skill set to replace Panarin's, which he mostly has, just Q is an idiot and won't play him with Kane because balance or something.

But this idea from a couple Hawks fans that Panarin is a soft perimeter player is nonsense and rationalizing a trade that has not worked out. AP is a world class player, Hawks were never getting the better player in the deal. Panarin is not soft, he showed some grit a few times in past and had a couple fights when Kane got laid out by Dumba, etc. But there is something to be said that his game probably regressed a bit in terms of creativity from year one to year two, but I put that more on Q for not giving him his own line and probably telling him to simplify because Panarin was way more creative off the rush in year one as opposed to year two where he mostly looked for one timers from Kane. Panarin should have been given his own line at some point despite the chemistry with Kane.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Hard not to disagree with you there.

But when the good is completely outweighed by the bad...its pretty telling.
Like penosity said a price comes to winning. Sure rutherford(?) In pittsburgh handled it better but not many GM's even on his level

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
Chicago would not be able to sign Panarin for $8 million next year. Bowman is not an idiot. Trading Panarin for Saad was never a hockey decision. It was a business decision. Panarin is not coming back to the Hawks. He is the #1 guy in Columbus, playing with a solid young core. The team has a huge potential, and Panarin is the star. I am sure he misses Kane, but that's not a good enough reason to sign with Chicago as a UFA.

Reactions: TheMule93

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Panarin with the hat trick tonight. First as a CBJ. 3 points away from being a PPG player this season... oh and he had this to say after the game:

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Seemed like a dumb move at the time as well as bringing Sharp back, even for pennies on the dollar. They tried to re-create the old magic they had and it didnt work.

They are in cap hell and deservingly so...but I would give MacKinnon and Landeskog 8x10.5 without hesitation if they gave me 3 cups too.

3 Cups is easily worth x years of sucking.

Reactions: AnimalFear

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Chicago would not be able to sign Panarin for $8 million next year. Bowman is not an idiot. Trading Panarin for Saad was never a hockey decision. It was a business decision. Panarin is not coming back to the Hawks. He is the #1 guy in Columbus, playing with a solid young core. The team has a huge potential, and Panarin is the star. I am sure he misses Kane, but that's not a good enough reason to sign with Chicago as a UFA.

Panarin probably had more value, but he opted to re-acquire his 'boy' Saad. Who is simply not that good, and never was. Always a complementary player. The only line driver we have is Kane, and sometimes Schmaltz.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
Panarin probably had more value, but he opted to re-acquire his 'boy' Saad. Who is simply not that good, and never was. Always a complementary player. The only line driver we have is Kane, and sometimes Schmaltz.
That part was incredibly dumb. If you need to trade Panarin for cap reasons, so be it. But make a smart trade that can help with the rebuild.

Reactions: Rolo

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Panarin was one of the best in the league, but was too fragile in the playoffs supposedly according to management so it was time to return the old guard, and get Saad back. Now the Hawks who had playoff trouble with Panarin won't even come close to making the playoffs with Saad. How do you think the management feels now?

Saad?

Reactions: db2011

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Panarin was one of the best in the league, but was too fragile in the playoffs supposedly according to management so it was time to return the old guard, and get Saad back. Now the Hawks who had playoff trouble with Panarin won't even come close to making the playoffs with Saad. How do you think the management feels now?

Maybe he wanted out because of the "fake russian accents" that Kane and Toews liked to use with Russian players to make them feel welcomed.

Either way, it was horrible when it was made, it's even worse now.

KotBegemot

Feb 18, 2018
As much as I miss magic of dynamic Panarin-Kane duo I'm glad Artemi got traded. He grew as a player in Columbus and now can be THE guy there. The fact that no other than guy like Tortorella compliments on his defensive game and board work says something.
However we'll see how it works in playoffs, did he really become a better player or he was just shining amongst lacking and underachieving offence in regular season. Atkinson came back to life, PLD makes people forget about PoolParty also Foligno and Jenner look like they are now ready for playoff hockey. And Seth Jones who I believe will be among Norris contenders no later than next season. So he'll have some help at least.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Look at their defense, it's awful. Keith took a big step back. Keith's decline, Hossa's retirement and the Panarin trade were too much to overcome.

You missed arguably the biggest move that hurt this season outside of Crawfords two injuries this year (Hjalmarsson)

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Seemed like a dumb move at the time as well as bringing Sharp back, even for pennies on the dollar. They tried to re-create the old magic they had and it didnt work.

They are in cap hell and deservingly so...but I would give MacKinnon and Landeskog 8x10.5 without hesitation if they gave me 3 cups too.

3 Cups is easily worth x years of sucking.

roughly 10 million in space ( 15 with Hossa LTIRd) this offseason under an 80 million cap is cap hell now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad