How did Panarin for Saad work out?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Panarin was one of the best in the league, but was too fragile in the playoffs supposedly according to management so it was time to return the old guard, and get Saad back. Now the Hawks who had playoff trouble with Panarin won't even come close to making the playoffs with Saad. How do you think the management feels now?

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
It would be hard to say how Hawks management feels without projecting a bit. That said, the whole trade seemed like a worthwhile chance take, albeit rather risky. Fact of the matter is they needed to get Toews producing again more than they needed the extra points from Panarin. Unfortunately, he hasn't really done so and additionally Saad's points have fallen through the floor. I doubt they take as big a gamble next time, but you can be sure they'll try again in some form.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Panarin was traded because of cap issues I believe, not because he's fragile. And now that the cap is going up, I'm sure the hawks would love to have him back. At the time I thought it was a good trade for both teams; Jackets need a scorer, and Hawks wanted a player that would be tougher to play against plus a teammate for Toews. But due to things outside the control of the Hawks...its become a bad trade for them.

As CBJ fan, very happy with Panarin.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
The whole Panarin sucked in the playoffs thing was and is a ridiculous notion. He was PPG in the 2016 series vs St. Louis and it's hard to hate on him too much for what was a complete team meltdown last year versus Nashville.

Having said that, both players had similar even strength production the previous two seasons. Panarin was a bit higher, but not by a whole lot and he did have Kane with him.

The difference between players was supposed to only be noticeable with special teams. Panarin had a huge points advantage over Saad in that category (he was good at PP, Saad not so much). Panarin was never a PK guy for the Hawks (couldn't tell you if he gets any PK time in Columbus), but Saad was for us when he was originally here. And if anyone cares to remember, the Hawks had near record breaking numbers (the bad kind!) the first half of last season when it came to the PK. So on paper, some of (not all) the special teams advantage that Panarin had should've been mitigated by Saad helping our PK not be a tire fire.

And our PK got better. Unfortunately our PP went way, way, way down. Also unfortunate was that Saad has had his worst season in years.

The Hawks did get two more years of Saad then they would've had with Panarin, so I'm not all that heartbroken about the trade. If Panarin kept playing with Kane, he'd likely be asking for around $10m after next year and we have to try signing Schmaltz that same offseason (and DeBrincat the year after).

Not to mention that the Hawks are missing the playoffs because Crawford got a nasty concussion that has sidelined him since late December. Even if we did make the playoffs this year, unless Crow magically came back and was 100%, this team would be an easy out. At least we get a chance at Dahlin now.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Panarin was traded because of cap issues I believe, not because he's fragile. And now that the cap is going up, I'm sure the hawks would love to have him back. At the time I thought it was a good trade for both teams; Jackets need a scorer, and Hawks wanted a player that would be tougher to play against plus a teammate for Toews. But due to things outside the control of the Hawks...its become a bad trade for them.

As CBJ fan, very happy with Panarin.
Wasn’t Panarin traded for Saad because apparently Toews and Kane missed Saad?
I remember how a lot of people doubted Panarin saying he’s a product of Kane, imo CBJ wins this heavily

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Wasn’t Panarin traded for Saad because apparently Toews and Kane missed Saad?
I remember how a lot of people doubted Panarin saying he’s a product of Kane, imo CBJ wins this heavily
I never really believed that...don't trade a player like Panarin to make 10.5m players happy. I think it had more to do with cap space, it's been a problem for the Hawks for sometime now. Even before Toews & Kane got those new contracts.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Panarin has been so valuable to the Blue Jackets. Crazy skilled and creative offensively while being a great puck manager. The team has quite a few forward producing a lot less than usual; his scoring has been absolutely crucial in keeping the team in the playoff race. He might finish with ~25 goals, 70 points while no other forward hits 50 points or 20 goals.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It would be hard to say how Hawks management feels without projecting a bit. That said, the whole trade seemed like a worthwhile chance take, albeit rather risky. Fact of the matter is they needed to get Toews producing again more than they needed the extra points from Panarin. Unfortunately, he hasn't really done so and additionally Saad's points have fallen through the floor. I doubt they take as big a gamble next time, but you can be sure they'll try again in some form.

If you are paying a player $10.5M, you should never have to trade a player of Panarin's caliber to get him to start producing again.

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
If you are paying a player $10.5M, you should never have to trade a player of Panarin's caliber to get him to start producing again.
Hey I completely agree in principal, but the fact of the matter is he isn't producing and both ownership and management are probably going to be determined to get some measure of mileage out of that contract. I don't have a ton of sympathy for them to be honest, they dug their own grave on this one.

Reactions: iSophagus

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
for the Hawks... not that great this year. For the future, who knows.
Part of the reason was the contract lenght and future payment. Not sure if retaining Panarin would have been possible.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Him and Kane were money together. It's like they tried to fix something that wasn't broke and just made it worse.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
What's worse for Chi in the bigger picture is that they also dropped wizard Teuvo. 21 goals, 35 asissts and 56 points at the moment in 70 games and the only Canes forward with a positive plus|minus rating. If Chi still had Teuvo they could do way better line combos.

But no, he wasn't a "Quenneville type of player"...

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018
Excluding Kane, Panarin was probably the most valuable forward on the Hawks at the time. Could they not have shed another contract instead of trading him away?

As has been shown over and over again, the Hawks don't succeed through Kane. They succeed through their 1st line. Toews plays well, the Hawks win. He doesn't, they don't. Kane plays well or doesn't, makes no difference to the outcome. I hope you guys haven't forgot about the disappearing acting and benching that happened to Kane against Tampa

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I suppose the reason they did it will be more obvious when Panarin's next extension kicks in. But right now the production isn't close so maybe it will never be good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad