How did Panarin for Saad work out?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Hawks lost on both Saad trades

The trade that gave him away for a 3rd line C in Anisimov was terrible (Especially when Hawks basically decided they wanted Seabrook longterm rather then Saad)

And now this debacle with Saad falling apart and Forsberg a joke of a netminder

Stanley should be fired and deserves to be fired but because of his last name he will not be held accountable

Apr 9, 2009
USA
This deal was also focused around contract term. They now have Saad locked in at his current cap hit for 4 years rather than having to give Panarin a raise in 2, or trade/let him walk. Let's ride this out before coming to a final conclusion. Saad is having the worst year of his career, but what if he bounces back and becomes a consistent 50 point player again? If Panarin continues to put up 70 points every year, he will not be making $6M come 2019. A lot of what ifs, but this has plenty of potential to still work out in the Hawks' favor, or at least be even.

It's bad because you guys still have players like Seabrook on the roster, and not Panarin.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Everyone wrote the Bruins off and where are they now? Chicago will bounce back with great drafting and developing. They will cut some dead weight loose and be back to being competitive. You aren't going to be the bottom of the barrel if you have someone like Kane in your lineup. Crawford is not too shabby either, the injury to him derailed the whole hawks season.

Hossa was clearly the unsung hero on that team and a huge loss when he discovered his fake allergy.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
giphy1.gif

Come up with an original thread if you want to join in on crapping on the Blackhawks.

Just multiply this by 50 times a year for 10 years and see what it is like to be an oilers fan on these forums.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Panarin is also playing on an offensively slumping CBJ team with lots of potential. I could see Panarin putting up 90 points when things improve.

Reactions: CBJSTH

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
It seemed like one of those "trade just to shake things up / send a message" type moves for Bowman at the time, those usually don't work out.
I think it was a cap move. Panarin was two years from ufa, Saad is locked up two more seasons than Panarin. Still looks awful, Panarin is just a much better player and many of us said it at the time of the trade.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think it was a cap move. Panarin was two years from ufa, Saad is locked up two more seasons than Panarin. Still looks awful, Panarin is just a much better player and many of us said it at the time of the trade.
the funny part is we added Tyler Motte to the deal as well!!! lol Panarin and Motte for Saad

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't think they lost the Anisimov/Saad trade at all. The way Saad is playing, Anisimov is better than him right now, and makes 1.5mil less. Plus they got a good young talent in Dano that they were able to use to flip for a deadline piece.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The Hjalmarsson one was way worse still, but yes this was a terrible move. Panarin is a game breaker while Saad is a great complimentary piece.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
I suppose "better fit" would have to be the argument, but Panarin just seems the clearly better player.

And as someone mentioned, just give Panarin his own line. Players like Hartman, DeBrincat, whomever, it's obvious that Artemi Panarin can drive a line.

He's got the same amount of goals as Kane, two less assists (in the same number of games), but Panarin is + 17 to Kane's - 15. And Saad... has 31 points and is a -8 in 74 games.

But I'm open to being educated as to how Chicago didn't lose that trade.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
People keep saying "well the hawks would have had to trade him anyway" well, if that's the case than their NHL scouting staff were blinded by Kane and Co to the truth that is Panarin. He may not be THE guy to build around, but for a winger, he's as close as they come to being another Kane.

I get that they had to pay Kane and Toews, but he's the kinda player you trade everyone else away and rebuild a team with. It's something I feel like Chicago (and Pittsburgh) have been able to do extremely well for the last decade and that's being able to effectively bring in skilled depth players to help your core. And Panarin without a doubt should have taken someone else's spot on the core.

Who knows, maybe he never finds this extra gear constantly being in Kanes shadow and never gets a chip on his shoulder for being traded away.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
This deal was also focused around contract term. They now have Saad locked in at his current cap hit for 4 years rather than having to give Panarin a raise in 2, or trade/let him walk. Let's ride this out before coming to a final conclusion. Saad is having the worst year of his career, but what if he bounces back and becomes a consistent 50 point player again? If Panarin continues to put up 70 points every year, he will not be making $6M come 2019. A lot of what ifs, but this has plenty of potential to still work out in the Hawks' favor, or at least be even.
What if Panarin comes home? He might.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
but Panarin is + 17 to Kane's - 15. And Saad... has 31 points and is a -8 in 74 games.

With regards to the +/-, one guy is playing in front of a Veizina caliber goalie and the other is playing in front of AHL goal tending. That has a lot to do with it.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
I think that most people are missing the point by analyzing the Panarin/Saad trade.
It's not the trade that looks bad, or Saad compared to Panarin... it's Patrick Kane.
Panarin and Kane have almost identical stat lines. Panarin was supposed to be the product of Kane, a very laughable so-said fact even before the trade. And look now!

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
After last nights hat trick/ four point night, Panarin is leading his team to the playoffs. With 68 points in 74 games, he hasn't missed a beat since the trade.

Saad on the other hand, is having his worst full season ever, as his points have dipped dramatically to 31 in 74 games. Understandably, he is on the weaker team, but the idea was he would come back and be a 60 point guy playing beside Towes again.

I knew when this trade went down, it was the Blue Jackets winning it, but who could have predicted it would be this big of a blow out in the first year? Will the Blackhawks regret trying to bring back the old squad? (the answer is yes)

The Blackhawks took a chance in bringing him back to try to reclaim the glory they had a few years ago, it didn't pay off, simple as that.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
With regards to the +/-, one guy is playing in front of a Veizina caliber goalie and the other is playing in front of AHL goal tending. That has a lot to do with it.

But on a three-time Stanley Cup winning team with the personnel the Hawks have retained, I don't think it's safe to draw a conclusion on +/- as being premised largely on the calibre of goaltending all things considered.

As has been echoed, I think a number of stats are confirming what a solid player Artemi Panarin in, in his right.

It's just interesting that leaving Chicago (of all teams) and Kane actually proved the point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad