How did Panarin for Saad work out?

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
Wrong? OK. Because Columbus historically has been a place that has attracted many top end free agents in the past, right? That cap space ain't worth crap if you can't fill it with quality players at fair market value.
Well, you get a guy like Panarin in - and turns out, he loves it there. Watch other Russians (KHL) start considering it as a possibility. It'd be nice to have a complementary guy like Dadonov, right? Columbus is not New York, but people like to play for good teams. It doesn't take that much to change perception. Nashville was a team people laughed at not that long ago.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I love Brandon Saad. I think he's a very good player. But Panarin is an elite talent. This trade is a landslide for Columbus right now, but obviously its only year 1 and things could change. What if Saad lights it up next year, so does Panarin, Forsberg bounces back, and both teams qualify and make runs? You'd have to assume it would be a good deal for both.

Thanks. This is what I was trying to say but seems like I didn't post it very well.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
If you're talking about re-signing players once they reach free agency, Columbus has never had a problem with that.

They have also overpaid at a premium to keep such players (ie: Dubinsky, Foligno, Atkinson). Nobody's taking a hometown discount to stay in Columbus. We will see how the Panarin and Bobrovsky deals shake out and how much they have to overspend to keep them here.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
They have also overpaid at a premium to keep such players (ie: Dubinsky, Foligno, Atkinson). Nobody's taking a hometown discount to stay in Columbus. We will see how the Panarin and Bobrovsky deals shake out and how much they have to overspend to keep them here.
Nobody takes a hometown discount to stay anywhere anymore. Saad got moved because he wasn't going to take a hometown discount to stay in Chicago where he'd recently won 2 Cups. Stamkos made bank in Tampa Bay and used free agency offers to up his price. Tavares is about to wring every penny he can get out of the Islanders. Panarin is anticipated to make a lot too and that's a reason he was moved by Chicago.

As for their contracts, Dubinsky, Foligno, and Atkinson were fairly paid at the time their contracts were signed. Yeah, they're expensive compared to current production, but that's what you get for signing UFA's.

I think you're confusing overspending with actually paying UFA prices. I fully expect Panarin and Bobrovsky to each command more than $8 million per year for a good number of years. Maybe even $10 million plus if we consider KHL throwing massive offers and promises of Olympic play at them. They have the numbers and hardware.

I also don't think the Jackets have much of a choice but to pay them both. And then we will say "Oh the Jackets spent too much on a goaltender!" And it'll be true. But let's be honest, they can't let 2x All-Star, 2x Vezina, Hart trophy finalist Bobrovsky walk. He's one of the key faces of the franchise.

The Jackets are built around Bobrovsky, Panarin, Jones, Werenski, and PLD. That's the team they're either going to win or lose with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toe Pick

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Bob won't be getting much of a raise, if any. I'm sure Jarmo/Davidson will bring up his playoffs performances in negotiations. Panarin I could see getting maybe 2-3 million more.

So 3 to 5 million more in cap space for them.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Bob won't be getting much of a raise, if any. I'm sure Jarmo/Davidson will bring up his playoffs performances in negotiations. Panarin I could see getting maybe 2-3 million more.

So 3 to 5 million more in cap space for them.

Bob's contract will most likely surpass Carey Price's in AAV.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
If Bob wants over 10m, I would seriously consider moving on. Making the playoffs is great but, I want to win the cup.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
If Bob wants over 10m, I would seriously consider moving on. Making the playoffs is great but, I want to win the cup.
You're making too much over a small sample of 18 games. That's 4% of the overall number of NHL games he has started. Each of which was on the lower seeded team facing a better team. You need a significantly larger number of games to draw a conclusion about his postseason ability.

There's also the star factor you have to consider. Letting a guy who is the top or near the top of his position in the world walk just looks bad. The CBJ want to show fans that they are committed to keeping top end talent no matter the cost.

Last edited:

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
To say the Jackets "lose" this trade if we only get 2 years of Panarin is crazy-talk. Worst case they deal him at the deadline next year for a windfall *if* for some reason he doesn't resign. That is still better than keeping Saad who was good but not great for us.

That said -- the Jackets will throw the bank at Panarin and I'm confident he will resign to continue to be "the man" here. They will also resign Bobrovsky. Plenty of cap space for both.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
As has been shown over and over again, the Hawks don't succeed through Kane. They succeed through their 1st line. Toews plays well, the Hawks win. He doesn't, they don't. Kane plays well or doesn't, makes no difference to the outcome. I hope you guys haven't forgot about the disappearing acting and benching that happened to Kane against Tampa

Everyone forgot because its bullshit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad