How did Panarin for Saad work out?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Was going to like this before that last sentence lol. I just keep wondering what kind of season Panarin (along with Wennberg & Atkinson) would have had, if the trade went down a year early. 192g in 71 games so far this season, compared to 247 in 82 games last year.

^^ well it's true, they were struggling big time middle of the season.

Also can't be underestimated how much positive impact he's had on Dubois. Kid like that gets to play on the top line with a guy like Panarin, best thing that could've happened to him.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
True, and they all get to fight for a playoffs spot on a easy schedule. Win or lose, it's great for their development. Hopefully Panarin see's whats going on and re-signs.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Ive said it before...and Ill say it again....Stan Bowman is a top 3 worst GM in the league...but hes work is covered up because of the cups the team he inherited won. This guys has lost far more trades then hes won...awful contracts...

Id take him over Chia though lol ...whos a top 1 worst GM

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I don't miss Panarin but Saad kind of sucks.

I started to tire of Panarin's dangling ways last season anyway, so I didn't mind him going. But I expected more from Saad. I wanted the 2013 take-no-prisoners kid who had a special kind of drive and energy. Not this highly paid man who thinks he is a "star" and gets paid like one.

Honestly, how can you not miss him? It doesn't make any sense to me. The Hawks were clearly better with Panarin. Dude is scoring 70+ this year. The only other player on the Hawks doing that was his old linemate.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Honestly, how can you not miss him? It doesn't make any sense to me. The Hawks were clearly better with Panarin. Dude is scoring 70+ this year. The only other player on the Hawks doing that was his old linemate.
He is a perimeter player that I don't think helps you win a Stanley Cup. They tried twice with him, and failed both times. In the first round.

That line with him and Kane was useless against the Predators. I think Saad could have helped.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Ive said it before...and Ill say it again....Stan Bowman is a top 3 worst GM in the league...but hes work is covered up because of the cups the team he inherited won. This guys has lost far more trades then hes won...awful contracts...

Id take him over Chia though lol ...whos a top 1 worst GM
Sure stans made his bad moves every GM has. What about the Panik trade? We got panik for nothing(jeremy morin) and panik turned into a 20 goal scorer with us last season. How about the shaw trade? We got alex f***ing debrincat (+another 2nd rounder) for andrew shaw. Every GM has their bad moves and their good moves. Your opinion on any given GM depends on which side of the table you want to look at. And im usually a pretty big critic of stans. But to say hes bottom 3 is asinine

Reactions: THall4

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Panarin was traded because of cap issues I believe, not because he's fragile. And now that the cap is going up, I'm sure the hawks would love to have him back. At the time I thought it was a good trade for both teams; Jackets need a scorer, and Hawks wanted a player that would be tougher to play against plus a teammate for Toews. But due to things outside the control of the Hawks...its become a bad trade for them.

As CBJ fan, very happy with Panarin.

Saad makes 6 mil for the next 4 years.
Panarin makes 6 mil for the next 2 years.

If it was cap reasons then chicago management is Pejorative Slured.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Saad makes 6 mil for the next 4 years.
Panarin makes 6 mil for the next 2 years.

If it was cap reasons then chicago management is ******ed.

It's not a good trade, but they did it since Panarin is a UFA next summer, and CBJ will likely extend him for 8+ million then.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
^^ well it's true, they were struggling big time middle of the season.

Also can't be underestimated how much positive impact he's had on Dubois. Kid like that gets to play on the top line with a guy like Panarin, best thing that could've happened to him.

In fairness PLD was a 3rd overall pick who was drafted to do exactly what he's doing, it's not like he came out of nowhere. It's just interesting how long it took for Torts to put two and two together and try playing their best young center prospect with their new best forward. Had they played together all season Panarin would already be past 70pts IMO. I can see good things happening for both guys next year!

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
Panarin vs Saad is irrelevant when toews is having the year he’s had.

Actually it can be argued at least they get a high pick, assuming they have their own 1st

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
As others have said, Panarin looks like the best forward to CBJ history. The things that I've heard about his play in Chicago - soft, shies away from contact, bad at defense - just have not been the case in Columbus. He has been one of the hardest workers defensively and is consistently praised by Torts for his effort and defense and intensity. He's just not huge, but he is constantly winning battles against bigger players all over the ice.

I think a lot of the reason for the trade was the length of the contracts. Jarmo will most likely do everything in his power to keep him. But watch for him to get paid like a top 10 forward in the league.

Reactions: CBJSTH

Figgzfood

Nov 15, 2017
He is a perimeter player that I don't think helps you win a Stanley Cup. They tried twice with him, and failed both times. In the first round.

That line with him and Kane was useless against the Predators. I think Saad could have helped.
Glad we got a completely different guy. He shies away from nothing and is all over the ice.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Your entire team was useless against the Predators.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Your entire team was useless against the Predators.
Indeed.

But in the past Kane used to be a beast in the playoffs. He needed a different partner. I think to beat the Preds you need more energy and hustle than just nifty flippy-passy players that need the puck to be efficient. Well, Kane IS one. But one is about as many as you can take. The Hawks championship teams had guys with high workrate and only 1 Patrick Kane. Now they had 2, and it became a burden.

Nothing away from Panarin. He is a terrific talent. But to win a championship I think he needs to be the creative guy, and the guys surrounding him need to be workhorses. Talented workhorses. Just like with Kane in Chicago. Panarin didn't work out in Chicago because of that. Points in the regular season is one thing - who cares if you score against non-playoff teams. When it's time to win hockey games, your weakest link will lose you the series.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Was always a terrible trade for the Hawks...you just don't split up elite duos like that.

Toews has finally started to produce in garbage time again..
Because he is playing with Kane and not Saad.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Seems to work harder than Saad did in Columbus to me. He certainly digs more pucks out, and that's along with him carrying the puck up the ice most of the time he's on the ice.

I didn't really watch either one of them in Chicago unless the Pens were playing them. Just calling it from my perspective. Hope Saad brings more of what you guys need to get back on track.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad