OT: Health and Fitness Thread - The Second

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Slightly short of my weight loss goal for my first month of my new diet, but can't complain about dropping 19 lbs in 30 days.

On to month #2.

That's a ton of weight to drop in a month. Congrats. How did you do it?

I'm able to button 34 waist pants fairly comfortably now. I don't think I'd wear them out but its still a nice feeling. I'm happy with my 36 shorts.

I haven't really been working out for a while now. Just normal yard work in the heat of summer, which I like to count as exercise.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
That's a ton of weight to drop in a month. Congrats. How did you do it?

Just strictly sticking to calorie counting and not eating too early or too late. I keep a notepad of what I eat and when and essentially use that to shame myself to not have something or eat too late as I don't want to write it down.

No carbs. Guarantee it.

I did a keto diet five or so years ago that had tremendous initial success, but I very much wouldn't recommend it as I honestly think it negatively messes up your body and doesn't really teach portion control. Especially as someone that's failed to maintain major weight loss twice now, that'll be my biggest issue for the long run.

My basic philosophy is that if a diet has a name (keto or paleo for instance), it basically relies on gimmicks that ultimately won't be successful as they're not realistic to longterm maintence. Calorie-counting and portion control? Those are habits that can be learned and maintained.

Last edited:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Just strictly sticking to calorie counting and not eating too early or too late. I keep a notepad of what I eat and when and essentially use that to shame myself to not have something or eat too late as I don't want to write it down.

I did a keto diet five or so years ago that had tremendous initial success, but I very much wouldn't recommend it as I honestly think it negatively messes up your body and does really teach portion control. Especially as someone that's failed to maintain major weight loss twice now, that'll be my biggest issue for the long run.

What is your calorie limit per day?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I need to get on the bike more, beer belly starting to develop. First time in years I haven’t spent the summer training for a full Ironman, but I’m eating and drinking like I am. :laugh:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Just a bite to eat with black coffee in the morning, lean cuisines or soup and rice crisps for lunch and dinner, and some veggies and/or fruit at various times. Oftentimes closer to 1000 calories versus 1500 doing that.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I eat 3 eggs and have a protein shake for breakfast and I'm already at 500 calories and thats nothing. It would be really tough to get enough protein for the day to maintain muscle mass and eat 1000-1500 calories as a matter of course. My friend who competed in fitness competitions would only pare down to like 800 calories a day the week before a competition. For her to do that every day and work out wouldn't have worked.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I eat 3 eggs and have a protein shake for breakfast and I'm already at 500 calories and thats nothing. It would be really tough to get enough protein for the day to maintain muscle mass and eat 1000-1500 calories as a matter of course. My friend who competed in fitness competitions would only pare down to like 800 calories a day the week before a competition. For her to do that every day and work out wouldn't have worked.

You probably don’t need nearly as much protein as you think you do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad