OT: Health and Fitness Thread - The Second

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
Being a vegetarian has made me a whole lot more conscious about my protein intake. I usually like to start the day with 3-4 eggs and some plant-based protein, have a protein bar around 5:00, then go protein-heavy for dinner after my 8 PM workout. I definitely need to start eating a more consistent lunch, salad with some hemp hearts probably.

I can definitely vouch for a plant-based diet. I've been vegetarian for well over a year now, and I'm trying to cut back on my dairy intake (basically only cooking and whey protein now) and both have been a huge help. Might go back to eating the occasional chicken breast, but I certainly have more energy, my blood pressure is down, and I'm more health-conscious in other areas of my life in general.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
If you are a serious weightlifter, you should try to get 75 + grams of protein a day. Body builders should be eating around 170+ grams of protein a day.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I find it weird when vegetarians say they eat eggs.

I'm not asking for an explanation, I get their reasoning, still doesn't seem right to me though.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Glad someone else agrees with me, I always feel like everyone disagrees with me on that subject.

I can even get dairy consumption, no issues there, but eggs I've got a problem with if you're going to tell me you're a vegetarian.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I've been vegetarian for about a year and a half now.

I'll definitely say it makes you really think about your daily protein intake, it can be pretty tough to get as much protein as you need (assuming you are lifting/playing sports and such). There have been times where I've dealt with nagging muscle soreness and I have seemed to pick up more knocks when playing sports, but that could also be me aging out of the prime athletic years.

Either way, it's not all sunshine and rainbows being vegetarian, you really really need to make sure you get enough protein.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Last December due to a weird health scare I had to cut out everything animal wise except fish. I haven't found making sure I have enough protein to be all that difficult, to be honest. Breakfast was the only one that took a bit to adjust to because I don't like oatmeal, pancakes, and those types of breakfast items. I usually just had some eggs, whether it be like a fritatta or even just some hard boiled eggs.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
As Lewis Back overstated so eloquently: "Everybody's health is different. What's good for you might kill the person sitting next to you."

Atkins works for me. Keto is lifelong low carb. Atkins encourages the re-addition of healthy carbs. I've added back in higher carb vegetables like peas and carrots with no ill effects. But things like fast food, bread, potatoes (French fries) and sugar laden sweets are out for good, and I no longer miss them.

I honestly believe what has helped me the most psychologically is not weighing myself. I go strictly by waist size, and how I look and feel. I look like a different person. Somebody took a picture of me a few days ago and I look like a normal healthy guy now. Not the amorphous blob I was on January 2nd.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
As Lewis Back overstated so eloquently: "Everybody's health is different. What's good for you might kill the person sitting next to you."

Atkins works for me. Keto is lifelong low carb. Atkins encourages the re-addition of healthy carbs. I've added back in higher carb vegetables like peas and carrots with no ill effects. But things like fast food, bread, potatoes (French fries) and sugar laden sweets are out for good, and I no longer miss them.

I honestly believe what has helped me the most psychologically is not weighing myself. I go strictly by waist size, and how I look and feel. I look like a different person. Somebody took a picture of me a few days ago and I look like a normal healthy guy now. Not the amorphous blob I was on January 2nd.

That's exactly how I view it. I'm a carb eating machine due to my hobbies and stuff, and am usually on the lower end when it comes to protein intake, and I never have any recovery issues and am rarely injured. If I am it's because of a mountain bike crash or something, not because I'm not recovering.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
I find it weird when vegetarians say they eat eggs.

I'm not asking for an explanation, I get their reasoning, still doesn't seem right to me though.
My main issue with eating eggs is the abhorrent factory farming industry. Their practices are downright shocking. Hence why I always ensure my eggs are as cruelty-free as possible, which is sometimes difficult on a student budget.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
My main issue with eating eggs is the abhorrent factory farming industry. Their practices are downright shocking. Hence why I always ensure my eggs are as cruelty-free as possible, which is sometimes difficult on a student budget.

Yeah it’s pretty disgusting what they do in the mass produced “farms.”

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I mentioned this in the off-topic thread about how everything is filthy, but I just assume that every aspect of food prep is filthy and inhumane as well and just shrug and go with the flow.

I mean, I'm against animal cruelty, but I'm not going to stop eating beef, pork, or chicken.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Glad someone else agrees with me, I always feel like everyone disagrees with me on that subject.

I can even get dairy consumption, no issues there, but eggs I've got a problem with if you're going to tell me you're a vegetarian.

Is an egg a living animal?

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

Non mass produced eggs only cost what, $3.50 a dozen?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Thats like saying I'm against animal cruelty but I'm not going to stop betting on dog fights

Not really? That'd be like equating wearing Nikes made by kid laborers to having a personal corps of child soldiers.

Essentially accepting an inevitability (or an industry standard) is basically just accepting reality. Not good, not bad either. I mean, how many of us have electronics from Chinese factories that we know have brutal labor conditions and that's not enough to put down an iPhone or a Switch?

If you don't eat meat or don't buy labor-unfriendly gadgets or clothing for that reason, awesome. Honestly good on you. But it's hardly a sign that a consumer is awful if they still buy those products when they're essentially the norm.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Thats like saying I'm against animal cruelty but I'm not going to stop betting on dog fights

tenor.gif

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
Not really? That'd be like equating wearing Nikes made by kid laborers to having a personal corps of child soldiers.

Essentially accepting an inevitability (or an industry standard) is basically just accepting reality. Not good, not bad either. I mean, how many of us have electronics from Chinese factories that we know have brutal labor conditions and that's not enough to put down an iPhone or a Switch?

If you don't eat meat or don't buy labor-unfriendly gadgets or clothing for that reason, awesome. Honestly good on you. But it's hardly a sign that a consumer is awful if they still buy those products when they're essentially the norm.
I hate the philosophy that the fault lies with the consumer. It's my inner constructivist showing, but mass media and big corporations do a lot more to shape our lifestyles than personal choice. Obviously, individual decisions to consume more ethically are great, but most people don't have the means to do so.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I've been eating protein waffles with a little bit of syrup for breakfast. Sometimes I protein shake in between breakfast and lunch if I'm starving. Some shredded chicken with a little Mozz for lunch (sometimes a chicken "wrap" with spinach, some cheese, original yogurt instead of sour cream). And then a chicken wrap for dinner. Various fruits and veggies thrown around in between.

Those are my "good" days. But I'm not a slave to my eating. I'll cheat here and there. I work out Monday-Thursday.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I'm officially back into 34 waist pants. I could wear them out now. A bit snug but doable.

Now I have to decide how far I want to take this. I'm no kid anymore; I don't need to be skinny. At a certain point people will probably start thinking I'm sick or something if I get too thin.

I still feel great. Low carb eating changes your hunger patterns drastically over time (6 months in my case). I no longer have these violent cravings for carb laden foods. I get hungry at times but its very manageable. I just ignore it until I get somewhere I can eat something healthy.

Other benefits:

I sleep easily through the night, every night. No more traces of insomnia.

To quote a sitcom character - my bowel movements run like a German train schedule.

I no longer have extreme spells of sleepiness in the afternoon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad