OT: Health and Fitness Thread - The Second

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Ouch. How did this happen?

I was lifting super light weights and my should just seemed to go a way it didn't want to go. Thought maybe I just strained a muscle but its not getting any better and actually started feeling worse. Going to see the doctor today.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I was lifting super light weights and my should just seemed to go a way it didn't want to go. Thought maybe I just strained a muscle but its not getting any better and actually started feeling worse. Going to see the doctor today.

Yikes. Better than when I fell off a dirt bike and slammed my shoulder into the ground. Don't think my shoulder will ever be the same again.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Coming to the realization I have either tendonitis or arthritis in my knees.

Should rename this the Injury Thread.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Sending me to PT. Thinks there might be a small tear but something that will heal on its own and not require surgery

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
And... it's not a waste of time. It's a waste of time to do it at the very end of practice for 5 minutes, and then end the practice.

You can do the same conditioning drills, but mix them in sporadically into practices. There's nothing wrong with that.

It was and is a waste of time and very expensive ice. By then players are using poor mechanics just to finish the drill.

Conditioning on ice is done by having fast moving competitive drills. The better conditioning is done off ice.

45 second shifts are literally played in 10-15 second bursts.Most coaches do not condition players effectively for what they actually need in game conditions

Some of the stupid things I've seen is gathering all the players at center ice to stretch. After warming up the muscles, now we lay on the ice to cool off and stretch. Dumb and more waste of valuable ice. Pre practice warmup and stretching can be done off ice.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It was and is a waste of time and very expensive ice. By then players are using poor mechanics just to finish the drill.

Conditioning on ice is done by having fast moving competitive drills. The better conditioning is done off ice.

45 second shifts are literally played in 10-15 second bursts.Most coaches do not condition players effectively for what they actually need in game conditions

Some of the stupid things I've seen is gathering all the players at center ice to stretch. After warming up the muscles, now we lay on the ice to cool off and stretch. Dumb and more waste of valuable ice. Pre practice warmup and stretching can be done off ice.

I did say it's a waste of time the last 5 minutes of practice. I think mixed into the middle of the practice, it's not an issue.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Anyone got any diet recommendations? My wedding is at the end of August, and my fiancé and I are probably going to start ramping up our diet here soon.

Let me get this out of the way... No Keto diet recommendations, please. I do not believe in that. I believe it works for some people, but I just don't like the idea of it for me given how active I am.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Anyone got any diet recommendations? My wedding is at the end of August, and my fiancé and I are probably going to start ramping up our diet here soon.

Let me get this out of the way... No Keto diet recommendations, please. I do not believe in that. I believe it works for some people, but I just don't like the idea of it for me given how active I am.

Have you tried intermittent fasting? Just basically hit your macros daily stick to your eating windows and a ton of people swear by it, especially if you are an early morning workout person where fasted cardio and training is most effective

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015

Get MyFitnessPal app, track all your cals for maybe a week, get average amount of calories you normally do, and adjust from there.

I assume if you ate between 1800-2000 calories with moderate exercise, you would be happy with your results.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

They are pretty much a waste of time. We do something kind of similar to the old school 60 second drill, but it is all quick stops and starts between the goal line and the center line. Way more effective to condition for game situations, and the stops/starts are actually useful for game situations. Suicides are a complete waste of time because you can accomplish the exact same conditioning doing shuttle runs....OFF the ice.

Most practices, I just try and keep the kids moving the entire practice, and moving at full speed, with a lot of edge work involved. After warming up, most of that time is with pucks, as well.

Suicides and no-puck drills are antiquated garbage. I really didn't learn to be a very good puck handler until 13-14, because my coaches up until that point were idiots that gave us pucks like 20% of the time... Even then, I have improved my stick handling more in my late 20s and 30s than I ever did in youth hockey, because I spent an hour a week at rat hockey by myself for several months straight just stick handling and shooting.

I am grateful that coaching has moved away from the old school crap I grew up with, because it just wasn't very effective. The coaches could teach you the mental part of the game, and systems/responsibility, but they did a piss poor job of actual skill development.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
I have been pretty high up in the training field for a while now and have a performance enhancement specialization if anyone ever has questions they want to bounce off me in regards to nutrition and/or exercise.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I have been pretty high up in the training field for a while now and have a performance enhancement specialization if anyone ever has questions they want to bounce off me in regards to nutrition and/or exercise.
Any suggestions for how to improve general agility/quickness (I play football and basketball, and am potentially going to be player soccer soon as well)?

I recently purchase and agility ladder and have been doing weighted prowler pushes which seem to be helping. My general weight program is DeFranco's so a mixture of strength and hypertrophy.

EDIT - and maybe it is outside your expertise, but any suggestions for how to reduce patellar tendinitis pain?

Last edited:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
They are pretty much a waste of time. We do something kind of similar to the old school 60 second drill, but it is all quick stops and starts between the goal line and the center line. Way more effective to condition for game situations, and the stops/starts are actually useful for game situations. Suicides are a complete waste of time because you can accomplish the exact same conditioning doing shuttle runs....OFF the ice.

Most practices, I just try and keep the kids moving the entire practice, and moving at full speed, with a lot of edge work involved. After warming up, most of that time is with pucks, as well.

Suicides and no-puck drills are antiquated garbage. I really didn't learn to be a very good puck handler until 13-14, because my coaches up until that point were idiots that gave us pucks like 20% of the time... Even then, I have improved my stick handling more in my late 20s and 30s than I ever did in youth hockey, because I spent an hour a week at rat hockey by myself for several months straight just stick handling and shooting.

I am grateful that coaching has moved away from the old school crap I grew up with, because it just wasn't very effective. The coaches could teach you the mental part of the game, and systems/responsibility, but they did a piss poor job of actual skill development.

It's interesting you mention this, because I am experiencing some of the same things now. As mentioned before, I've been back on the ice since mid-March for the first time in a better part of a decade. Much of this is because I'm going to be instructing and training to do so, so in doing this, I am working some things a lot and differently than I had before. Even with my hands still being maybe 50% of normal (puck still feels a little "heavy", timing is still a bit off, etc) I can already notice a difference in my shot just from working on it and training on it based on the curriculum and drills I'm learning. All the years I played and even now with 50% capacity I can already notice a difference in my shot. Makes me excited about how much better I can be at things even now in my 30's just from a different practice, training, and mental aspect of things.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It's interesting you mention this, because I am experiencing some of the same things now. As mentioned before, I've been back on the ice since mid-March for the first time in a better part of a decade. Much of this is because I'm going to be instructing and training to do so, so in doing this, I am working some things a lot and differently than I had before. Even with my hands still being maybe 50% of normal (puck still feels a little "heavy", timing is still a bit off, etc) I can already notice a difference in my shot just from working on it and training on it based on the curriculum and drills I'm learning. All the years I played and even now with 50% capacity I can already notice a difference in my shot. Makes me excited about how much better I can be at things even now in my 30's just from a different practice, training, and mental aspect of things.

The new technology in equipment also helps. :thumbu:

Sticks that are light as a feather, and are specifically engineered to increase shot velocity based upon flex, angles, aerodynamics, physics, etc. Skates that weigh 1/10th of what they did when we played regularly. All these things are huge factors, as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Liner

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

Sticks that are light as a feather, and are specifically engineered to increase shot velocity based upon flex, angles, aerodynamics, physics, etc. Skates that weight 1/10th of what they did when we played regularly. All these things are huge factors, as well.

I'm not even using a good stick yet, either. Just bought a cheap $60 Bauer just to have something to get back on the ice.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Sticks that are light as a feather, and are specifically engineered to increase shot velocity based upon flex, angles, aerodynamics, physics, etc. Skates that weight 1/10th of what they did when we played regularly. All these things are huge factors, as well.

Not fun for the goalies.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Castle8130

May 9, 2017

What type of dieting? Weight loss, muscle gain, etc?

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
So I got a FitBit Flex. I’m really wondering how accurate the calorie burning tracking is. Seems awfully generous so far. Cool device, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad