OT: Health and Fitness Thread - The Second

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
On pace to flubbing my diet this month. Lost 19 lbs in month 1, will probably end up having gained a pound or two in month 2.

So it goes. Will still be at over 15 lbs lost, just gotta stay better focused on the diet for month 3.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
On pace to flubbing my diet this month. Lost 19 lbs in month 1, will probably end up having gained a pound or two in month 2.

So it goes. Will still be at over 15 lbs lost, just gotta stay better focused on the diet for month 3.

Don't give up. The first couple of months are the hardest. After that the process gains momentum.

I still remember trying on 36 waist pants in Feb and March. Total failure. It made me want to throw in the towel.

But I didn't.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
If there is one thing I've learned about this topic, unless you actually, truthfully like the food you eat and the exercise you get, it will never last, and ultimately is not worth the effort.

You need to be honest with yourself -- do I actually like this meal or snack? do I actually enjoy lifting weights or running? You can fake it for a little while, but not for long.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
If there is one thing I've learned about this topic, unless you actually, truthfully like the food you eat and the exercise you get, it will never last, and ultimately is not worth the effort.

You need to be honest with yourself -- do I actually like this meal or snack? do I actually enjoy lifting weights or running? You can fake it for a little while, but not for long.

I agree completely. Which is why to keep weight off, focusing on portion control of meals you like will be more effective in the long run than completely depriving oneself.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
For me personally, I started putting two scoops of this vegan protein powder I started using in my coffee every morning. I only eat a light lunch after that and I’m not hungry till dinner time. I weight lift 3 days a week with abs and cardio as well. I’m currently at 30 lbs lost and my size 36 pants that didn’t fit before are loose on me now.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017

That's the thing, though: freeing yourself from a carb addiction changes the dynamics of appetite. My appetite is completely different now than it was 6 months ago.

I eat plenty of carbs now. Portion control doesn't mean anything long-term if you're eating smaller portions of processed crap. Carb addiction will lead you back down the unhealthy road soon enough.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
That's the thing, though: freeing yourself from a carb addiction changes the dynamics of appetite. My appetite is completely different now than it was 6 months ago.

I eat plenty of carbs now. Portion control doesn't mean anything long-term if you're eating smaller portions of processed crap. Carb addiction will lead you back down the unhealthy road soon enough.

Carb addiction? What?

There are healthy carbs, you know.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
For me personally, I started putting two scoops of this vegan protein powder I started using in my coffee every morning. I only eat a light lunch after that and I’m not hungry till dinner time. I weight lift 3 days a week with abs and cardio as well. I’m currently at 30 lbs lost and my size 36 pants that didn’t fit before are loose on me now.
Good for you man.

Reactions: TPOEJ6489

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
Good for you man.

Thanks man. Also, I definitely started noticing bigger gains when I switched up my workouts and started doing some dumbbell weight lifting as well. I switch between dumbbells and machines every 6 weeks or so.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Time to fire this thing back up. Been eating mostly healthy for a couple months and didn’t drink last month. Lost 20 pounds I had gained back over the summer. Hope everyone is doing well or planning on starting their fitness journey!

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I just re-upped with old triathlon coach for November. First year in a while I didn’t do any super long endurance stuff, just mountain biking and IPAs.

Time to get back into shape and shed this little beer belly and get ready for some racing next year.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Time to fire this thing back up. Been eating mostly healthy for a couple months and didn’t drink last month. Lost 20 pounds I had gained back over the summer. Hope everyone is doing well or planning on starting their fitness journey!

Damn, you dropped 20 just off of cutting out alcohol and shitty food?

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I just re-upped with old triathlon coach for November. First year in a while I didn’t do any super long endurance stuff, just mountain biking and IPAs.

Time to get back into shape and shed this little beer belly.

I need to do the same.

Anybody have any decent workout/diet plans they would be willing to share?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Damn, you dropped 20 just off of cutting out alcohol and ****ty food?

Yep! Haven’t worked out once! I want to start again because it feels good, but I haven’t needed it to burn off the fat. Though I should note I am tall and very big boned. The drop was from 285 to 265. Even working out an hour a day, eating healthy and with limited drinking for over a year, I could not get lower than around 250.

Cutting out alcohol has been huge though. Beer especially packs on the pounds for me. I’m going to try to keep going without it.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Yep! Haven’t worked out once! I want to start again because it feels good, but I haven’t needed it to burn off the fat. Though I should note I am tall and very big boned. The drop was from 285 to 265. Even working out an hour a day, eating healthy and with limited drinking for over a year, I could not get lower than around 250.

Cutting out alcohol has been huge though. Beer especially packs on the pounds for me. I’m going to try to keep going without it.

I feel like I need to drop 10-15 and haven’t been working out much and have a much less physically active job now (although I walk a half hour each way to and from work).

What types of food did you cut out, and did you fully cut beer?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I feel like I need to drop 10-15 and haven’t been working out much and have a much less physically active job now (although I walk a half hour each way to and from work).

What types of food did you cut out, and did you fully cut beer?

To be honest, I was drinking beer on the reg, eating burritos, burgers, you name it when I put on the weight.

Yeah, I’ve only had 2 beers in the last month. Cutting it out for a while will definitely jump start your diet. I would say even moreso aesthetically than on the scale if you’ve been drinking it regularly. Personally, beer makes my stomach bloated. With my size, I can drink a lot of them and then I get mad munchies from drinking which makes things worse.

Diet wise, eating mostly chicken, fish and turkey. Also veggies and salads. Salads and veggies are great to fill up on. I’ll eat a whole bag of steamed veggies if I am really hungry. I like making grilled chicken sandwiches with wheat bread or fiber bread, put a little hot sauce or salad dressing on them. Also wraps are good to make too, taste great and an easy way to eat salad stuff or whatever else you want to use to make them. Trail mix is a snack I’ve had around lately. That’s been about it really. I’ve been disciplined, but at the same time, if I feel like getting some chips to go with my sandwiches or wraps, I just get them. After 2 weeks of portion control and healthy eating, it gets really easy.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Right, so I'm asking if anyone has one that has worked well for them.

There's a difference between just showing up at the gym and maximizing your efficiency while at the gym.

Every body is different. Generally, you can use someone else's plan as a minor guideline, and then you have to customize it all to fit you, because no two bodies react the same way. There are just too many differing factors.

My brother can eat a 10lb plate of food at 3am after drinking a 12 pack of IPAs, and not gain a pound. If I ate/drank that way, I'd gain 10lbs a week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad