Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I honestly dont understand what is happening, this team was a f-ing mess going into the 5th game, playing wildly unstructured hockey... now they are blocking shots, taking away passing lanes, pressuring the puck ... a completely different team.... I got no clue what to expect from this team. I've never in the 45+ years that I've played/coached seen a team that has such wide swings of identity from pure dogshit to world beaters.

giphy.gif

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I honestly dont understand what is happening, this team was a f-ing mess going into the 5th game, playing wildly unstructured hockey... now they are blocking shots, taking away passing lanes, pressuring the puck ... a completely different team.... I got no clue what to expect from this team. I've never in the 45+ years that I've played/coached seen a team that has such wide swings of identity from pure dogshit to world beaters.

giphy.gif
Think that's even more impressive, and credit goes to Keefe for this - they've dragged themselves back into the series, by largely executing on the same things they wanted to execute on from the start.

They haven't made massive adjustments, or abandoned what they were originally trying to do.

They've just stuck with it, trusted in their process, and are now seeing two very positive results.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019

giphy.gif
I truly believe having cool, calm, and collected Woll back there instead of "scrambling around" Samsonov has made a huge difference to the players' confidence level!

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

giphy.gif

This is the fruit of a relatively inexperienced NHL coach in Keefe...he is still experimenting on what works and what doesn't work for the team, which is bad. Hopefully, Leafs pull through in game 7.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

giphy.gif
The turnaround seems to have started after three incidents:
- Willy giving Mitch sh1t late in period 2 of game 4.
- Woll coming in to start period 3 of game 4.
- Matty not coming out to start period 3 of game 4.

Since then Leafs have outscored Bruins 5-2 and outplayed them fairly convincingly.

You can attribute as much or as little impact to each as you see fit, but I think we have there the turning point(s) of the series.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I truly believe having cool, calm, and collected Woll back there instead of "scrambling around" Samsonov has made a huge difference to the players' confidence level!
I think Tre/Shanny come to Jesus mtg with Keefer helped out too .. bottom line any pro player can play on da defensive side of da puck .. our Leafs just weren't doing it .. and we won game 2 only because of Matty and Sammy being supreme which is not repeatable .. once Matty was out that plan was dead .. so a switch in tactics was required .. what these 2 guys don't really know yet is Woll has capability to throw up a 60+ shot SO .. I hope we don't require it but da capability is there for it

Reactions: TorMapleJays

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
We just played two of the best playoff games ever with this core. Hard to believe this is the same bunch of turkeys who couldn't be bothered to show up for game 4. I really, really hope they show up to play tomorrow night, as a long suffering Leaf fan I'm pretty damn sure I deserve their best effort more often than we've been getting it.

There's a game tomorrow night boys, be ready to play. GLG!!
We never give up hope

what's funny is that matthews has been out last 2 and marner has been dog shyt all series Lolol
playoffs just goes to show its all about the team coming together
Ask Pasta how dog sh... Marner has been.

Reactions: arso40

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005

giphy.gif
The Leafs have been playing the Bruins mostly the same way Florida did last year. Repeatedly hammering a team into the boards every chance you get does have an effect in a long series, and I think the Bruins are starting to run out of gas. Game 4 was bad after the major upset that was Game 3, and I think if Keefe had gone to Woll earlier the Leafs probably don't have to force 7...

Both have been garbage
Difference is the Leafs have enough firepower to overcome one of their big scorers not scoring. Boston is shit offensively if Pasta's not doing anything.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
The Leafs have been playing the Bruins mostly the same way Florida did last year. Repeatedly hammering a team into the boards every chance you get does have an effect in a long series, and I think the Bruins are starting to run out of gas. Game 4 was bad after the major upset that was Game 3, and I think if Keefe had gone to Woll earlier the Leafs probably don't have to force 7...

Difference is the Leafs have enough firepower to overcome one of their big scorers not scoring. Boston is shit offensively if Pasta's not doing anything.
Agreed. Last 2 games prove that.

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
The turnaround seems to have started after three incidents:
- Willy giving Mitch sh1t late in period 2 of game 4.
- Woll coming in to start period 3 of game 4.
- Matty not coming out to start period 3 of game 4.

Since then Leafs have outscored Bruins 5-2 and outplayed them fairly convincingly.

You can attribute as much or as little impact to each as you see fit, but I think we have there the turning point(s) of the series.
Also Joe Bowen calling out the lackluster crowd!

Reactions: BayStBullies

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
So the secret to winning playoff games against a tough opponent is to NOT play an emotionally fragile goalie.

Who knew? :dunno:

Noone. It's a revolutionary experiment. I think that Keefe might be the first NHL coach to implement this counterintuitive strategy !!!

I read on the interwebs that playing a goalie who won't sh*thimself greatly improves your winning chances. I'm starting to think there might be something to it. And slowly, so is Keefe !

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Game was over once they let one of their scrubs post up nba style 1 on 1 with Nylander at the line. Dude not only opened up their tight checking but he moved the Boston dmen around that lead to them becoming the necessary tip.
I thought that was Will, I initially thought mine eyes had deceived me in the dimmest of this light which our heroes in blue toil to endure.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Now for a little bright light

The Domi Bertuzzi Matthews line was gangbusters, the numbers were stunning on both sides of the puck

Then Keefe was forced to put that big loser Marner with them. For sure it was going to drag them down to barely 4th line effectiveness. But something funny happened, the numbers should've fallen off the cliff, but even with Mitch and the added PK duty he has to shoulder the numbers didn't change all that much. Hmmm maybe Mitch ain't the hemlock he's portrayed as.

Willy finally looks like a beast and is playing like a beast.

Matthew Knies may end up being the best of the bunch, that little chip that sprung Willie was everybit as nice as the chip Willie made to him to get that ball rolling

7 is gonna be sweet.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

3 at one time and now just two

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
... a completely different team....

Don't be fooled, it won't last.

Remember when Reilly got injured late in the season and for a handful of games the Leafs were structured, disciplined and focused? Almost immediately after he returned they resorted to their old ways - right up to and including game 4 of this series.

They may keep it up Saturday (esp. if AM is out), they may even win but this team settled on an identity years ago and only in brief spurts can they turn into the team we've seen the past two games. But the first chance they can to regress, they'll take it. That'll be either game 1 against Florida or game 1 next October.

Reactions: Hellcat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad