News Article: Habs offered Gardiner a 3 year 15.75 million contract!

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
yeah remember when they were all lining up to come here ?

me neither.

I do remember when Gainey was able to attract quality UFAs with gas in the tank rather than being stuck signing a revolving door of guys on their way out of the NHL...

Weird how many posters choose to ignore the stark difference in quality of UFAs we were able to get when we had a GM with credibility...

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
I do remember when Gainey was able to attract quality UFAs with gas in the tank rather than being stuck signing a revolving door of guys on their way out of the NHL...

Weird how many posters choose to ignore the stark difference in quality of UFAs we were able to get when we had a GM with credibility...

care to provide any of those big names ?

Last edited:

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
The ultimate tire spinning franchise. Half tear it down and try and sign and fill gaps with players that don't fit either age group.

Mediocrity is great, when you're making money either way.

Reactions: lo striver

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
No, I don't care to repost it again... Google is your friend

anything you want to add to Hamrlik, gionta and cammy ? The last two were overpaid for the summer we let half our top 6 leave for nothing and traded for Gomez. Context is everything. (they also had the same agent, if I remember correctly)

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
anything you want to add to Hamrlik, gionta and cammy ? The last two were overpaid for the summer we let half our top 6 leave for nothing and traded for Gomez. Context is everything. (they also had the same agent, if I remember correctly)

Google, it's quite easy to look up.

& In case you haven't followed the NHL, even top destinations like the Rangers "overpay" for top UFAs... That's the name of the game.

Difference btw Gainey & MB (remember when we offered more than EDMONTON for Lucic, & still list out... Thank god lol) is that his overpay offers got accepted at times, and not just for guys like Alzner or Briere who from day 1 didn't have the ability to give
us even a season of play in the role we "overpaid" them for.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
The real story here is "Hab's unable to sign Gardiner despite a 3 year $15.75 M dollar offer"
This needs to be addressed.
I look at it as divine intervention, we've been spared another disaster. what's disturbing is bargain bin's obsession with these subpar defenceman.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007

& In case you haven't followed the NHL, even top destinations like the Rangers "overpay" for top UFAs... That's the name of the game.

Difference btw Gainey & MB (remember when we offered more than EDMONTON for Lucic, & still list out... Thank god lol) is that his overpay offers got accepted at times, and not just for guys like Alzner who never gave us even a season of play in the role we "overpaid" them for.

It's a big market, people like it, some don't. it has very little to do with how good the GM rubs their shoulders. Players know these dudes won't be there in a couple of years. but anyways ... all this because we missed out on Jacques Jardinier. What a tragedy.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I look at it as divine intervention, we've been spared another disaster. what's disturbing is bargain bin's obsession with these subpar defenceman.

As sad as it sound... Gardiner would be our best LHD right now.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

Difference btw Gainey & MB (remember when we offered more than EDMONTON for Lucic, & still list out... Thank god lol) is that his overpay offers got accepted at times, and not just for guys like Alzner or Briere who from day 1 didn't have the ability to give
us even a season of play in the role we "overpaid" them for.

Lucic to me was a special case. Just like Georges and the Leafs, I don't think Lucic would have played for the Habs, he hated us too much.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

Ya Gainey really killed it. That Gomez deal was a slam dunk. And giving Gionta a big raise in exchange for 30% less production. Cammy came off 80 points and went 50 then 40.

Remind me again which FA’s Gainey signed that came at value and did really well here? Did he ever sign a FA that put up more the 50 points lol? Cause I remember him paying top line prices for middle lineup production.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Ya Gainey really killed it. That Gomez deal was a slam dunk. And giving Gionta a big raise in exchange for 30% less production. Cammy came off 80 points and went 50 then 40.

Remind me again which FA’s Gainey signed that came at value and did really well here? Did he ever sign a FA that put up more the 50 points lol? Cause I remember him paying top line prices for middle lineup production.

Are you really downgrading Gainey's UFA signing while it was :

- Cammalleri who actually produced 39 goals in 84 games in his first season including the playoffs. The guy just couldn't stayed healthy and still played at a 58 PPG in his next season.
- Gionta who actually was named captain and had 37 goals in 80 games in his first season and followed with a 28 goals season + other good seasons as a role player.
- Hamrlik that actually came and gave credibility back to Montreal defensive squad and he was very solid as a number 2.
- Moen who was a good role player

Even Gainey meh signing like Spacek, Dandenault and Samsonov looks good compared to Bergevin list. He wasn't anything special and had to pay good money, but most UFA signing is like that. At least he managed to land some names.

When Bergevin best signing :
-Prust who was a good role player
-Bouillon...
-Radulov
-Briere...
-Alzner...
-Fleischmann...
-Chiarot we will see...

The only one that is good is Radulov and he lost the guy after one season...

Even Gauthier managed to sign Erik Cole, Bergevin has yet to sign one good UFA to a 3-4 years contract.

Last edited:

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

None of Gainey’s FA’s were anything special. Some were good but they were overpaid and had to be offered too much term. TBH none made a heck of a lot of difference.

There hasnt been a big UFA come here since the Stone Age. Not just this GM’s issue, it’s a combination of poor teams and the perceived market.

The Gainey era was nothing to write home about. Last good era was Serge Savards early 90’s. It’s been a struggle since then.

Savard should be part of the exec team. Don’t care about his age, he knows talent and has seen it all in MTL

Last edited:

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
You don’t know what the players think. Markov was unhappy but Shaw had good words. No one on these boards has a clue what the players think about him. It’s BS

Well it was quite public how he (and in some cases Therrien) had issues with many players. Markov, Subban, Patches, Galchenyuk, and Eller come to mind but there are others. He poisoned relationships and stunted the development of our young prospects.

And some of us DO know what the players think. Some of us know players and people in the organization. I have to refrain from claiming such because I am not allowed to make insider claims without vetting. So it's just my opinion.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
That's fine because building through free agency is a huge mistake. Sometimes it may be worth it to get a top tier player (Panarin) or a hidden gem (Radulov) but it rarely pays off. You build through the draft first. Second is through smart asset management. Then you can plug holes through FA if absolutely necessary.

Exactly what I was saying

Reactions: DangerDave

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

For better or worse, gainey was willing to pay the extra premium to get players to sign. He signed a 33 year old hamrlik to 5 years to a monster cap hit, especially when you consider what the salary cap was at the time. This money was partly freed up by losing souray for nothing that summer too.

I suspect if gainey wanted gardiner, he would have given him 5 years, and more term based on his history.

The other huge signings were mostly done in 2009, which you may remember was the overhaul off season, where the habs let go of kovalev, Higgins, Tanguay, Lang, and Komisarek etc...So he had tons of money to find necessary replacements, and paid premiums for gionta and cammalleri who both got 5-6 years.

However, premium or no premium, both GMs are similar in that neither of them have been able to lure the marquee free agents.

Reactions: LastWordArmy

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I'm fine that he made that offer, but I am also fine that Gardiner went elsewhere. I'm sure we weren't the only other team making him an offer. I don't blame him for choose the Canes he just spent a year getting pilled on by the Toronto media.

If you want to blame anything for why people don't sign here blame the rabid fans.... aka blame yourself (and myself too). Some guys want less pressure, can't really blame them.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Lucic to me was a special case. Just like Georges and the Leafs, I don't think Lucic would have played for the Habs, he hated us too much.

Gardiner & Duchene this summer.

Statsny & Tavares didn't even listen to offers from him (don't recall any UFA flat out refusing to hear from Gainey)

That's off top of my head of others beyond lucic

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm fine that he made that offer, but I am also fine that Gardiner went elsewhere. I'm sure we weren't the only other team making him an offer. I don't blame him for choose the Canes he just spent a year getting pilled on by the Toronto media.

If you want to blame anything for why people don't sign here blame the rabid fans.... aka blame yourself (and myself too). Some guys want less pressure, can't really blame them.
I'm not going to blame the fans. Lots of teams have rabid fans and have no issues getting top players.

The majority of the blame lies with mgmt and how this team has been run.

Reactions: Miller Time

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
We are countinng Travis Moen as one of Gainey's big free agent signings? Seriously? Laraque?

Dandenault? Thats one of your seven top names?

Samsonov? The summer where Gainey offered about 7 fwds free agent comtracts and they all.turned him down so he signed samsonov.

Yeah

I mean if thats the criteria then we might as well give Bergevin credit for Prust, Parros,
and Douglas Murray too.

We can add Semin as equivalent to Samsonov too.

Id rather not count any of them.

Reactions: Habby4Life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad