News Article: Habs offered Gardiner a 3 year 15.75 million contract!

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
The pressure/scrutiny certainly turns some players away...

But in marquee fan markets in any sport, you need gamers like Domi or PK who relish playing under that spotlight...

Not a bad thing that the wallflowers don't want to be here.

Weather, language, politics/taxes... Those are more unfortunate deterents... Which just amplifies the need to leverage the appeals (city, culture, legacy) we do have and damn well be sure that the factors we do control (management, team culture & direction) are league best/appealing.

Gainey understood that. Bergevin doesn't. It shows.

I'm not sure it's really fair to compare Gainey vs Bergevin on this topic. Gainey had a lot more pressure from his ownership to win right away while Bergevin seems to be taking a more patient approach. Bergevin has not really been very active with UFAs. Also the economics of the game are much different now.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I'm not sure it's really fair to compare Gainey vs Bergevin on this topic. Gainey had a lot more pressure from his ownership to win right away while Bergevin seems to be taking a more patient approach. Bergevin has not really been very active with UFAs. Also the economics of the game are much different now.

8 years to get here is "a more patient approach" indeed :laugh:

Bergevin hasn't been successful signing UFAs he targets aggressively, which is vastly different than not being active.

What about the economics do you see as "much different" now than in the mid-late 2000's?

Reactions: Pickles and ECWHSWI

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
That's not how people work...
Especially skilled workers with options.

I can tell you from experience that pro athletes absolutely do weigh the management (& coaching, & future teammates) of the teams they are considering FAR heavier than fans generally realize.

Some have little choice, but for those that do have options, it's a big factor

Gardiner is completely inconsequential to the discussion... Aside from being just another failed attempt by a GM who can't spend his money despite his best efforts

which team are you playing for ?

what experience ? Take a deep breath and sit back, JG signed for pennies on the dollar because of his back problems and his age. name me another UFA you would have signed at the price that he got signed for this summer. Panarin ?

Reactions: LastWordArmy

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I agree MB tried hard. But you have to go after the right players from the players that are available. Imo Subban for 3 years was the best option, and could have taken us to another level. He wasn't a free agent, so if you get him you get him - don't have to worry about this "Montre as l was a close 2nd" crap.
And at the price of Byron and Shaw (i.e. two 2nds +) passing on him was a big mistake imo.
Subban didn't along with team members, why would they go back there?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The Habs offer was only 3 years, so even if there is a tax disparity, he would have made enough in the next year after the Habs deal to make up for it.
That is not 100% sure. Past 30 years old, every year can easily be their last.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
8 years to get here is "a more patient approach" indeed :laugh:

Bergevin hasn't been successful signing UFAs he targets aggressively, which is vastly different than not being active.

What about the economics do you see as "much different" now than in the mid-late 2000's?

I still think Bergevin has been more selctive with UFA's. To me the bigger problem isn't him not getting them it's that Alzner who was one of the biggest names he got was a bust.

Well the big difference now is that young RFA's are being paid right away. I'd say it has a huge impact on the whole salary structure of teams especially as young players becoming dominant is more and more the norm.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
You are literally talking out of your ass, again.
I'd speculate that the Subban deal sent a bit of a message to the league. It doesn't matter how popular you are with the fans or how many millions you donate to a hospital, he will trade your ass when he is good and ready. I think people forget that Tavares and Subban were very close friends and then fans acted all shocked when it turned out Tavares did not consider the Habs for even 1 second.

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I still think Bergevin has been more selctive with UFA's. To me the bigger problem isn't him not getting them it's that Alzner who was one of the biggest names he got was a bust.

Well the big difference now is that young RFA's are being paid right away. I'd say it has a huge impact on the whole salary structure of teams especially as young players becoming dominant is more and more the norm.

Lucic, beleskey, Alzner, Parris, Briere, Chiarot.... More selective?

I suspect your right re. RfA factor moving fwd, but that really hasn't been much of a factor until the last 1-2yrs as agents/players have started to wake up to the leverage they have vs swallowing bridge deals. Most of MB's tenure, RFAs were dealt with pretty similarly to before he took over from what I recall

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Subban didn't along with team members, why would they go back there?

I think it was more that Therrien didn't like him, similar to how Tremblay didn't like Roy.

Asking why we'd want Subban back after Threrrien got canned is like asking who would want Roy back after Tremblay was canned??

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I'd speculate that the Subban deal sent a bit of a message to the league. It doesn't matter how popular you are with the fans or how many millions you donate to a hospital, he will trade your ass when he is good and ready. I think people forget that Tavares and Subban were very close friends and then fans acted all shocked when it turned out Tavares did not consider the Habs for even 1 second.
Subban was already in Nashville when Tavares signed as UFA...

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Smart move. He'll be better out of the spotlight.

I agree 100%. It's not all about the money.

Toronto is an insane hockey market for sure, but Montreal is next level insanity. That's not intended as a slight. Ontario born players can't wait to sign / play for Toronto, Quebec born players are very hesitant about playing for the Habs.

Would have loved to have him, he'd look great with Weber. But I feel like he'd implode under the pressure.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think it was more that Therrien didn't like him, similar to how Tremblay didn't like Roy.

Asking why we'd want Subban back after Threrrien got canned is like asking who would want Roy back after Tremblay was canned??
Teams keeping dumping Subban. Don't think much to do with Therrein. If he was good they would have kept him.

Reactions: phillytennis

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Lucic, beleskey, Alzner, Parris, Briere, Chiarot.... More selective?

I suspect your right re. RfA factor moving fwd, but that really hasn't been much of a factor until the last 1-2yrs as agents/players have started to wake up to the leverage they have vs swallowing bridge deals. Most of MB's tenure, RFAs were dealt with pretty similarly to before he took over from what I recall

I think Bergevin made some pretty bad mistakes like signing Subban to that deal so early and signing Alzner and he has tried to be more careful. Chariot scares me it really seems like a reach, but at least the term and contract are manageable... we shall see how it plays out.

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
Aloe preferring Gardiner over Kulak. If Gardiner was 25 with no back issue sure take him. But hes 29 and I doubt plays another full year in the league again. His defensive IQ is questionable at best while Kulak, just now 25 and just now got a real opportunity to play minutes in the league, showed he was just as valuable defensively as he is offensively and was (literally) the best possession D on the habs. Hes getting better and better and I wouldn't replace him with a bandaid Gardiner who will be forced to retire in 3 years. Stick to the script, and settle down.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Aloe preferring Gardiner over Kulak. If Gardiner was 25 with no back issue sure take him. But hes 29 and I doubt plays another full year in the league again. His defensive IQ is questionable at best while Kulak, just now 25 and just now got a real opportunity to play minutes in the league, showed he was just as valuable defensively as he is offensively and was (literally) the best possession D on the habs. Hes getting better and better and I wouldn't replace him with a bandaid Gardiner who will be forced to retire in 3 years. Stick to the script, and settle down.

I'm curious to see how expectations affect Kulak this year. As good as people thought he and Weal were neither of them moved the needle down the stretch last season.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
I have to give Bergevin some credit on this one. He actually identified a glaring need and made a reasonable UFA offer to a player who, while certainly imperfect, would have addressed that need better than any D currently on the roster. Snide jokes about Gardiner aside, I think he'd be fine playing with Weber instead of boat anchors like Zaitsev. And I can't fault MB when the player prefers another spot due to locale/climate/pressure etc.

Next step, it is up to MB to make the team competitive enough that the next wave of UFAs will want to come to Montreal so they can win (which, as noted, is also a big selling point for UFAs). Not so sure that MB is going to be able to fulfill that, unfortunately.

Reactions: scrubadam

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I have to give Bergevin some credit on this one. He actually identified a glaring need and made a reasonable UFA offer to a player who, while certainly imperfect, would have addressed that need better than any D currently on the roster. Snide jokes about Gardiner aside, I think he'd be fine playing with Weber instead of boat anchors like Zaitsev. And I can't fault MB when the player prefers another spot due to locale/climate/pressure etc.

Next step, it is up to MB to make the team competitive enough that the next wave of UFAs will want to come to Montreal so they can win (which, as noted, is also a big selling point for UFAs). Not so sure that MB is going to be able to fulfill that, unfortunately.

If things went MB's way we would have Duchene and Gardnier on this team.

The players chose other cities, thats their right. Thats the point of UFA.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Gardiner is better than all of our LHD combined, people calling him another Alzner is absurd. Hes a lot closer to another Jeff Petry than a Karl Alzner. Not to mention hes played with garbage linemates on defense and Weber makes every player he plays with look much better(Mete,Kulak,Beaulieu,Emelin).

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
I'm curious to see how expectations affect Kulak this year. As good as people thought he and Weal were neither of them moved the needle down the stretch last season.
Its going to be a fun year to watch these 2 develop and see if they can bring it to the next level. I do believe they will be on a short leash as Montreal will want and basically need to get off to a good start, if they want to stay they'll have to prove it. Exciting though

Jul 6, 2016
Gardiner never wanted to play in MTL.... Even for 20 M $ for 3 years.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Living in Ontario and hearing the constant Gardiner bashing by fans over the last 3 years, there was no chance I thought he would play in MTL.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Subban was already in Nashville when Tavares signed as UFA...
Exactly my point. Subban got screwed over by the habs hard...why would his friend sign with the habs?
Gardiner is better than all of our LHD combined, people calling him another Alzner is absurd. Hes a lot closer to another Jeff Petry than a Karl Alzner. Not to mention hes played with garbage linemates on defense and Weber makes every player he plays with look much better(Mete,Kulak,Beaulieu,Emelin).
If Petry was made of papier maché....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad