News Article: Habs offered Gardiner a 3 year 15.75 million contract!

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
He may be popular with other GMs and hockey people (debatable whether that is for the right reasons) but he is definitely not popular with players. Those who have been following the Habs soap opera over the years know there is truth to this. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Also, it doesn't really matter what people think. More importantly, the results haven't been there to justify his continued employment. We deserve better and continually settle for less.

You don’t know what the players think. Markov was unhappy but Shaw had good words. No one on these boards has a clue what the players think about him. It’s BS

Personally, should he have been fired, IMO yes, after the season prior to last. Last year probably gave him a little more time. It’s fair to criticize his moves but total spin to start speaking for how the players feel about him.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
He's 29. Will there be a 4th year? More than likely yes. But you never know. Some players prefer stability and insurance. Pretty sure Alzner right now is happy to have signed a 5 years deal. When you are close to 30 the numbers of years matters a lot more.

yeah I said pretty much exactly that.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I would have offered more tbh. Anyways I doubt he would have signed with us unless it's a ridiculous overpayment.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Much better giving over 8 mil to Chiarot and Alzner.

This is not how money management or tax works in the real world, especially since we don't know the structure of the deal Montreal offered.
The 15.75 million deal is very unlikely to bring more clear money than the 16.2 million deal.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Who cares about JG. But I will say this, Hockey players must be the only athletes in the world that have no cohones to play in big markets.
It’s true. So few thrive in it. Subban was one of them, but most of them shy away from bigger markets. Tavares, Panarin, these guys recently looked to play in the bigger markets.

In the NBA, NFL, these guys want to play in the big markets and get more spotlight. There’s also more sponsorship opportunities. I don’t get it.

As for Gardiner, that sucks. He would have provided what we need on the blueline with his skill set and would have been covered well by Weber or Petry. Chiarot wouldn’t have been needed at all. Either he didn’t want to be in the spotlight or he really wanted the fourth year and we weren’t willing to give him it (or the lower cost of living in Raleigh, among others).

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I would have offered more tbh. Anyways I doubt he would have signed with us unless it's a ridiculous overpayment.

I always wondered if 1 year at our max cap space ~8m would work.

I think we should have done deals like these instead of wasting cap space for 3 years in a row.

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The 15.75 million deal is very unlikely to bring more clear money than the 16.2 million deal.

If it's front loaded or bonus heavy, its probably going to bring in money with even an vet min as fourth year (unless he spends money like a drunken sailor).

He signed a back-loaded contract with no signing bonuses. Like, even basic financial planning without much focus into tax planning would be able to get more out of a front-loaded and/or a signing bonus laden contract.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Very few big name UFAs want Montreal. Whether it’s Bargain Bin, or any number of other reasons, it’s just not attracting anyone. Which is why we have to build from our core and add the pieces as they come along. If you build a great team, UFAs will want to sign, simple as that, everyone wants to play for a winner.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
He got so much shit from Toronto media and fans. Im not surprised that he didnt want to go to Montreal which is an even tougher environment when you have a bad game. He went to carolina where hes basically anonymous.

I wouldnt read too much into it other than to say some players like Domi love a market like Montreal and others like Gardiner want a market like Carolina. This is something we already knew though. Its up to management to identify more of the Domi types going forward.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Total salary: 16.2 vs 15.75
Taxes: I believe Carolina has a lower tax rate than QC for the 41 games. It is also spread out over 4 years so it is potentially easier to maximize returns. I'm no tax expert.

So what exactly is simply not true?

You are assuming he retires after 3 years in Montreal and gets no new contract for the 2022-23 season for 1.

For 2 you are assuming he doesnt invest any of the money. Getting the 15.75 faster would mean bigger returns on his investments than getting it later. The quicker you get the money, the more time for it to grow.

He choose carolina despite a better financial offer from Montreal. That part is clear.

Reactions: scrubadam

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Very few big name UFAs want Montreal. Whether it’s Bargain Bin, or any number of other reasons, it’s just not attracting anyone. Which is why we have to build from our core and add the pieces as they come along. If you build a great team, UFAs will want to sign, simple as that, everyone wants to play for a winner.

This is what we did 6-7 years ago. But then MB decided to add character. I don't understand why people are confident he wont crap the bed a 2nd time. Nothing lead me to believe he understand how mistaken he was about the character thing. In fact he said like 2 years ago the lack of development of our kids was all on them. I'm highly skeptical of a GM who identified only 3 years ago Subban as the problem while having DD as a 1st line center.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...DMAV6BAgEEBY&usg=AOvVaw254IHH32YtkKgflrrp16P-

If this is true JG left 1.2 million on the table because he was too scared to play in another big market.

I'm a bigger fan of his now LOL.

What do you guys think? Smart move by Gardiner or he's just a pu$)%#?

Discuss!

Last time I checked the 16.2m he signed for is more money then the 15.75 we offered, so no he didn't leave money on the table, he took the contract that gave him the most money.

He gave up the potential to earn more money if at the end of the contract he was productive and healthy which is far from a given.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
If he didn’t want to be in Montreal, then that’s a guy you don’t want. He received bad press in Toronto and probably figured it could be worse in Montreal. I’d rather they not get guys that can’t handle it. Let’s face it, the only way they get bigger name free agents is to improve the team to the point that guys want to come here again. Which means, draft well and develop well.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
You are assuming he retires after 3 years in Montreal and gets no new contract for the 2022-23 season for 1.

For 2 you are assuming he doesnt invest any of the money. Getting the 15.75 faster would mean bigger returns on his investments than getting it later. The quicker you get the money, the more time for it to grow.

He choose carolina despite a better financial offer from Montreal. That part is clear.

Gardiner gave up potential money for guaranteed money, but to say Montreal's offer was better financially isn't true. Montreal's offer was potentially better, and chances are he got 1 year offers that were even better still, but taking the guaranteed money is often times the smarter financial move.

And when you are talking potential money on a future deal I could just as easily argue that his future deal would be better after spending 4 years in Carolina where there's a strong supporting cast and he;s more likely to go on long playoff runs and put rest the playoff no-show label that currently follows him. Whereas in Montreal he would likely be bashed constantly by the fans/media which would hurt his future contract.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Dodged a bullet, but at the same time, how pathetic is this franchise.

How pathetic is the GM that he almost cries at press conferences and tells us it takes 2 weeks to get a John f***ing Scott deal done and it doesn't register to him that's just terrible management.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How pathetic is the GM that he almost cries at press conferences and tells us it takes 2 weeks to get a John ****ing Scott deal done and it doesn't register to him that's just terrible management.
It is, but the GM is the franchise, so that reflects on the team as a whole. Just horrible were the biggest joke in the NHL.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
And when you are talking potential money on a future deal I could just as easily argue that his future deal would be better after spending 4 years in Carolina where there's a strong supporting cast and he;s more likely to go on long playoff runs and put rest the playoff no-show label that currently follows him. Whereas in Montreal he would likely be bashed constantly by the fans/media which would hurt his future contract.

...Gardiner is part of the support cast (and if he's in the main cast, for the sake of your credibility, don't say that he's likely to go on long playoff runs).

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
That's fine because building through free agency is a huge mistake. Sometimes it may be worth it to get a top tier player (Panarin) or a hidden gem (Radulov) but it rarely pays off. You build through the draft first. Second is through smart asset management. Then you can plug holes through FA if absolutely necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad