News Article: Habs offered Gardiner a 3 year 15.75 million contract!

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto
Is it common in pro sports for "higher tier" players to shy away from high pressure markets? To not thrive under a big market's pressure? I feel like it's pretty common in hockey for players to prefer being out of the spotlight (except for maybe being on the NY Rangers). Although in Gardiner's case, I suppose being the scapegoat in Toronto for so long has been mentally draining.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Is it common in pro sports for "higher tier" players to shy away from high pressure markets? To not thrive under a big market's pressure? I feel like it's pretty common in hockey for players to prefer being out of the spotlight (except for maybe being on the NY Rangers). Although in Gardiner's case, I suppose being the scapegoat in Toronto for so long has been mentally draining.
Why would he want to sign here for though?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
If MB offered this guy almost 30% more per year and thos guy turned it down, well , thos isnt on MB for " failing ". This is what I wanted MB ro do wou Rads ( offer a million more).

Quebecois near or at the height of their careers do not sign here when they have the chance ex Briere, Vinnie, so something turns UFAs off.

Fine. Plenty of top guys like staying here , like Markov, Pleks, PK, Patches etc.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Timeline is important here. The article says that the Habs offer came in early July. Gardiner turned it down hoping to get a better offer. Then Bergevin later signed Chiarot which he almost certainly wouldn't have done if Gardiner had signed. Then two months later Gardiner signed with Carolina when the Habs offer was no longer on the table.

So Gardiner didn't reject the Habs offer in favour of the Carolina offer, he rejected because he thought he could get a better deal. Turns out he was wrong and he had to settle for the Carolina offer.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...DMAV6BAgEEBY&usg=AOvVaw254IHH32YtkKgflrrp16P-

If this is true JG left 1.2 million on the table because he was too scared to play in another big market.

I'm a bigger fan of his now LOL.

What do you guys think? Smart move by Gardiner or he's just a pu$)%#?

Discuss!
Good to hear, must have signed Chariot after. Bergs really tired hard this summer. Makes 3 he was in on after AHO and Duchene. Sounds like he will try to make big splash during season.

Gardiner skill wise would be a good pickup. But his personality was not a good fit here. He probably made the right decision.

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
Just LOL @ the coping here..

Gardiner wasn't afraid of the spotlight. He was willing to return to Toronto but they didn't accommodate him. As I said in another thread, he'd likely only sign with us as a last resort. Why?

Virtually no player of any significance wants to come to Montreal (Aho even admitted to using us to get a deal done quicker with CAR). It has very little to do with the spotlight, the pressure, or the tax rate, and more to do with how badly Bergevin has managed this team and treated players. No one wants to come to this clown show until new management is on board.

A fish rots from the head down.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Gardiner wasn't afraid of the spotlight. He was willing to return to Toronto but they didn't accommodate him. As I said in another thread, he'd likely only sign with us as a last resort. Why?

Virtually no player of any significance wants to come to Montreal (Aho even admitted to using us to get a deal done quicker with CAR). It has very little to do with the spotlight, the pressure, or the tax rate, and more to do with how badly Bergevin has managed this team and treated players. No one wants to come to this clown show until new management is on board.

You're overestimating the care players have for Bergevin by a LOT. Truth be told Montreal has always been a highly respected organization and Bergevin probably factored very little in the decision one way or another.

Also - big difference in wanting to return to Tor to play for coaches and with teammates he knows than going to another brand new big market.

I assume him not wanting to play in a big market played a big role. Which is fine - some people thrive better like that so good for him.

Im happy with the offer Bergevin made if true - the AAV is fine and i rlly like the term too.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...DMAV6BAgEEBY&usg=AOvVaw254IHH32YtkKgflrrp16P-

If this is true JG left 1.2 million on the table because he was too scared to play in another big market.

I'm a bigger fan of his now LOL.

What do you guys think? Smart move by Gardiner or he's just a pu$)%#?

Discuss!

Let's not judge another man's decision. Remember Patrice Brisebois got an arythmic heart from being booed so often. Psychological pain can be just as harmful as phisical violence.

JG knew what was best for him, knew his strengths and weaknesses and made his decision accordingly.

Reactions: Gravity

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Good to hear, must have signed Chariot after. Bergs really tired hard this summer. Makes 3 he was in on after AHO and Duchene. Sounds like he will try to make big splash during season.

Gardiner skill wise would be a good pickup. But his personality was not a good fit here. He probably made the right decision.

I agree MB tried hard. But you have to go after the right players from the players that are available. Imo Subban for 3 years was the best option, and could have taken us to another level. He wasn't a free agent, so if you get him you get him - don't have to worry about this "Montre as l was a close 2nd" crap.
And at the price of Byron and Shaw (i.e. two 2nds +) passing on him was a big mistake imo.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Woul've been;
Gardiner at 5.25 for 3 years
Alzner at 4.625 for 3 more years.
Chiarot at 3.5 for 3 years
13.375 total.
Absolutely not a fan. Thank god he signed with the Jerks.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Lool... it’s so pathetic that I have nothing to add

Reactions: dralaf

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral

Do you have a link for this?

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad