News Article: Habs offered Gardiner a 3 year 15.75 million contract!

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Do you have a link for this?
https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/canes-now/article234930807.html

Like other restricted free-agent forward in the NHL — Toronto’s Mitch Marner and Winnipeg’s Patrik Laine, to name two — Aho might be still be unsigned, still sitting out, wondering when he’d be joining his teammates. “You never know but watching those other guys, there’s a pretty good chance,” Aho said in an N&O interview on Tuesday. “That was a pretty big reason why I did it,” Aho said. “I wanted to start the season on time and it’s pretty good to be here right now with the guys. You don’t have to stress or anything. You’re here.”

Aho said he talked with Dundon on July 2, adding: “I’m happy it went down pretty quickly. It was one day and everything was back to normal, I guess. There was a lot less drama than media (reports). Everyone knew pretty much what was going to happen.”

That Johannson made his comments to Marc Antoine Godin of The Athletic after the offer sheet was tendered made little sense. The terms of the contract were set once Aho signed the offer sheet. If anything, Johannson’s comments could have poisoned the water a bit for Aho with some Canes fans. Does Aho really want to play for the Canadiens?

“Those weren’t my comments, so I’d rather not comment on it,” Aho said Tuesday. “I’ve said probably a hundred times already what I think about the situation. That’s not what I was saying.”

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/canes-now/article234930807.html

Like other restricted free-agent forward in the NHL — Toronto’s Mitch Marner and Winnipeg’s Patrik Laine, to name two — Aho might be still be unsigned, still sitting out, wondering when he’d be joining his teammates. “You never know but watching those other guys, there’s a pretty good chance,” Aho said in an N&O interview on Tuesday. “That was a pretty big reason why I did it,” Aho said. “I wanted to start the season on time and it’s pretty good to be here right now with the guys. You don’t have to stress or anything. You’re here.”

Aho said he talked with Dundon on July 2, adding: “I’m happy it went down pretty quickly. It was one day and everything was back to normal, I guess. There was a lot less drama than media (reports). Everyone knew pretty much what was going to happen.”

That Johannson made his comments to Marc Antoine Godin of The Athletic after the offer sheet was tendered made little sense. The terms of the contract were set once Aho signed the offer sheet. If anything, Johannson’s comments could have poisoned the water a bit for Aho with some Canes fans. Does Aho really want to play for the Canadiens?

“Those weren’t my comments, so I’d rather not comment on it,” Aho said Tuesday. “I’ve said probably a hundred times already what I think about the situation. That’s not what I was saying.”

He wasn’t gonna say that he didn’t want to play for the Canes ...

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Just LOL @ the coping here..

Gardiner wasn't afraid of the spotlight. He was willing to return to Toronto but they didn't accommodate him. As I said in another thread, he'd likely only sign with us as a last resort. Why?

Virtually no player of any significance wants to come to Montreal (Aho even admitted to using us to get a deal done quicker with CAR). It has very little to do with the spotlight, the pressure, or the tax rate, and more to do with how badly Bergevin has managed this team and treated players. No one wants to come to this clown show until new management is on board.

A fish rots from the head down.
this is pure BS. Bergevin is hardly some unrespected GM, and is in fact very popular in NHL circles.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He wasn’t gonna say that he didn’t want to play for the Canes ...

Sorry. I wasn't coming to your board to debate it (as it was debated at length in July) so I mean no offense. I was here reading about Gardiner and saw a request for a link so I provided it, that's all. Everyone will interpret it how they see fit.

Reactions: Vachon23

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
It was in early July? Did the habs have an offer on the table for Chiarot at the same time or not. That's the interesting details missing.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Gardiner makes more total money on his current deal at a lesser tax rate.
Simply not true. There is a difference between canadian and american cities but not to the extent many think.

Also, my understanding is they get taxed on a per game basis based on the location they play their games, in many cases. So 41 games taxed at home state or province rate, 41 spread across north america.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Timeline is important here. The article says that the Habs offer came in early July. Gardiner turned it down hoping to get a better offer. Then Bergevin later signed Chiarot which he almost certainly wouldn't have done if Gardiner had signed. Then two months later Gardiner signed with Carolina when the Habs offer was no longer on the table.

So Gardiner didn't reject the Habs offer in favour of the Carolina offer, he rejected because he thought he could get a better deal. Turns out he was wrong and he had to settle for the Carolina offer.

Makes the Chiarot signing even worse. How do you figure "well damn Gardiner turned down our offer, let's use all the money to overpay this plug Chiarot then"?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Simply not true. There is a difference between canadian and american cities but not to the extent many think.

Also, my understanding is they get taxed on a per game basis based on the location they play their games. So 41 games taxed at home state ornorovince rate, 41 spread across north america.
Total salary: 16.2 vs 15.75
Taxes: I believe Carolina has a lower tax rate than QC for the 41 games. It is also spread out over 4 years so it is potentially easier to maximize returns. I'm no tax expert.

So what exactly is simply not true?

Reactions: LaP

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Total salary: 16.2 vs 15.75
Taxes: I believe Carolina has a lower tax rate than QC for the 41 games. It is also spread out over 4 years so it is potentially easier to maximize returns. I'm no tax expert.

So what exactly is simply not true?

That the tax rates are different enough, to make more money on the lesser deal. Not true.

There are different tax rates. The 5.25 montreal contract is still more per year than the 4 mil carolina one.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...DMAV6BAgEEBY&usg=AOvVaw254IHH32YtkKgflrrp16P-

If this is true JG left 1.2 million on the table because he was too scared to play in another big market.

I'm a bigger fan of his now LOL.

What do you guys think? Smart move by Gardiner or he's just a pu$)%#?

Discuss!

He did not leave 1.3 millions on the table. The contract he accepted actually gives him more money overall. He's getting older and money in your pocket > money potentially in your pocket. Like Alzner his career might be over before the end of the contract.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Habs offered money and term to Gardiner. But didn't offered him a good team to play in. The most optimistic posters around here can't even tell you that we have a team to make the playoffs.....Somehow, they probably think the Canes have more chance than we do.....But then, at even level, being bashed in Toronto, Gardiner surely prefers NOT making the playoffs in Carolina then in Montreal....

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
That the tax rates are different enough, to make more money on the lesser deal. Not true.
It is not a lesser deal in total value (16.2 vs 15.75). I'm talking total money, not money per year. The tax rate just make the difference between the two total amounts bigger.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
It is not a lesser deal in total value (16.2 vs 15.75). I'm talking total money, not money per year. The tax rate just make the difference between the two total amounts bigger.
I see what you mean.

Sure. But also leaves him free to make up the difference in a 4th year with another contract (which, who knows, he could make far more, he could make nothing).

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013

Thank you. One of many news sources. Here's another: Aho thankful for contract with Hurricanes after Canadiens' offer sheet

Last edited:

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
this is pure BS. Bergevin is hardly some unrespected GM, and is in fact very popular in NHL circles.

He may be popular with other GMs and hockey people (debatable whether that is for the right reasons) but he is definitely not popular with players. Those who have been following the Habs soap opera over the years know there is truth to this. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Also, it doesn't really matter what people think. More importantly, the results haven't been there to justify his continued employment. We deserve better and continually settle for less.

Reactions: Vodka_Tonic

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
The tax thing is just excuses for Bergevin. It isn't true. I should be taxed at 52% but I only pay 33% or something like that. There are plenty of ways to minimize your tax impact.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The tax thing is just excuses for Bergevin. It isn't true. I should be taxed at 52% but I only pay 33% or something like that. There are plenty of ways to minimize your tax impact.
Yeah I briefly looked into Quebec's tax structure and there is certainly more to it than the numbers suggest.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Just LOL @ the coping here..

Gardiner wasn't afraid of the spotlight. He was willing to return to Toronto but they didn't accommodate him. As I said in another thread, he'd likely only sign with us as a last resort. Why?

Virtually no player of any significance wants to come to Montreal (Aho even admitted to using us to get a deal done quicker with CAR). It has very little to do with the spotlight, the pressure, or the tax rate, and more to do with how badly Bergevin has managed this team and treated players. No one wants to come to this clown show until new management is on board.

A fish rots from the head down.
Get lost, Toronto fan.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I see what you mean.

Sure. But also leaves him free to make up the difference in a 4th year with another contract (which, who knows, he could make far more, he could make nothing).

He's 29. Will there be a 4th year? More than likely yes. But you never know. Some players prefer stability and insurance. Pretty sure Alzner right now is happy to have signed a 5 years deal. When you are close to 30 the numbers of years matters a lot more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad