Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2020-21 - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoods1623

Jun 27, 2016
North Shore
I was at the Iowa Wild game tonight, and that stretch pass from Rossi was amazing to see in person. Can't wait to see him continue making progress in the AHL and eventually the NHL.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Something that has bothered me; I love Kaprizov, but we can't say he was young when coming into the league. He was a rookie.

I really want to see Minnesota actually draft a player that an immediate (or close to immediate) impact on the roster.

Rossi - going to be two years removed from actually playing regularly in the NHL
Boldy - going to be three years.
Johnasson - If ever...

Minnesota forward rookies that actually make an impact are generally > 21 years old.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Something that has bothered me; I love Kaprizov, but we can't say he was young when coming into the league. He was a rookie.

I really want to see Minnesota actually draft a player that an immediate (or close to immediate) impact on the roster.

Rossi - going to be two years removed from actually playing regularly in the NHL
Boldy - going to be three years.
Johnasson - If ever...

Minnesota forward rookies that actually make an impact are generally > 21 years old.

Sounds pretty standard if you're not picking in the top 5, with a few outliers of course.

You're just talking about making absolute home run draft picks, which I think we'd all be in favor of.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Thoughts on a Novak?
I don't get to see much of him, but what I have seen tells me he has a really great shot, but is quite small. I think he'll probably have to improve his skating quite a bit to become an NHLer. If he doesn't improve there, I think he'll end up being a KHL scorer.

I'd love to hear from someone who watches him regularly though. My perceptions are going to be colored by the small sample size.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

What is going on with this guy?

Good question. They brought him up, and didn't play him, while playing guys like Sucese and Kuffner. Now that Dewar and Beckman are back down, and Rossi over his illness, there are not many open spots, but I'd have to think that he either has a bad attitude/"lifestyle" problems, is in bad shape/health, or just isn't that good. He sure looked talented to me in junior hockey.

It doesn't look good to not be able to make the KHL and the AHL in successive years as a D+4. He's almost a year younger than Dewar, so there is some hope, but he better get on it ASAP.

Goose312

May 15, 2015

What is going on with this guy?

Russo mentioned on a recent podcast when asked about him that when he was finally cleared to enter the country and play in Iowa he was in terrible game shape and they didn't feel he was even fit to play in Iowa.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Russo mentioned on a recent podcast when asked about him that when he was finally cleared to enter the country and play in Iowa he was in terrible game shape and they didn't feel he was even fit to play in Iowa.
:help::facepalm:

How a wannabe athlete thinks he can do his job w/o being in shape is beyond me.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
:help::facepalm:

How a wannabe athlete thinks he can do his job w/o being in shape is beyond me.
Because in lower levels they get by on skill alone. As you mature and progress in competitiveness the margin for error is less. Being in tip top shape increases with each level. I've known plenty of players like that.

"I didn't really have to practice in Bantams and I was a star. I shouldn't have to in high school"
"I only took some practices seriously in high school and I did pretty well, why do I have to practice seriously in college?"
etc. etc.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Because in lower levels they get by on skill alone. As you mature and progress in competitiveness the margin for error is less. Being in tip top shape increases with each level. I've known plenty of players like that.

"I didn't really have to practice in Bantams and I was a star. I shouldn't have to in high school"
"I only took some practices seriously in high school and I did pretty well, why do I have to practice seriously in college?"
etc. etc.

see dustin byfuglien basically every year entering camp :laugh:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

That's why what happened to Rossi is scary. It's probably going to be at least a year before Rossi gets back to game shape, and we're already seeing a nice progression, but I think that he's just scratching the surface of what he can do. But even being out for as long as he was, that's going to hurt a bit. At least he's a phenomenal athlete...

As for Khovanov, not surprised.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

P10p

May 15, 2012
Rossi skating better this period than I've witnessed thus far.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dewar with a goal. He and Beckman are playing together, and have had a lot of chances including a 2 on 0, but haven't clicked yet. Rossi is looking reasonably good. Addison looks off.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I think Rossi looks like the best offensive center in the organization right now, not that it means much

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rossi with two assists in a 4-3 win. He looks good, but if i had to guess, Dewar might be the 1st call up if they need a Center. He is playing well also, and has less toprove down in the AHL, whereas i think Rossi can really use more games down in Iowa. Beckman is starting to look fast.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Rossi looks like the best offensive center in the organization right now, not that it means much
His hands and brain are good and quick, but i think he needs to get quicker on his feet to be effective in the NHL as a Center. In some ways he reminds me of a shrunken Boldy.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
His hands and brain are good and quick, but i think he needs to get quicker on his feet to be effective in the NHL as a Center. In some ways he reminds me of a shrunken Boldy.
Quickness isn’t the issue as much as playing quick, though I think he’s improving in that area too. He’s got good speed on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA