Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2020-21 - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Wasn't the concern going into the season that team he's on actually had one of the better goalies so Wallstedt wouldn't get enough starts? I could be fuzzy on the details but it sounded like the Wild were hoping to facilitate a trade to a new team within the SHL, but ultimately nothing happened. Then the intended starter got injured just before the season giving the reigns to Wallstedt and he since stole the starting job?

It sounds a bit too fantastic to be true, but looking at the other goalie getting starts he does have pretty good numbers in the SHL so maybe?

I believe Lassinantti was Lulea's long time starter who had left to KHL, but his stint there didn't work out and he returned mid-season to take Wallstedt's starter position last year.

Rest of what you said also aligns with how I understood the situation, but I've jsut been relying on stat watching and other poster's opinions instead of actually watching the team.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Lambos with 1+1, he is at 14 points in 14 games so far this season, leading all WHL defenders.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
If we can maintain the scoring chance suppression of years past and add a legitimately elite goaltending talent, we could be a very good team.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
They’re ridiculously good but that’s because they’re ridiculously balanced.
Agreed. I didn't mean it as an indictment on Lambos, more just a commentary on how insanely good that team is. They remind me of the St. Johns Sea Dogs while Huberdeau, Coyle, Philips, Gauthier, etc. were there. Only this Winnipeg Ice team may be even more stacked. Half their team is at point-per-game, and the goaltending has been fantastic.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Agreed. I didn't mean it as an indictment on Lambos, more just a commentary on how insanely good that team is. They remind me of the St. Johns Sea Dogs while Huberdeau, Coyle, Philips, Gauthier, etc. were there. Only this Winnipeg Ice team may be even more stacked. Half their team is at point-per-game, and the goaltending has been fantastic.
It somehow worries me that you know that. I guess that's what happens when you have long layoffs between games.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
McBain named Hockey East's Player of the Month. Sure is nice to have C prospects in the system doing well.

Reactions: BagHead

P10p

May 15, 2012
Rossi's play has been puzzling. Through the draft and even watching his OHL highlights he was touted as a sort of relentless hardworking two-way type to go along with vision and playmaking. Through his start in the AHL he just hasn't shown that at all. He has been finding his points with nice touches and vision but we still haven't seen that other part of his game yet. Could be a myriad of factors such as conditioning due to not playing, could be that he seems like a quiet kid and just needs some time to get comfortable, could be just typical first year pro stuff, but I would be lieing if I were to say I haven't been disappointed by what appears to be a lack of tenacity and effort.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Rossi's play has been puzzling. Through the draft and even watching his OHL highlights he was touted as a sort of relentless hardworking two-way type to go along with vision and playmaking. Through his start in the AHL he just hasn't shown that at all. He has been finding his points with nice touches and vision but we still haven't seen that other part of his game yet. Could be a myriad of factors such as conditioning due to not playing, could be that he seems like a quiet kid and just needs some time to get comfortable, could be just typical first year pro stuff, but I would be lieing if I were to say I haven't been disappointed by what appears to be a lack of tenacity and effort.

Having said all that, the kid finds a way to score! 1+1 tonight so far.

Reactions: keppel146

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
What i like about Rossi is his IQ, and that he is handling the puck really well, and often. Nice moves in tight, and makes some great passes. In 3 v 3 OT he grabbed the puck off a turnover, made space for himself, moved around another, then set up Addison for a great chance. Addison couldn't convert...nothing he could do about that.

I would like to see Rossi work on his quickness and speed, especially his first two steps, but I am not too worried about his intensity, though it could be better. We've got intense, banger type guys. I want him to be orchestrating and controlling events out there when we have the puck, and setting up guys like Beckman and Boldy.

Rossi had a giveaway on a bang bang play at their own Blue line that ended up in a GA. He's got to be better, but it was a messy play that wasn't all his fault, as a teammate also was farting around with the puck and not chipping it out, which led to the giveaway. I am hoping that Rossi improves quite a bit over the next 10 games or so, like Boldy did last year, but i wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't need the whole season down in the AHL(with maybe a brief looksee in the NHL), then a summer, before he is ready for the NHL.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't think it's fitness so much as timing, adjusting to a better league, and trying to figure out his linemates. Some of them make some questionable decisions, which is part of the reason they are minor leaguers. I think he might be a perfect fit for Beckman, as his game is easy to figure out...get puck, shoot puck, ugh!

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Guerin can't close the deal with a guy from his alma mater on a team that desperately needs Centers then maybe he needs to find a new line of work.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If Guerin can't close the deal with a guy from his alma mater on a team that desperately needs Centers then maybe he needs to find a new line of work.

I'm curious to know what Boldy will say to McBain when the college season is over. It could range anywhere from "this place is awesome" to "run far, far away".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad