Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2020-21 - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Filip Johansson currently at 7pts in 14gp.

Among the top 20 defensemen in points he is the 3rd youngest, behind Edvinsson and Rangers 2 rounder Albert Johansson. Not bad for someone considered more of a 2 way d man. Also of note, although I haven't watched his more recent games, watching him at the start of the season he looked great. Good skater while also looking pretty strong. Likes to get involved in the offense as well.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Among the top 20 defensemen in points he is the 3rd youngest, behind Edvinsson and Rangers 2 rounder Albert Johansson. Not bad for someone considered more of a 2 way d man. Also of note, although I haven't watched his more recent games, watching him at the start of the season he looked great. Good skater while also looking pretty strong. Likes to get involved in the offense as well.

It would certainly be a bonus if he can turn into a serviceable middle or bottom pairing defenseman in the NHL.

Goose312

May 15, 2015

Wild should offer him a contract next spring. If he takes it there's no harm in giving him a 2 year look in the AHL with the glut of LHD they have coming up. If he doesn't sign they get a compensatory pick.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Wild should offer him a contract next spring. If he takes it there's no harm in giving him a 2 year look in the AHL with the glut of LHD they have coming up. If he doesn't sign they get a compensatory pick.

This is correct. There is absolutely nobody in the AHL blocking him from giving it a go. Not offering a contract would be extremely negligent on management's part.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, I don't know that FJo would want to come over and play in Iowa. SHL probably has more appeal. He would be looking at the team captain, Dumba(pretty clear management likes him), and Addison ( RHD younger than him) ahead of him ...not exactly a lot of opportunity at RHD for the next few years.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Well, I don't know that FJo would want to come over and play in Iowa. SHL probably has more appeal. He would be looking at the team captain, Dumba(pretty clear management likes him), and Addison ( RHD younger than him) ahead of him ...not exactly a lot of opportunity at RHD for the next few years.

If he wants to make money and play in the NHL his best bet (especially with this management) is probably to come pay his dues in the AHL. To my knowledge he hasn't been to a prospect camp of any kind with us, he's a complete stranger to the system, I highly doubt they would put him straight on the NHL team unless he has a cataclysmic explosion next season (though we'd lose his rights by then).

Even being on the third pair in Minnesota would likely be somewhere between 5 and 10 times the salary he's making now. If he comes over next season and plays in the AHL, he could make the NHL team the following year when Dumba is likely gone.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

That's fine. Then he can turn down the contract and get us a "free" 2nd round pick.

If he wants to make money and play in the NHL his best bet (especially with this management) is probably to come pay his dues in the AHL. To my knowledge he hasn't been to a prospect camp of any kind with us, he's a complete stranger to the system, I highly doubt they would put him straight on the NHL team unless he has a cataclysmic explosion next season (though we'd lose his rights by then).

Even being on the third pair in Minnesota would likely be somewhere between 5 and 10 times the salary he's making now. If he comes over next season and plays in the AHL, he could make the NHL team the following year when Dumba is likely gone.

I believe that he has been.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: nickschultzfan

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It appears that he was on the 2018 and 2019 rosters.

Okay, so he's not a complete stranger to the system. I'd imagine he'll still need to play at least a year in Iowa before they'll let him compete for a spot in Minnesota.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Okay, so he's not a complete stranger to the system. I'd imagine he'll still need to play at least a year in Iowa before they'll let him compete for a spot in Minnesota.

I imagine so as well. I don't even really care if he does come over or not, but they need to offer him.

Reactions: fgobuzz

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I imagine so as well. I don't even really care if he does come over or not, but they need to offer him.

I don't see why they wouldn't make him an offer. As someone who has notoriously been very critical of the pick/player, there's no reason not to at least give it a shot at this point. Then again, Guerin has some weird hang-ups.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Khovanov up to Iowa, one step closer, maybe.
Partly because we have 4 ( 5 counting Duhaime) Iowans up in MN. If Khovanov doesn't play and practice well he'll be back down in the ECHL once Rau, Beckman, and Dewar go down. It's a strong forward group in Iowa. Swaney, Rossi, Shaw, Giroux, Cramarossa, Chaffee, McLeod isn't going to go down, Bitten ....even Boldy might be back in a week or two, and will probably play in Iowa to start out.

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
He's going to score 80+ in Iowa, become a late season callup, and lead the big club to the second round of the playoffs. I like my scenario better. Lol

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I could be wrong, everybody has to earn their spot, but I see his ECHL stint as more of a conditioning thing rather than a permanent placement.

Iowa has 16 forwards who have played a game this season so far. McLeod isn't going to be rotated out because he's the captain, but that list includes other guys: Bryce Gervais, Ryan Kuffner, Kris Bennett, Dominic Turgeon, Nate Sucese; who can all be moved around without damage. You don't relegate a prospect like Khovanov to the ECHL in favor of those guys unless Khovanov really f***s up. The guys he's going to have to fight against are Swaney, Cramarossa, Rau, Dewar, Giroux, Shaw, Rossi, Chaffee, Beckman, Bitten. At most. And a motivated, in shape Khovanov is better than half of those at least. And only a few of those have a future in the NHL.

Sokolov got over 100 AHL over two seasons, one of them shortened. There's no reason now that Khovanov should get less.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Good to see Pillar doing well. He was a second year eligible pick, so you want to see big numbers to stay relevant. Similar path to Dewar.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011

Also worth noting that his backup has significantly worse numbers (4GP, .871 SV%, 3.82 GAA), so it can't just a be a product of defensive system.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, Goligoski better, Addison sent down. Not surprised, but sure hope that Kulikov/Addison is our 3rd pairing sooner rather than later.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
So, Goligoski better, Addison sent down. Not surprised, but sure hope that Kulikov/Addison is our 3rd pairing sooner rather than later.
If Goligoski is in the lineup, then the hope should be that Kulikov/Adisson would be the 2nd pair sooner than later.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Probably true, but it could also be the product of a terrible backup.
Wasn't the concern going into the season that team he's on actually had one of the better goalies so Wallstedt wouldn't get enough starts? I could be fuzzy on the details but it sounded like the Wild were hoping to facilitate a trade to a new team within the SHL, but ultimately nothing happened. Then the intended starter got injured just before the season giving the reigns to Wallstedt and he since stole the starting job?

It sounds a bit too fantastic to be true, but looking at the other goalie getting starts he does have pretty good numbers in the SHL so maybe?

Reactions: 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Wasn't the concern going into the season that team he's on actually had one of the better goalies so Wallstedt wouldn't get enough starts? I could be fuzzy on the details but it sounded like the Wild were hoping to facilitate a trade to a new team within the SHL, but ultimately nothing happened. Then the intended starter got injured just before the season giving the reigns to Wallstedt and he since stole the starting job?

It sounds a bit too fantastic to be true, but looking at the other goalie getting starts he does have pretty good numbers in the SHL so maybe?
Yes, Lassinantti is the guy that was supposed to force Wallstedt into the back up role. Just looking at the numbers, Lassinantti has been very good for Lulea going all the way back to 14-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad