Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2020-21 - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
You'd love to see Boldy's game be somewhere in style between Mark Stone and Rantanen as a bigger forward. He's not as tough as Stone, nor as good defensively, but he is a better skater at a similar age, and might have just as good of a shot.

Both very high end comparisons...I'd be thrilled if he ends up being anything close to those two players.

Boldy might not be a fast skater, but he is a good skater.

I'm hoping that Boldy becomes like Stone; 20+ goals, 40+ assists would be great.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
The closest thing I've seen to a power forward in a Wild sweater was Latendresse the season the Wild got him. He played some great crash-bang hockey and popped in 25 goals in 55 games, at the tender age of 22.
I know some would say poutine, but it was concussions that ruined a potentially great career.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
The closest thing I've seen to a power forward in a Wild sweater was Latendresse the season the Wild got him. He played some great crash-bang hockey and popped in 25 goals in 55 games, at the tender age of 22.
I know some would say poutine, but it was concussions that ruined a potentially great career.

foligno is close to that also, albeit not the same level assist wise

Reactions: Spurgeon

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
6' was a tall man back in the 1940's. Now not so much. Of course Howe was also thick, and very strong.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
6' was a tall man back in the 1940's. Now not so much. Of course Howe was also thick, and very strong.

I'd say so.....

vintage-gordie-howe-photo-shows-off-his-amazing-physique.webp

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I was so ready to refute this, and then I went to ourworldindata.org, and adjusted the chart for human height by year showing only US and Canada (the dominant nationalities of NHL players during the time period) and averaged them. I found that between 1940-1980 the average height of men had grown by over an inch and a half. If that rate holds true, and it's a big IF (between 1870-1905 the average American man actually got shorter), it means that by 2020 the average height for men in these countries will have grown by over 3 inches. That's a crazy amount of height!

Interestingly, Hockey Graphs shows the data in inches, and it does appear to be almost 3 inches of growth in average height for NHL players from 1940 to 2014. Weirdly, their average height numbers for the general populace don't have the growth that the other site shows. Their data shows it as roughly plateaued. I'm not sure what's causing that discrepancy. Maybe they're using different data sets.

That got more detailed than I intended, so I'm just going to say "yes, you're right".

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I was so ready to refute this, and then I went to ourworldindata.org, and adjusted the chart for human height by year showing only US and Canada (the dominant nationalities of NHL players during the time period) and averaged them. I found that between 1940-1980 the average height of men had grown by over an inch and a half. If that rate holds true, and it's a big IF (between 1870-1905 the average American man actually got shorter), it means that by 2020 the average height for men in these countries will have grown by over 3 inches. That's a crazy amount of height!

Interestingly, Hockey Graphs shows the data in inches, and it does appear to be almost 3 inches of growth in average height for NHL players from 1940 to 2014. Weirdly, their average height numbers for the general populace don't have the growth that the other site shows. Their data shows it as roughly plateaued. I'm not sure what's causing that discrepancy. Maybe they're using different data sets.

That got more detailed than I intended, so I'm just going to say "yes, you're right".

When will you learn that everything I say here is correct?:naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad