Ivan Provorov (1y @ $4.7250m)
total cap = $10.1250m (open $0.8750m)
important note = Edmonton cap dumps Skinner to 3rd team after

to Columbus Blue Jackets
Jack Campbell (3y @ $5.0000m)
Mattias Ekholm (2y @ $6.0000m)
total cap = $11.0000m (add $0.8750m)
important note = Columbus trades Ekholm to playoff team after

EDIT - Also want to say: if people think the trade value is off but the trade works in terms of roster players, would be interested to hear what people would wanted added to the trade (picks/prospects) to make it work.

Edmonton reasoning:
Edmonton does NOT want to move Ekholm AT ALL, but they aren't going to be able to win a cup with their goaltending situation. Provorov is a downgrade for sure on Ekholm, but he isn't a useless bum either. Cap hit is decent, contract is only 1 year long. Merzlikins seems to have declined a little bit, and then the coaches decided to start playing other goalies. Is this a locker room thing? Merzlikins mentally checked out / wants out? Maybe Columbus fans can chime in but, from the little I've read, I'm not convinced it's only because of his play. I think he can be a good goalie elsewhere and Columbus wants to move him. It's very probable IMO that he'll be a big upgrade on Jack Campbell. Edmonton could then dump Skinner elsewhere for a 7th rounder or future considerations, and sign a cheap backup goalie to help with their cap situation. Teams that pop into my head that would maybe take Skinner for free would be Buffalo, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Winnipeg, Los Angeles.

Columbus reasoning:
It's clear that Columbus wants to move on from Merzlikins, and it doesn't seem like Provorov has come in and become a part of their long-term plans. This trade allows Columbus to move out Merzikins and let Tarasov take over. Greaves and Campbell can battle it out for the backup spot, and then once Greaves needs waivers next summer, Campbell can play in the AHL to finish his contract. Columbus obviously wouldn't think paying $5 million per year to Campbell is a good thing, especially if he's in the AHL, but they're swapping out Provorov for Ekholm here. They could maybe keep him, but I think the smarter thing to do would be to then shop Ekholm to playoff teams and get a really nice return involving young NHLers, good prospects or high picks. Basically, the new Columbus GM is moving on from guys that aren't in future plans, and also adding at least one or two GOOD young pieces into the system (Ekholm trade to 3rd team after), at the cost of bringing in a 3 year overpaid goalie who's gonna play backup and AHL, or maybe just AHL. Tarasov is unlikely to get a HUGE raise next summer, and Greaves getting a huge raise this summer isn't happening. The overall goalie budget (both actual dollars and cap) should be manageable over the next 3 years with Tarasov Greaves Campbell.

Potential trade modifications:
If this trade seems to kind of make sense but not fully work, something like Broberg could potentially be added in. Bourgault maybe but I don't think Columbus wants young wingers. Edmonton doesn't have a lot of good picks or prospects to work with. Maybe add in Kulak and one of Boqvist or Gudbranson? I don't know. These are just random ideas that popped into my head, in case the deal is close but needs tweaking.

Last edited:

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Ekholm is so important to the oilers, no way this goes well. And no amount of retention or mods are going to make this better for the win now oilers
I get that. If I was an Oilers fan, losing Ekholm in a trade like this would make me want to vomit. The current Oilers goalie situation costing the Oilers their chance at the cup would also make me vomit though.

Nurse - Bouchard
Provorov - Ceci
Kulak - (Broberg/UFA Desharnais)

Merzlikins
UFA Pickard/backup

(around 3 million extra in cap space added as well)

This looks like a downgrade, yeah. On the other hand, Campbell and Skinner and both of their contracts are gone, and they have a goalie who's good enough to win a cup with that won't sabotage their playoff run.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
If the Oilers are trading arguably their best D, it's to get a bonafide stud #1 G, not a project like Elvis.
They can't afford to fit both a stud goalie AND Jack Campbell into their cap structure without losing a top 6 forward or Nurse or Bouchard or Ekholm. They would need to dump Campbell first (which costs picks/prospects) and then conjure up non-existent additional picks and prospects with a magic wand to use to trade for a stud GK after.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
They can't afford to fit both a stud goalie AND Jack Campbell into their cap structure without losing a top 6 forward or Nurse or Bouchard or Ekholm. They would need to dump Campbell first (which costs picks/prospects) and then conjure up non-existent additional picks and prospects with a magic wand to use to trade for a stud GK after.
BUT IT IS BAD GOALIE FOR BAD GOALIE

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Depending on who are GM is next year, I could see a scenario where Edmonton, in desperation for goaltending, had interest in Merzlikins, and I could also see them having interest in Provorov. There would be no deal for Ekholm at all though, ever.

The only thing that could maybe work from Edmonton's side, is Merzlikins and Provorov for Nurse, but Nurse's NMC gets in the way of any trade that sends him out, obviously. I wouldn't expect Campbell to be included in that deal, but if Columbus wanted him they could obviously have him. I fully, 100% expect a buy out for Jack Campbell this summer.

I also can't see anyone on HF agreeing on a trade where they take back Nurse, so that's that.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
The first part is true...but how does it make sense to trade an A caliber asset defenceman in Ekholm and still have no certainty that they solved the issue in net?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The first part is true...but how does it make sense to trade an A caliber asset defenceman in Ekholm and still have no certainty that they solved the issue in net?
There is no scenario where it makes sense for the Oilers to trade Ekholm. None. He is big part of Bouchard's surgence to being a top pair D, and has just been incredible for Edmonton in every way. The Oilers, after years of inconsistency on the blueline, are not trading Ekholm for anything that would make sense for another team.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If you "get it", you wouldn't have created this thread. So, no, you don't get it.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Doesn't elvis kinda suck? This seems really bad for edmonton and I don't think it's very close. Also, ekholm is critical for edmonton. If they could only weasel their way out of that nurse contract.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Ekholm retires as an Oiler. Full stop. He is as untouchable as it gets.

Send Campbell and a haul of assets to San Jose for Blackwood if you're dumping Campbell there's no need to get Ekholm involved. I admittedly haven't watch provorov much this season so I can't comment on him.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ekholm retires as an Oiler. Full stop. He is as untouchable as it gets.

Send Campbell and a haul of assets to San Jose for Blackwood if you're dumping Campbell there's no need to get Ekholm involved. I admittedly haven't watch provorov much this season so I can't comment on him.
This is the right answer. Campbell and picks/prospects for Blackwood to play in a tandem with Skinner makes a lot more sense for Edmonton.

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
More sense than the original proposal, but I question the idea of running Blackwood and Skinner as your only options as the Oilers.
Blackwood has had ups and downs in his career due to injury, but he's also been pretty good when healthy. His numbers are reflective of playing for bad teams, but he has the tools. I'm not sure who else to pair with Skinner who could realistically be available, who would be more solid to play 40 games than Blackwood. It's not like we have a shot at getting an Ullmark or Markstrom.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB

Or another option, which is way more likely, is to just buy out Campbell. With the rising cap, that wouldn't be as big of an issue. There is 0 scenario where Ekholm is used to dump Campbell.

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
Just trade Campbell for Elvis. Balance with minor pieces, but no need to include Ekholm or Provorov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad