Post-Game Talk: GAME 31 - Mama Told Me (Not To Come to Winnipeg) - Jets 5 BRUINS 1

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I really wanted to make it to a game this season.

I used to go all the time, but it’s more challenging than ever now due to the cost, plus with little guy we can really only do a matinee.

I’d been looking at the Devils game on MLK Day, but to spend over $500 just to get in and risk seeing them lay an egg like tonight?

I’ll dump the money in Jake’s college fund instead.

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
As previous posters have said, I hope they stand pat at the deadline, unless they receive players with term that fill a void on this team now. This season has been a pleasant bonus for me, I say ride it out with the kids & hope July 1st is unreal for us. Surely there has to some free agents who would love to play alongside Pasta & McAvoy.
Hate to see Linus get moved.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, this team is f***ed. They’re softer than shit.

The Bruins will go into a slide. Quote me, too.

What are your thoughts, though? Care to elaborate?
Sheppy you are right on - soft & boring. I’m going to take a few months off watching till trade deadline except for the 15 I’m going to.

If Donny gets Hanny & Lindy from Calgary and Middleton from Minny I’ll watch a couple of away games but there are so many good Christmas movies on right now gotta pass on Winnipeg & Minnesota

I never pegged the original Willy Wonka as a Christmas movie but apparently it is. It stuck me how much alike I am to Charlie and this place the other 4 kids - so in away even though I wasn’t actually watching the Bruins get demolished in Peg I felt I was here in spirit

remer

Oct 18, 2005
It would be smart to bring players up and see how they perform in the big league. Can Merkulov, Farinacci, Lysell, Brazeau, Zboril make any kind of impact. When it comes to the deadline they should think of selling off UFA's and hopefully some of the kids can fill those roles. That way they might be able to recoup some draft picks, cap space and hopefully bring in some new talent next year.
https://theahl.com/stats/player/9108/81/georgii-merkulov

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
After sleeping on it I have come to the conclusion the problem lies in Monty’s incessant need to line juggle. There is no consistency and no flow, and its killing this team’s confidence. He needs to set lines and leave them alone for month or two. The proof of this lies in their turnover to take away ratio, and their inability to make clean, crisp passes. Absolutely zero comfort level with each other as linemates.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I really wanted to make it to a game this season.

I used to go all the time, but it’s more challenging than ever now due to the cost, plus with little guy we can really only do a matinee.

I’d been looking at the Devils game on MLK Day, but to spend over $500 just to get in and risk seeing them lay an egg like tonight?

I’ll dump the money in Jake’s college fund instead.
Good move - you should remind him as well you sacrifices seeing two of the Hughes Brothers in 2024 for college - I would do this to mine when I worked overtime.

It’s important kids understand we give up what we love for them

It would be smart to bring players up and see how they perform in the big league. Can Merkulov, Farinacci, Lysell, Brazeau, Zboril make any kind of impact. When it comes to the deadline they should think of selling off UFA's and hopefully some of the kids can fill those roles. That way they might be able to recoup some draft picks, cap space and hopefully bring in some new talent next year.
TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League
I don’t think so but the world needs to see Fabian Lysell try his 1 on 4 at the nhl level

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I think it was kind of inevitable. You can't go all in every year and trade away all your prospects and picks and hope to stay at the top. It's just not possible.

There was some bad luck along the way (eg. Nash injury) and that very bad draft, but the team has probably avoided decline longer than it should have. The question now is how far will they fall and for how long? It is still possible for just a small dip and then another rise if they make the right moves in free agency and drafts going forwards. It'll be difficult, but not impossible.

I don't think they will hit rock bottom San Jose level any time soon and probably never.
To think going into this year the Bruins would be a strong team and a Stanley cup contender was real realistic ? I think not. If the Bruins make the playoffs this year great. If not I hope they know where they stand before trade deadline. I do not think they have the trade assets to make a big impact at the deadline. They how ever have the ability to make some improvements and obtain some assets going forward.

There is a price you pay for being a strong contender for many years. It is now time to start restocking the cupboards with draft picks and smart signings. I have certainly enjoyed the competitive team, management has iced for several years and feel confident that will continue. Team toughness is an area that needs to improve for sure. The Lucic situation is not something any one could expect . Team toughness starts with a few and grows from there . A player like Chara is the perfect example of a player who can go a long ways towards changing that identity .

Any knowledgeable Bruin fan knew this year was going to have it's challenges . For the Bruins to be where they are in the standings at Christmas break is a pleasant surprise

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
To think going into this year the Bruins would be a strong team and a Stanley cup contender was real realistic ? I think not. If the Bruins make the playoffs this year great. If not I hope they know where they stand before trade deadline. I do not think they have the trade assets to make a big impact at the deadline. They how ever have the ability to make some improvements and obtain some assets going forward.

There is a price you pay for being a strong contender for many years. It is now time to start restocking the cupboards with draft picks and smart signings. I have certainly enjoyed the competitive team, management has iced for several years and feel confident that will continue. Team toughness is an area that needs to improve for sure. The Lucic situation is not something any one could expect . Team toughness starts with a few and grows from there . A player like Chara is the perfect example of a player who can go a long ways towards changing that identity .

Any knowledgeable Bruin fan knew this year was going to have it's challenges . For the Bruins to be where they are in the standings at Christmas break is a pleasant surprise
Yeah this team is way ahead of where I thought they would be. They also have the goaltending to steal a round or two. I honestly am just looking forward to the play-offs, and watching and enjoying the games, I can't get too up or down over regular season games, especially in December.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I decided to take a nap after the first period. I trust my intuition.
Psst: It's already a trend.
They've been coming back down to earth and revealing who they are for a month now.
Goaltending is no longer saving their bacon on a nightly basis or masking how poor the defense is. Why the defense has been so bad, I'm not certain. If anyone has thoughts on that, please post.

They can't score, and Jake's inability to light the lamp is hurting big time. You can't rely on two guys (David and Brad) to carry your offense for 82 games.

Montgomery has also repeatedly shortened the bench and pressed his best players into heavy and exhausting minutes. Along with overreliance on superb goaltending, this too is, ah, not a long-term solution.

It's December, which is both good and bad. It's early enough to correct several issues, but troubling that they've sprung up as early as they have.

As some posters of sanguine disposition suggest, it is perhaps best to sit back, relax, and make peace with a transitional season.

That's fine, and if they continue to be a mess on several fronts, this will encourage further call ups from PRO and TDL additions/subtractions.

I have never been sold on Montgomery, and though Don Sweeney has been an exemplary GM in many respects, I wish the reigns were in other hands. Whose, I don't know. But Sweeney and his vision of what constitutes winning hockey has not worked for eight seasons, and imho, will not work going forward.

So sit back, relax, and enjoy your Boston Bruins, 2024.
Pass the eggnog, and don't skimp on the Sailor Jerry. :x)::snow::xtree:

I would say the biggest factor is the subpar performances of McAvoy and Lindholm. Maybe they are playing hurt. They certainly are not playing well.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Going to see what they look like March 1

I’m expecting I’ll log in here and find out Donny Magic happened again

Reactions: lopey

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
I would say the biggest factor is the subpar performances of McAvoy and Lindholm. Maybe they are playing hurt. They certainly are not playing well.
Mcvoy is not good at handling the puck in offensive zone. He id not a good pp quarterback. Not sure if he ever will become offensive. At9.5m a year we are over paying him. I hope im wrong but this is season what 7?

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
The Jets played a great game with a lot of speed and aggression. It's impressive that they were able to do it without one of their key players - Kyle Connor. Our team doesn't have the offensive firepower to match that up-tempo style this season. We need some secondary scoring to take the pressure off of Pasta, who often gets double-teamed and shut down.

Our defence isn't contributing much offensively, which is a problem. Mac is our top guy and he's tied for 29th in the league, with Shattenkirk at 99 and Carlo at 117, much further down the list.

I think it's a good idea to focus on physical players and depth scoring in the off-season, rather than trying to make a desperate push now. We've had a good start to the year, but it's important to be realistic and plan for the future. Investing our cap space wisely and retooling for next year is the way to go.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
After sleeping on it I have come to the conclusion the problem lies in Monty’s incessant need to line juggle. There is no consistency and no flow, and its killing this team’s confidence. He needs to set lines and leave them alone for month or two. The proof of this lies in their turnover to take away ratio, and their inability to make clean, crisp passes. Absolutely zero comfort level with each other as linemates.
Yup

Life is about pairs - who who doesn’t like a good pair

My pairs

Coyle - Frederic
Zacha - Pastrnak
Marchand - DeBrusk

Zacha can play wing or center - he was strong on the wing last season with Krejci centering but did well without Also

Geekie
Poiteas
Heinen
Jvr

Move around

You nailed it

Reactions: BMC

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Monty does need to keep lines the same for a good stint. But lets not kid ourselves some players are not performing no matter where they are slotted in line up. Proving you belong on a certain line will lead to staying there.

When ur in the middle of a game and players aren’t producing whsts Monty supposed to do. We used to roast Clode for his stubbornness not to change lines.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
The Bruins right now are like a dog with no teeth, they bark, but there is no bite and no one fears them, if Sweeney and Co. keep going with a soft team, they are going no where. To be a softer team that wins, you need elite goal-tending and highly skilled players who can score a lot, we have the former, but the latter we have one guy that can do that and that's about it.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Our 2 goalies are the team's identity right now but there is only so much they can do.

The dicey part is the only way they can improve the offense is to trade one of the goalies and that would most likely be Ullmark. Carolina needs a goalie, Toronto is desperate for a goalie.

No need to make a panic move as the trade deadline is still 76 days away.

View attachment 789174
I understand trading Ullmark, but if he ends up in Toronto I would barf.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Yea team 1st in Atlantic let's blow it up. Makes sense. Buy buy.

People are just worried because they’ve technically lost 5 out of their last 7 games. Fortunately they’ve managed to get points in a handful of those losses because they were OT losses.

However come playoff time those overtime losses are just losses and people are starting to get worried.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Monty does need to keep lines the same for a good stint. But lets not kid ourselves some players are not performing no matter where they are slotted in line up. Proving you belong on a certain line will lead to staying there.

When ur in the middle of a game and players aren’t producing whsts Monty supposed to do. We used to roast Clode for his stubbornness not to change lines.

This is a great point right here.

For Monty to keep players on a line together, a combination actually has to prove they are worthy of staying together.

The team is struggling to score and find good combinations. Some factors at least lately are zachas injury, poitras leaving and players being snake bitten.

It’s tough for Monty to keep consistent lines when 4 out of the last 7 games the bruins have scored only 1 goal.

Last edited:

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
People are just worried because they’ve technically lost 5 out of their last 7 games. Fortunately they’ve managed to get points in a handful of those losses because they were OT losses.

However come playoff time those overtime losses are just losses and people are starting to get worried.
Understandable. They have not been good last 10. Inconsistent effort. Lack of goals is worrisome. This is the grind of 82 games. Get points anyway you can. Ill be more concerned come march if they are still this same roster. I think we may see a trade soon. Need some life offensively

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad