Post-Game Talk: GAME 31 - Mama Told Me (Not To Come to Winnipeg) - Jets 5 BRUINS 1

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
What is the identity of the 2023/2024 Boston Bruins?

Cause I honestly don't know, and I don't think they know either.

Our 2 goalies are the team's identity right now but there is only so much they can do.

The dicey part is the only way they can improve the offense is to trade one of the goalies and that would most likely be Ullmark. Carolina needs a goalie, Toronto is desperate for a goalie.

No need to make a panic move as the trade deadline is still 76 days away.

1703313118373.png

Bleed Black and Gold

Dec 16, 2018
Sigh….
So I’ve been a hockey fan for over 40 years, and for all of them I have been a diehard Bruins fan. Like many here, I don’t live in Boston, and never have, but for one reason or another (mine was Ray Bourque), we fell in love with this team.
Regrettably, I was at the game, and all I can say is that tonight the Boston Bruins broke me a little bit.
Other than Swayman, this team collectively decided to mail It in. Right from the drop of the puck it was clear that they wanted no part of this hockey game. They put in about 5 minutes at the start of the second, but I think that was more due to the mentality that, well we’re here and changed, might as well go for a skate, than actual pushback.
I’m a sth in Winnipeg and they are playing really well right now, but they are not the 84-85 Oilers which the Bruins made them look like tonight. Listen, it’s not that I’m angry Boston Bruins, I’m just very disappointed in you…

Have a good night folks and see all you masochists tomorrow in Minny.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Our 2 goalies are the team's identity right now but there is only so much they can do.

The dicey part is the only way they can improve the offense is to trade one of the goalies and that would most likely be Ullmark. Carolina needs a goalie, Toronto is desperate for a goalie.

No need to make a panic move as the trade deadline is still 76 days away.

View attachment 789174

Sheldon:

Two goalies, however good, do not constitute a team identity.

Ullmark will be traded when the value coming back is sufficient, which was not the case last summer. I rather doubt the Bruins will deal him to TO, or even Carolina.

PS Loved your work on The Dick Van Dyke Show.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Is the longest we've gone without a goalie hug, since it started?

There will be ups and downs throughout a season; but this downturn would would be more palatable had they banked some of the lost OT points, or closed out other games in regulation.

The late-period goals have got to be at least partly mental at this point; and despite the players' reluctance to admit this, they do change the vibe both on the ice and in the building.

At this stage, they should just play prevent-defense when a period is winding down. The Jets were clearly the better team, but starting the second period 0-0 could've sparked them.​

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
If you havent seen a decline in Marchands game you must not be watching close enough. Still a great player but the game he plays the quick cuts and stop/starts are not as powerful as they once were probably with the combo of age and surgeries. The separation he used to get has dwindled which means players are breaking up his plays more frequently. Its one of the reasons I think they have no chance in the playoffs. I really dont think his body is going to hold up to the assualt of another playoff run.
I have to agree. The effort and heart is there, but the slight decline is as well. In a league where every 100th of a second matters…: Like you said, still a great player, but slightly less than prime, and more likely to slow even more over the next period of time.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sigh….
So I’ve been a hockey fan for over 40 years, and for all of them I have been a diehard Bruins fan. Like many here, I don’t live in Boston, and never have, but for one reason or another (mine was Ray Bourque), we fell in love with this team.
Regrettably, I was at the game, and all I can say is that tonight the Boston Bruins broke me a little bit.
Other than Swayman, this team collectively decided to mail It in. Right from the drop of the puck it was clear that they wanted no part of this hockey game. They put in about 5 minutes at the start of the second, but I think that was more due to the mentality that, well we’re here and changed, might as well go for a skate, than actual pushback.
I’m a sth in Winnipeg and they are playing really well right now, but they are not the 84-85 Oilers which the Bruins made them look like tonight. Listen, it’s not that I’m angry Boston Bruins, I’m just very disappointed in you…

@Bleed Black and Gold

Just keep believing :)

I can't explain why the team looked so flat tonight but :banghead:

I have enjoyed my previous trips to Winnipeg and was thrilled when they got a second chance at a team in 2011. I hope Quebec City gets another shot as well but the reality is the Habs will never allow that to happen.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
That ":very bad draft" was not bad luck. As we now know it was bad judgement. But that's been identified and discussed ad nauseam.
You didn't read me right. I said there was bad luck AND a bad draft. The luck was things like Nash getting injured and not being the playoff winger we traded for. Key moments like that likely cost us a cup or three and were a waste of the trade capital we used at the time.

Bad decisions too. Easy to see in hindsight. Maybe last year instead of trading for Orlov and Bertuzzi and Hathaway maybe if we'd added more muscle instead, but who knew. Mistakes were made.

Eye opener game. Their record is still good but it seems like they aren't fast enough, skilled enough, or physical enough to really contend. That's fine, they weren't expected to this year anyways.

I just hope they don't buy at the deadline and embrace the bridge - nothing wrong with that!
They weren't fast enough or physical enough (maybe skilled enough) last year either.

Reactions: Gordoff

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Sigh….

Alas this is the challenge of an 82-game season. The team simply isn't going to get up and give their best, or even close to it, every night. It's not possible, or even sensible. But some fans only get to one game a year, or every 5 years, or even 10 years. Or maybe it's their first game ever. It costs time and money to attend. It's an emotional investment too. So when you get a game like this one where your team lays an egg, it sucks. Feel for you buddy. If for the most part it's excusable when teams put in bad performances (as long as it's not too often), especially on the road, it's still disappointing, and really it's fair to hope for at least some sort of effort and fight even on a poor night.

Here's hoping the next one you get to, whenever that is, is much better.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Alas this is the challenge of an 82-game season. The team simply isn't going to get up and give their best, or even close to it, every night. It's not possible, or even sensible. But some fans only get to one game a year, or every 5 years, or even 10 years. Or maybe it's their first game ever. It costs time and money to attend. It's an emotional investment too. So when you get a game like this one where your team lays an egg, it sucks. Feel for you buddy. If for the most part it's excusable when teams put in bad performances (as long as it's not too often), especially on the road, it's still disappointing, and really it's fair to hope for at least some sort of effort and fight even on a poor night.

Here's hoping the next one you get to, whenever that is, is much better.
Upon his retirement, the always-controversial Sean Avery basically fessed up that some nights NHL players mail it in, especially on the road.

Many of the issues plaguing the B's weren't unique to the Winnipeg game, so let's hope it lights a fire under them tonight.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
@Bleed Black and Gold

Just keep believing :)

I can't explain why the team looked so flat tonight but :banghead:

I have enjoyed my previous trips to Winnipeg and was thrilled when they got a second chance at a team in 2011. I hope Quebec City gets another shot as well but the reality is the Habs will never allow that to happen.
I can. They are slow, untalented, and not terribly well-coached. (debatable) They have 3.5 Talented players: Pasta.................................................

Marchand (most nights)
Charlie Mc
Zacha counts for the .5

Reactions: Gordoff

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Upon his retirement, the always-controversial Sean Avery basically fessed up that some nights NHL players mail it in, especially on the road.

Many of the issues plaguing the B's weren't unique to the Winnipeg game, so let's hope it lights a fire under them tonight.

No doubt about it. Last night was what it looked like when some familiar problems come to haunt the Bruins AND they're flat AND their opponent has the offensive ability to punish them for it. Not pretty.

At least they can't kid themselves this time that they were close despite getting the 'L'. As you say, hopefully it sparks something.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I only watched the first period, now I'm glad. I hope we see a more motivated team tonight. Please be entertaining at the very least.

I'm going back to read over @NeelyDan 's five for Friday replies instead of this whole thread, too much deja vu here.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Nobody is babying. Nobody is making excuses. Nobody.

Just responding to a poster. The 1st time time they put Jake on Zachas line was early on in the season in San Jose. And we still don't have any set lines. It's mindblowing to me.

Clearly they gotta figure shit out. But if you're constantly flipping and switching lines for everyone minus the 4th line, I don't see how that benefits anyone.

Marchand had NO shots on goal this game.
So, Brad is the problem? :laugh: Good lord.....

Some good news - the charter cleared US Customs in record time and the team is on the ground in Minnesota

YOU need to get some sleep

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Glad I missed this - taped it but no need to watch

At this point my focus is Patriots losing and Red Sox getting players

I’m going to most of home games so that should keep me into loop - but those who say you are wasting your time watching unless they win the Cup are on to something

World Junior today and Christmas stuff probably skipping tonight as well / if they win the Cup I’ll watch tonight’s game next June

Thank you Uncle Rico for saving me time and aggravation

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Lohrei, van Riemsdyk, and Carlo are the only three Bruins who didn't show up to this pillow fight with a balloon. where's the angry threat against those daring to enter our zone? pathetic.
What happened ? Did they play well?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad