Post-Game Talk: GAME 31 - Mama Told Me (Not To Come to Winnipeg) - Jets 5 BRUINS 1

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Jake has 3 goals not much working anywhere
The 1st time he put Jake on Zacha's line was the 1st game vs the Sharks earlier in the season, in San Jose. I wont forget it because they showed Jumbo Joe on the broadcast and he looked crazy. Jake on the otherhand, looked great. They had chemistry. Missed out on a few goals and assists.

Then the next game he wasn't on the line and Monty continued to flip and switch the lines

1/3 into the season and far removed from that 1st meeting in San Jose, we still don't have set lines.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
The 1st time he put Jake on Zacha's line was the 1st game vs the Sharks earlier in the season, in San Jose. I wont forget it because they showed Jumbo Joe on the broadcast and he looked crazy. Jake on the otherhand, looked great. They had chemistry. Missed out on a few goals and assists.

Then the next game he wasn't on the line and Monty continued to flip and switch the lines

1/3 into the season and far removed from that 1st meeting in San Jose, we still don't have set lines.
how much babying do we have to do with Jake before he starts producing? If he needs to only play with the best players on the ice to produce thats just showing his deficient game he plays. If he expects a payday he cant rely on others to pad his stats for him.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
how much babying do we have to do with Jake before he starts producing? If he needs to only play with the best players on the ice to produce thats just showing his deficient game he plays. If he expects a payday he cant rely on others to pad his stats for him.
Nobody is babying. Nobody is making excuses. Nobody.

Just responding to a poster. The 1st time time they put Jake on Zachas line was early on in the season in San Jose. And we still don't have any set lines. It's mindblowing to me.

Clearly they gotta figure shit out. But if you're constantly flipping and switching lines for everyone minus the 4th line, I don't see how that benefits anyone.

Marchand had NO shots on goal this game.

I can't even fathom that.

Reactions: Gordoff

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Yea team 1st in Atlantic let's blow it up. Makes sense. Buy buy.
They dont have any capital for it. Dont let the hot start fool you. This is a transition year, no selling picks. They need to start building a bigger prospect pool. The success of this year is if Potrias and Lohrei becomes core players. That to me would be just as good as a cup (as this team has no chance) as it will set them up next season with good cap space, and some cost controlled young players.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Buy with what? They may be in first, but this team is fundamentally flawed, they are undersized, slow, lack depth scoring, very soft, and the defense is crap outside of Mac. They have 1.5 goal scorers , 1 great defenseman, and 2 great goalies . They don’t have enough capital to fill all those holes. It’s time they restock the cupboards a bit.
Get a Monahan type on the cheap these type of deals are more effective then blowing your bank accounts like bertuzzi and orlov. Jvr shatty geekie have been great el cheapo additions. Keep at this formula and you never know.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Nobody is babying. Nobody is making excuses. Nobody.

Just responding to a poster. The 1st time time they put Jake on Zachas line was early on in the season in San Jose. And we still don't have any set lines. It's mindblowing to me.

Clearly they gotta figure shit out. But if you're constantly flipping and switching lines for everyone minus the 4th line, I don't see how that benefits anyone.

Marchand had NO shots on goal this game.

I can't even fathom that.
If you havent seen a decline in Marchands game you must not be watching close enough. Still a great player but the game he plays the quick cuts and stop/starts are not as powerful as they once were probably with the combo of age and surgeries. The separation he used to get has dwindled which means players are breaking up his plays more frequently. Its one of the reasons I think they have no chance in the playoffs. I really dont think his body is going to hold up to the assualt of another playoff run.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
If you havent seen a decline in Marchands game you must not be watching close enough. Still a great player but the game he plays the quick cuts and stop/starts are not as powerful as they once were probably with the combo of age and surgeries. The separation he used to get has dwindled which means players are breaking up his plays more frequently. Its one of the reasons I think they have no chance in the playoffs. I really dont think his body is going to hold up to the assualt of another playoff run.
Fair enough. I've seen ups and downs from Marchy this season but mostly ups. I think Monty needs to lighten the load on him. He's wearing him out too much, imo

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
So maybe the emperor has no clothes after all. Maybe that decline predicted by some just took a little while to kick in. Maybe they were never as good as we thought they were.

I'd say it was a one off stinker before the holidays but this has been a trend and the same issues keep coming up so they are real. Like it or not, the D is exposed. Lindholm is as bad as he was in the playoffs. McAvoy is clearly playing with a bum shoulder and can't take a hit any more. Lohrei ain't that good yet and Wotherspoon never was. This D folds under pressure. Winnipeg owned the front of the net all night. Shades of last year's playoffs and the same reason they keep giving up late goals in other games. It's a fatal flaw.

Offensively challenged to say the least. The 4th line is a good 4th line, but the rest of them didn't measure up tonight and DeBrusk is just a big bag of nothing now. Something definitely wrong there. Guess he wants out. But really, nobody on this team can score (except Pasta and Marchand on some nights but not tonight)

I think the decline will be slow, but I do not like the way this is trending.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
That was sad. Body language was telling about half way through this game. Nobody was ever in it, including the goaltender. Can’t clear the zone. Can’t clear the front of the net. Can’t fight back. Just can’t get out of their own way. Same shit different night.

Response? It’s been weeks of this trash. The response is already overdue. Somebody gotta take control here cuz Bergeron isn’t around to do it.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Listened to this one on radio. Felt like the puck spent a huge amount of time in the Bruins' end, and when they did manage to go forwards Sirott had very little to get excited about before Boston coughed up the puck and it went back the other way. Couldn't clear and couldn't generate any sustained offense. The shot count, stats and the views here all seem to confirm that impression.

Winnipeg are a very good team who are running pretty hot and seem to have taken a step up in their performance this year, especially defensively. So no shame to lose to them, but to get so badly rolled obviously isn't good. At the same time this is the first game in which the Bruins have been completely beaten and not in the contest at all since the miserable performance in Columbus in late November. In that sense, in a tough, parity league, it's not so bad.

The problem is probably more that during that time they've had some decent performances, but very few really good ones. Their form is varying from passable to poor. The highs we saw earlier in the season have mostly gone missing. For me it always comes back to this being an ok roster, no more, no less. Play well and they can take it to anybody, but be a bit flat or out of sorts and they'll become vulnerable very quickly, even if their A grade goaltending will often keep them in it longer than they otherwise might.

Monty's got some thinking and work to do to try and spark some more life and offensive capability back into this team, but there are probably no quick fixes at this point. Nothing for it for now but they dust themselves off, roll into Saint Paul and try to do better before the little Christmas break.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
So maybe the emperor has no clothes after all. Maybe that decline predicted by some just took a little while to kick in. Maybe they were never as good as we thought they were.

I'd say it was a one off stinker before the holidays but this has been a trend and the same issues keep coming up so they are real. Like it or not, the D is exposed. Lindholm is as bad as he was in the playoffs. McAvoy is clearly playing with a bum shoulder and can't take a hit any more. Lohrei ain't that good yet and Wotherspoon never was. This D folds under pressure. Winnipeg owned the front of the net all night. Shades of last year's playoffs and the same reason they keep giving up late goals in other games. It's a fatal flaw.

Offensively challenged to say the least. The 4th line is a good 4th line, but the rest of them didn't measure up tonight and DeBrusk is just a big bag of nothing now. Something definitely wrong there. Guess he wants out. But really, nobody on this team can score (except Pasta and Marchand on some nights but not tonight)

I think the decline will be slow, but I do not like the way this is trending.
So whom do we blame for this decline? The GM who put the team together? Or the guy he hired to bring a softer, warmer approach to the clubhouse?

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
So whom do we blame for this decline? The GM who put the team together? Or the guy he hired to bring a softer, warmer approach to the clubhouse?
I think it was kind of inevitable. You can't go all in every year and trade away all your prospects and picks and hope to stay at the top. It's just not possible.

There was some bad luck along the way (eg. Nash injury) and that very bad draft, but the team has probably avoided decline longer than it should have. The question now is how far will they fall and for how long? It is still possible for just a small dip and then another rise if they make the right moves in free agency and drafts going forwards. It'll be difficult, but not impossible.

I don't think they will hit rock bottom San Jose level any time soon and probably never.

Reactions: bme44

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I think it was kind of inevitable. You can't go all in every year and trade away all your prospects and picks and hope to stay at the top. It's just not possible.

There was some bad luck along the way (eg. Nash injury) and that very bad draft, but the team has probably avoided decline longer than it should have. The question now is how far will they fall and for how long? It is still possible for just a small dip and then another rise if they make the right moves in free agency and drafts going forwards. It'll be difficult, but not impossible.

I don't think they will hit rock bottom San Jose level any time soon and probably

That ":very bad draft" was not bad luck. As we now know it was bad judgement. But that's been identified and discussed ad nauseam.

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015

I think the only line we haven't seen is Steen Spooner Pastrnak but who knows I might have blinked and missed it

• Haha
Reactions: Mione134

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
Eye opener game. Their record is still good but it seems like they aren't fast enough, skilled enough, or physical enough to really contend. That's fine, they weren't expected to this year anyways.

I just hope they don't buy at the deadline and embrace the bridge - nothing wrong with that!

Bleed Black and Gold

Dec 16, 2018
Sigh….
So I’ve been a hockey fan for over 40 years, and for all of them I have been a diehard Bruins fan. Like many here, I don’t live in Boston, and never have, but for one reason or another (mine was Ray Bourque), we fell in love with this team.
Regrettably, I was at the game, and all I can say is that tonight the Boston Bruins broke me a little bit.
Other than the goalie, this team collectively decided to mail It in. Right from the drop of the puck it was clear that they wanted no part of this hockey game. They put in about 5 minutes at the start of the second, but I think that was more due to the mentality that, well we’re here and changed, might as well go for a skate, than actual pushback.
I’m a sth in Winnipeg and they are playing really well right now, but they are not the 84-85 Oilers, which the Bruins made them look like tonight.
It’s not that I’m angry Boston Bruins, I’m just very disappointed in you….

Have a good night and see all you other Bruins loving masochists tomorrow in Minny!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Glad I made the right call turning this one off after the second. Did the Bruins even get a single scoring chance?

I decided to take a nap after the first period.

I trust my intuition.
It's a non conference game in Winterpeg b4 Xmas, so not gonna fly into them but hopefully it does not become a trend cause some signs are there.:grinch:

Psst: It's already a trend.

They've been coming back down to earth and revealing who they are for a month now.

Goaltending is no longer saving their bacon on a nightly basis or masking how poor the defense is. Why the defense has been so bad, I'm not certain. If anyone has thoughts on that, please post.

They can't score, and Jake's inability to light the lamp is hurting big time. You can't rely on two guys (David and Brad) to carry your offense for 82 games.

Montgomery has also repeatedly shortened the bench and pressed his best players into heavy and exhausting minutes. Along with overreliance on superb goaltending, this too is, ah, not a long-term solution.

It's December, which is both good and bad. It's early enough to correct several issues, but troubling that they've sprung up as early as they have.

As some posters of sanguine disposition suggest, it is perhaps best to sit back, relax, and make peace with a transitional season.

That's fine, and if they continue to be a mess on several fronts, this will encourage further call ups from PRO and TDL additions/subtractions.

I have never been sold on Montgomery, and though Don Sweeney has been an exemplary GM in many respects, I wish the reigns were in other hands. Whose, I don't know. But Sweeney and his vision of what constitutes winning hockey has not worked for eight seasons, and imho, will not work going forward.

So sit back, relax, and enjoy your Boston Bruins, 2024.
Pass the eggnog, and don't skimp on the Sailor Jerry. :x)::snow::xtree:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad