Post-Game Talk: GAME 31 - Mama Told Me (Not To Come to Winnipeg) - Jets 5 BRUINS 1

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017

The identity is easy. They are a structured possession team. Any team that plays a similar style or wildly offensive (like Leafs) they have a good chance to beat.

The struggle becomes against aggressive forecheck teams (that have some talent) that pull the structure apart. They don’t have enough instinctual hockey to overcome that which leads to turnovers allowing these teams skilled players room to operate causing them fits.

That aggressive forecheck game will wane up and down in a regular season because it’s hard to play that way 82 games a season. These style type teams will benefit in playoff hockey. It’s the exact opposite for teams that play the bruins style. That’s why teams like Florida scare me ore than a team like the Leafs when it comes to the playoffs

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Good move - you should remind him as well you sacrifices seeing two of the Hughes Brothers in 2024 for college - I would do this to mine when I worked overtime.

It’s important kids understand we give up what we love for them

I don’t think so but the world needs to see Fabian Lysell try his 1 on 4 at the nhl level

This reminds me of an episode of Fraiser. He accuses his female boss of using sex to get what she wanted from. She says men do the same. Frasier responds, "How can we use sex to get what we want. Sex is what we want".

How can we give up what we love for our kids. They are what we love.

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
If being on a "heater" is even possible in the Icebox known as Winnipeg, the Jets currently fit the description. "Gerry" Faust said at one point that everything was going the 'Pegs way. It was because they were skating. Every pass was clicking, every loose puck was won and every Bruin was smothered because of it. Winning hockey is not a reactionary game. The goalies can only defend like it's the Alamo for so long. Tonight will be a test of how they react to being overrun. Either skate or get run over like Grandma did by a reindeer.

1703338990621.png

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
What is the identity of the 2023/2024 Boston Bruins?

Cause I honestly don't know, and I don't think they know either.
Every man for himself. Don't engage physically, don't piss off the other team. Try to lull them to sleep, and hope they don't engage. Play rope-a-dope with a lead and hope that they can slip by with a point or two. It's all about the points dontcha know!

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
I was wrapping some presents for the kid and better half while watching the game last night ....my hands went all magical synchronous with Monty's line juggling and I ended up with all my presents looking like a holiday version of frankenstein ...in the first two periods each present had 6 different combos of wrapping paper then in the third it went down to two different types of wrapping paper and the other 4 were stapled to the couch ...and yes the wrapping paper was extra soft ..bottom line...Monty ruined Christmas

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Watching the Providence Bruins and the NHL Bruins is pretty much the same, No structure no toughness low on skill , poor coaching and horrific defense .If this keeps up hopefully Monty won't be around much longer, and he can take Kelly with him please.

Reactions: BBruins and Gordoff

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Sigh….
So I’ve been a hockey fan for over 40 years, and for all of them I have been a diehard Bruins fan. Like many here, I don’t live in Boston, and never have, but for one reason or another (mine was Ray Bourque), we fell in love with this team.
Regrettably, I was at the game, and all I can say is that tonight the Boston Bruins broke me a little bit.
Other than the goalie, this team collectively decided to mail It in. Right from the drop of the puck it was clear that they wanted no part of this hockey game. They put in about 5 minutes at the start of the second, but I think that was more due to the mentality that, well we’re here and changed, might as well go for a skate, than actual pushback.
I’m a sth in Winnipeg and they are playing really well right now, but they are not the 84-85 Oilers, which the Bruins made them look like tonight.
It’s not that I’m angry Boston Bruins, I’m just very disappointed in you….

Have a good night and see all you other Bruins loving masochists tomorrow in Minny!
They broke me in 2019 and then again last year, and I’m yet to fully recover. I still watch and care, but I won’t truly care until they’ve rebuilt. Or they win The Cup this year!

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The identity is easy. They are a structured possession team. Any team that plays a similar style or wildly offensive (like Leafs) they have a good chance to beat.

The struggle becomes against aggressive forecheck teams (that have some talent) that pull the structure apart. They don’t have enough instinctual hockey to overcome that which leads to turnovers allowing these teams skilled players room to operate causing them fits.

That aggressive forecheck game will wane up and down in a regular season because it’s hard to play that way 82 games a season. These style type teams will benefit in playoff hockey. It’s the exact opposite for teams that play the bruins style. That’s why teams like Florida scare me ore than a team like the Leafs when it comes to the playoffs
Conventional warfare vs. guerilla warfare.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
This reminds me of an episode of Fraiser. He accuses his female boss of using sex to get what she wanted from. She says men do the same. Frasier responds, "How can we use sex to get what we want. Sex is what we want".

How can we give up what we love for our kids. They are what we love.

Sex

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
The more I look at Sweeney’s teams the more I’m convinced he’s trying to build a roster full of Don Sweeney’s . I think 8 years is about the life expectancy of an unsuccessful gm . Give them credit for the success they’ve had but this tune has gotten old. Think it’s time for new blood, and a new approach. Need a gm that can blend size/toughness players with undersized skilled guys into one roster, Sweeney sadly cannot.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)

^ This.
Which also means that the teams that give the Bruins fits are the type of teams that we’d all prefer that the Bruins be.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Hope Monty gets a big barrel of White's Horse Liniment for Christmas to pour in the players jocks before each game in the second half. Something that burns when you go into neutral. Winnipeg is a dismal depressing place in the winter and the Bruins just made the Peg fans feel like they live in Florida.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Watching the Providence Bruins and the NHL Bruins is pretty much the same, No structure no toughness low on skill , poor coaching and horrific defense .If this keeps up hopefully Monty won't be around much longer, and he can take Kelly with him please.

Shouldn't they be in last place?

^ This.
Which also means that the teams that give the Bruins fits are the type of teams that we’d all prefer that the Bruins be.

Better at hockey?

Reactions: lopey

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Shouldn't they be in last place?

Honestly, watching them sometimes I am surprised they aren't in the bottom of third of the league. They are not nearly as bad as the Sharks, true. But the sloppy, disorganized play is really something I did not expect to see out of this team after years of Claude and Butch. Getting the puck out of their own zone is an adventure far too often than it should be. The passing is just not clean and sharp most of the time, communication between players seems off. That they have the record they do is down to having Pasta and two of the best goalies in the league. Without them, it feels like a sub-.500 team.

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
Lindholm is quite the disappointment for me this year. He‘s not the same since his foot injury.
I know there are the obvious whipping boys on this team (Gryz, Freddy, JDB) but for me Lindholm is the one player who is consistently playing horrid. I certainly hope its injury related because his game has fallen off a cliff.

Reactions: Gordoff

nonoffensiveusername

May 23, 2009
Monty does need to keep lines the same for a good stint. But lets not kid ourselves some players are not performing no matter where they are slotted in line up. Proving you belong on a certain line will lead to staying there.

When ur in the middle of a game and players aren’t producing whsts Monty supposed to do. We used to roast Clode for his stubbornness not to change lines.

I think you can strike a balance. Clode was too stubborn sometimes. But Monty is way on the other end. Neither is good. Two of the biggest factors in taking a huge dump in the playoffs last year were Monty's fault: sticking with one (injured) goalie, and changing the defensive pairs. We had an amazing D last year, and at the most important moment of the season he decided to blow it up.

Reactions: Gordoff and lopey

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
Honestly, watching them sometimes I am surprised they aren't in the bottom of third of the league. They are not nearly as bad as the Sharks, true. But the sloppy, disorganized play is really something I did not expect to see out of this team after years of Claude and Butch. Getting the puck out of their own zone is an adventure far too often than it should be. The passing is just not clean and sharp most of the time, communication between players seems off. That they have the record they do is down to having Pasta and two of the best goalies in the league. Without them, it feels like a sub-.500 team.
They rely entirely too much on the chip up the boards or short pass. So many times the player in Dzone has room to skate with the puck buy they treat it like a live hand grenade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad