Do you want to win the lottery?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
To be honest, I personally appreciate his position on this. I don't agree with it yet, but I do appreciate it. :D

Appreciated the exchange as well. You always have well thought out posts.

My purpose was not to "dominate" a thread it was to answer questions that were being asked. At least a dozen posters asked "how could anybody vote no"?

So I helped fill that vacuum with some potential answers as others have also done.

That said in offseason theres only usually one to two threads going and its interesting topic to talk about.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I do, just for the sake of watching the melt down on this forum and form Eastern media.

I don't, or maybe more accurately I don't care, in the sense that the way to fix this team is no longer through drafting an 18 year old. Chiarelli needs to do his work elsewhere. Matthews, wont be, or at least shouldn't be what this team needs to build itself into a successful one. And that is in regards to him as a player, or him as an asset (although I don't think for a moment he'd get traded).

Time for Chiarelli to earn his stripes without relying on top picks. Our previous management failed miserably at that. Chiarelli needs to be better.

tikkanen

Jan 1, 2016
red deer
I hope we win it and trade it to Arizona who covet Mathews(an Arizona boy) and we get stone-a big decent all round defensemen who is a 2-3 right handed 25 year old and 2 first round picks and we draft laine or pujalarvi who may go a bit later but for my money is what we need-a big and skilled strong forward with a great shot and lots of sandpaper, hockey sense and speed. We are then able to move eberle or nuge and one of the picks for Hamonic. That would be a homerun for this franchise. If we don't get first then we keep it and draft laine and we still move eberle and something else for hamonic. If we make those moves we compete for the playoffs next year.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I do, just for the sake of watching the melt down on this forum and form Eastern media.

I don't, or maybe more accurately I don't care, in the sense that the way to fix this team is no longer through drafting an 18 year old. Chiarelli needs to do his work elsewhere. Matthews, wont be, or at least shouldn't be what this team needs to build itself into a successful one. And that is in regards to him as a player, or him as an asset (although I don't think for a moment he'd get traded).

Time for Chiarelli to earn his stripes without relying on top picks. Our previous management failed miserably at that. Chiarelli needs to be better.

we could also draft a player from one of the three lotteries if we win, keep that player, but fix our teams with other trades and signings. That's an option we must be comfortable with because there's always a chance that we don't get the trade return we want.

There's also the expansion draft coming. A player we draft now is exempt from it, so it's like a free protection spot.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I'm saying that each time we pick a #1 it devalues the worth and reliance on the players we already have. Which is not serving benefit to either those players or the team.

Question.

Would Nuge be better on another team where he wasn't in the shadow of McDavid?

Would Yakupov be better on another team where he was the only #1 pick on a team that actually viewed that as a potentially valuable commodity?

We have absolutely no idea. If Nugent-Hopkins isn't living up to your expectations, I sincerely doubt it's because of McDavid's shadow. It sounds like you think Aaron Ekblad would have just been another tire on the fire had we won him, and that would somehow "devalue" him because there are other first overall picks on the team.

I'm not sure why it would matter what other teams think of the Oilers, and I really doubt Chiarelli cares if people think his new team is an embarrassment. What matters is what happens on the ice, and winning the lottery gives the team a lot of options to improve that part.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I hope we win it and trade it to Arizona who covet Mathews(an Arizona boy) and we get stone-a big decent all round defensemen who is a 2-3 right handed 25 year old and 2 first round picks and we draft laine or pujalarvi who may go a bit later but for my money is what we need-a big and skilled strong forward with a great shot and lots of sandpaper, hockey sense and speed. We are then able to move eberle or nuge and one of the picks for Hamonic. That would be a homerun for this franchise. If we don't get first then we keep it and draft laine and we still move eberle and something else for hamonic. If we make those moves we compete for the playoffs next year.
I actually don't mind that idea if we have all three of Sergechev, Juolevi, and Chychrun ranked fairly close.

I think we need more value for a first overall pick but something based around Stone/Murphy, their first rounder, and more could have potential - we could likely include a contract like Fayne in the deal too.

I'm a fan of both Murphy and Stone though - they could both step in and be valuable adds assuming we use our other assets to get a legit top pairing guy.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Matthews is a damn good prospect
Laine fits McDavid like a glove
Chychrun IMO is one of the better D prospects to come along in the last 5-10 years.

Doesn't matter to me either way we're getting a damn good player

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Absolutely win the lottery, and they will, and trade that pick alone or in a package (Ebs, yak, and to a lesser extent nuge need to go) for what we need. 1st holds more value than anything else and even if other GMs try to "fleece" us in a trade, there will be some who will really want Matthews and the potential to improve their own team will outweigh trying to "fleece" ours.

Anything that gives us better potential to improve this **** show of a team, is better for us.

Gretzkyforever99

Dec 28, 2014
Great White North
Best trading chip to deal so I voted yes, if the Blues, Nashville, Sharks or even Anaheim falter might be able to movie 1OA for pieces the Oilers need.

or Oilers end up with 1OA and Arizona gets the #2...then yes again :)

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
At this point I want to win this lottery even more than I would have wanted to win last year because I want to watch the world burn.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I want Laine so whether it's with the 1st or 2nd pick that's who I want so we'd need to win one of the first 2 lotteries for that to happen.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
There is no logical reason why almost a quarter of the Oilers' fans who voted said they don't want to win this lottery. Except maybe embarrassment, if that's logical.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
I want whatever makes this team competitive as soon as possible. So yes.

Besides, we're already hated by everyone on this board. May as well embrace it and tick them off even further.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Voted no

Picking first tends to limit a team's options on what they can pick as best player available becomes the only option, and this team really needs some high end defensive prospects in a year where there isn't a defenseman in the top 3.

Also, the NHL is a reactive league when it comes to things that irritate them in the short term, and I'd rather not see the GMs foolishly add limitations on how many first overall picks a franchise can acquire in a short period of time after they created this mess with the dumb lottery system in the first place. It doesn't even really matter how improbable the Oiler lottery wins are or how unlikely it is to ever occur again in the future; they'll probably sit down and make a goofy decision based on their immediate feelings, and I'd rather not see every team int he league potentially punished going forward.
Further to this, winning the lottery again may cause other GMs to be more hesitant to help out the Oilers with trades (especially west conference teams), or may cause the refs to give them less calls. The Oilers don't get the benefit of the calls as it is, being a young team. This could add to that. I don't think its a reason to not want to win the lottery, but I could totally see some refs turning a blind eye to infractions against the "lucky Oilers". They are supposed to be impartial, but theyre still human, and some might be petty.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I do. Then the Yotes, Habs, and Blues are getting a call to figure out what package we can put together.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I want Laine so whether it's with the 1st or 2nd pick that's who I want so we'd need to win one of the first 2 lotteries for that to happen.

The more I watch Laine the more I would fully support him being taken at #1, but I have a hard time seeing a GM be ballsy enough to make the pick at #1.

I definitely want me some Laine too :yo:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

Agreed. Laine is my preferred pick even at 1. Not that I would be upset with Matthews either. Hoping for 2nd overall so we don't have to choose between them.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
The more I watch Laine the more I would fully support him being taken at #1, but I have a hard time seeing a GM be ballsy enough to make the pick at #1.

I definitely want me some Laine too :yo:

McDavid dishing to Laine for those one timers would be magic. Consistent 40 goal scorer.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Further to this, winning the lottery again may cause other GMs to be more hesitant to help out the Oilers with trades (especially west conference teams), or may cause the refs to give them less calls. The Oilers don't get the benefit of the calls as it is, being a young team. This could add to that. I don't think its a reason to not want to win the lottery, but I could totally see some refs turning a blind eye to infractions against the "lucky Oilers". They are supposed to be impartial, but theyre still human, and some might be petty.

I would say both you guys are right.

If I could vote (lol) I would vote no.

I think there reaches a point in time, which they've already passed with the 97 lottery win last year, that other teams probably be come fed up, whether it's the Oilers fault or just a matter of optics or not, and say to themselves they are not getting what they want without compromise.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
We'll get a great player no matter where we draft, but yes, yes I do. If only to see the whiny, crybaby, haters go ape****. The amount of Oiler bashing going on lately is sickening. Might as well twist the ****ing knife some more.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
We'll get a great player no matter where we draft, but yes, yes I do. If only to see the whiny, crybaby, haters go ape****. The amount of Oiler bashing going on lately is sickening. Might as well twist the ****ing knife some more.

Yup.

Like you don't see fans **** on the Jags/Browns or 76ers on football/basketball forums nearly like you see here. The obsession with our team is getting out of hand.

Usually the hate occurs when you punch up, not beat down a broken team. The hate will be tremendous when things come together and we start winning.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Absolutely win the lottery, and they will, and trade that pick alone or in a package (Ebs, yak, and to a lesser extent nuge need to go) for what we need. 1st holds more value than anything else and even if other GMs try to "fleece" us in a trade, there will be some who will really want Matthews and the potential to improve their own team will outweigh trying to "fleece" ours.

Anything that gives us better potential to improve this **** show of a team, is better for us.

This is my feeling as well. It's time to get out of the gutter. And I could care less what they do with the #1 pick or who is on this team next year, as long as I'm watching the Oilers in the playoffs. When this team qualifies for the playoffs again, i'll watch them again.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I voted no because the Oilers are already a league embarrassment that is going from complete and utter joke to the biggest cluster**** of all time.

its already bad enough the club has all these #1 picks and I suspect another would only tempt the club to keep the pick and basically reload. A line of thinking that will lead to perpetual development status.

That's not a good enough reason, imo. if they are already what you've dubbed them then why does it matter if it goes one step further? That's like stopping at the finish line at the very last second. Just cross it, win and move on. Ppl have short term memories. once the team turns it around they won't even be close to winning the lottery and ppl will forget and move onto something else to whine about . It's a vicious cycle that never ends.

If at this pont it benefits the team more then go for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad