Do you want to win the lottery?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
There is no logical reason why almost a quarter of the Oilers' fans who voted said they don't want to win this lottery. Except maybe embarrassment, if that's logical.

Or because we want a defenseman and this team won't trade for or pick a dman if they land the 1st overall. I still don't understand why everyone wants forwards when we have no one who can get them the puck at top speed.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Or because we want a defenseman and this team won't trade for or pick a dman if they land the 1st overall. I still don't understand why everyone wants forwards when we have no one who can get them the puck at top speed.

By the time Chychrun or any other defenseman would be making an impact, we've likely already addressed it anyways. Chia knows he has to. They may not trade 1st OV for a D, but surely they would've moved Hall/RNH/Eberle for one.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
By the time Chychrun or any other defenseman would be making an impact, we've likely already addressed it anyways. Chia knows he has to. They may not trade 1st OV for a D, but surely they would've moved Hall/RNH/Eberle for one.

Your not getting a guy like OEL, or Pietrangelo no matter who or what you trade. I'd rather take a chance on Sergachev becoming that guy then picking another winger. Even if he doesn't, teams with a strong defence that put up points almost always make the playoffs. If Sergachev takes two years then comes in and plays like either Shattenkirk or Pietrangelo I'd say thats a win for the club.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Your not getting a guy like OEL, or Pietrangelo no matter who or what you trade. I'd rather take a chance on Sergachev becoming that guy then picking another winger. Even if he doesn't, teams with a strong defence that put up points almost always make the playoffs. If Sergachev takes two years then comes in and plays like either Shattenkirk or Pietrangelo I'd say thats a win for the club.

For me, getting Matthews or Laine does more for the organization. If we're picking 3 that's where I start to consider Sergachev or Juolevi (maybe Chychrun). Laine/Matthews are very likely to turn out better than any of our forwards not named McDavid.

The bigger impact for me comes indirectly. Getting one of those guys makes another forward expendable. In that case, two of Hall/RNH/Eberle can go and all of a sudden the defense is very solid. Agreed that we're likely not going to get a true #1, but we can build an Anaheim style defense no problem.

I wouldn't bank on Sergachev becoming a top pairing guy within 3 years over getting Matthews/Laine.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
For me, getting Matthews or Laine does more for the organization. If we're picking 3 that's where I start to consider Sergachev or Juolevi (maybe Chychrun). Laine/Matthews are very likely to turn out better than any of our forwards not named McDavid.

The bigger impact for me comes indirectly. Getting one of those guys makes another forward expendable. In that case, two of Hall/RNH/Eberle can go and all of a sudden the defense is very solid. Agreed that we're likely not going to get a true #1, but we can build an Anaheim style defense no problem.

I wouldn't bank on Sergachev becoming a top pairing guy within 3 years over getting Matthews/Laine.

Anaheim still has Lindholm and Fowler. We can add forwards through free agency and trade. We don't need that highend skill on offence. What we do need is high end offensive skill on defence Sergachev fits the bill when it comes to that. And sure you say you don't want to wait for Sergachev, but do you think St. Louis really regrets waiting on Pietrangelo?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Anaheim still has Lindholm and Fowler. We can add forwards through free agency and trade. We don't need that highend skill on offence. What we do need is high end offensive skill on defence Sergachev fits the bill when it comes to that. And sure you say you don't want to wait for Sergachev, but do you think St. Louis really regrets waiting on Pietrangelo?

St. Louis also had Pietrangelo in the system before drafting Tarasenko and Schwartz. They all came up together. We need to speed things up a little. I'm not against Sergachev at all. In fact I'd take him over Chychrun and maybe Juolevi. I'm just saying I think we'd be better off with Laine/Matthews because of the options it gives us.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
St. Louis also had Pietrangelo in the system before drafting Tarasenko and Schwartz. They all came up together. We need to speed things up a little. I'm not against Sergachev at all. In fact I'd take him over Chychrun and maybe Juolevi. I'm just saying I think we'd be better off with Laine/Matthews because of the options it gives us.

But that team took off before Tarasenko or Schwartz came up. Its no coincidence that St. Louis really took off after the arrival of Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk. Also helps they brought in an actual coach.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I think Laine is the better choice anyhow 98 born compared to 97 born Matthews age does make a difference in these development years . He also is already bigger best shot in the draft can you imagine a Bossy Kurri type shot flanking McDavid. Best case would be win draft trade down one spot pick up additional asset and Draft Laine.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
No. I'm cool with the 2nd or 3rd pick, but 5 first overalls in 7 years is way too much of an embarrassing stain on this franchise. I'd be furious if it was another team getting this kind of luck and they continued to suck.

You have to win the lottery to get the 2nd or 3rd pick this year. I hope you voted in the poll that you want to win the lottery.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
Of course I do. Trade down for 2nd and pick Laine. Then trade the 6m golden boys for useful players and we have a team!

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
If the question was along the lines of "Would you be happier if the Oilers won the lottery?" my answer might have been no. So I understand being okay with not winning it. But if they win the lottery, all possibilities are open. If not, at the very least Matthews is off the table.

People saying they don't want to win reminds me of people winning a cash lottery and complaining about the taxes.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
If the question was along the lines of "Would you be happier if the Oilers won the lottery?" my answer might have been no. So I understand being okay with not winning it. But if they win the lottery, all possibilities are open. If not, at the very least Matthews is off the table.

People saying they don't want to win reminds me of people winning a cash lottery and complaining about the taxes.

If we paid taxes on lotto winnings in Canada, but point taken.

Say the Oilers win the lottery and Matthews being traded. Does that make Nuge more likely to be traded? Is Drai suddenly on the table? Either of which makes it that much easier for Chia to improve this team.

There is nothing wrong with the Oilers winning the lottery. Anything that makes this team better is a good thing.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I want the Oilers to win it because tears are delicious.

If we paid taxes on lotto winnings in Canada, but point taken.

Say the Oilers win the lottery and Matthews being traded. Does that make Nuge more likely to be traded? Is Drai suddenly on the table? Either of which makes it that much easier for Chia to improve this team.

There is nothing wrong with the Oilers winning the lottery. Anything that makes this team better is a good thing.

Yes to both of these posts!

We are in the best position of the bottom teams of this lottery. We have the best prize already in Mcdavid. We've won this 4 times. If we win, awesome, if we lose, meh.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Nah I'm good. 5/7 is too much for me.

Well.. I'm glad Mess and the boys didn't feel the same way.

I don't understand at all, why 5/7 is too much for anyone?

Winning the lottery gives us the best chance to improve this team going forward, and it allows us to enjoy the rage tears of fans around the league. So many good videos from last years draft lottery.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Why not?

Can't get any more embarrassing than it already is.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

This analogy reminds me that most analogies are poor comparisons. ;)

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Well.. I'm glad Mess and the boys didn't feel the same way.

I don't understand at all, why 5/7 is too much for anyone?

Winning the lottery gives us the best chance to improve this team going forward, and it allows us to enjoy the rage tears of fans around the league. So many good videos from last years draft lottery.

yeah. like mess and the boys would be happy being big fat historical losers. this isn't 5/7 cups. we're talking about the worst team in the history of the league. I can't believe so many people here enjoy that fact and want to embrace it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad