Do you want to win the lottery?

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I would rather win it with a 1% chance and being just out of the playoffs....

but beggars cant be pickers and anything that helps Edmonton next year is best.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
yeah. like mess and the boys would be happy being big fat historical losers. this isn't 5/7 cups. we're talking about the worst team in the history of the league. I can't believe so many people here enjoy that fact and want to embrace it.

Fair that you missed the sarcasm in the Messier reference.

That said, I'm a fan of this team win or lose. Most of us have been through here together through this terrible run. The fact that we find a positive light is a testament to how loyal we are to our team.

What is wrong with us cheering for the 1st overall pick? The season is over, the damage is done. Might as well embrace is and hope for the best possible asset to help us turn it around

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I think the point is, people, fans of the team, of the league and from other fanbases around the NHL will think - if they're [EDM] ever able to win another SC - that the victory is tainted. You're building up a generation of contempt and mass condescension towards the team. You can say you don't care, you can say it doesn't matter, but if it happens, this won't be a comparable story to Chicago's or Pittsburgh's... fans aren't going to care about the details. The optics are just bad. You can bet your ass it would be a brutal sort of backlash by fans, media, and probably to some extent GM's and other organizations around the league.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think the point is, people, fans of the team, of the league and from other fanbases around the NHL will think - if they're [EDM] ever able to win another SC - that the victory is tainted. You're building up a generation of contempt and mass condescension towards the team. You can say you don't care, you can say it doesn't matter, but if it happens, this won't be a comparable story to Chicago's or Pittsburgh's... fans aren't going to care about the details. The optics are just bad. You can bet your ass it would be a brutal sort of backlash by fans, media, and probably to some extent GM's and other organizations around the league.

Who the F cares what fans and the media think? I don't get why so many of you care so much about this. It boggles my mind.
This is the system in place, the Oilers have sucked for 7 years and have gotten some divine luck when it comes to winning draft lotteries. If the league doesn't like it, then they should abolish the lottery altogether.

Do you honestly think they will get blackballed by other GMs if they win 1st overall again? Come on man, that's crazy level thinking. GMs want to improve their team and if the Oilers have the assets they need, they will trade for it regardless of Oiler lottery wins.
They are already looked on as an embarassment, winning the 1st overall again isn't going to change that fact.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

Pittsburgh drafted 1-2-1-2 and got two generational talents. The Oilers only got one. I don't think 1-1-1-8-3-1-1 with one generational talent is that much different from 1-2-1-2 including 2 generational guys.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

I don't think it will be the case because I can't see RNH, or Yak here long term. Hall maybe, Mcdavid only for sure.

Plus if you look at Edmonton it's been more like Ottawa getting high picks then Colorado/Quebec (they traded those for assets)
Pittsburgh has Malkin, Crosby, Malkin and are arguably better than the Oilers top three.

I see other guys in the future being impactful over a Yak or RNH who might not even be here. This period for all we know in retrospect may be viewed as fixing up the mess period. People could have said Lindros, Nolan, Sundin would be tainted yet they just helped acquire really good players and people don't view it all like that.

So much can change Eberle could get you Hamonic, RNH may get you a d-man or forward it all changes with time. The only teams you here it from are like Calgary for Edmonton, or Philadelphia for Pittsburgh.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton

It's already a tainted story. Who cares what other teams around the league think about the team. This situation is already an outlier in pro sports. In my opinion the Oilers becoming a dynasty again would be one of the greatest story in professional sports.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I agree with all of you. I'm just a bit concerned.

I couldn't give any less of a ****.

It would only be "tainted" in the eyes of bitter outsiders. I don't give a rip whatever spin they would put on it.

The whole narrative around this is stupid. We suck at a historical level, I'm not really sure why there is resentment from teams that have been better that we have been so terrible. It's completely illogical.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I couldn't give any less of a ****.

It would only be "tainted" in the eyes of bitter outsiders. I don't give a rip whatever spin they would put on it.

The whole narrative around this is stupid. We suck at a historical level, I'm not really sure why there is resentment from teams that have been better that we have been so terrible. It's completely illogical.

Pretty simple. Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish, and Steve Tambellini as the place holding puppet in between them. They literally went in without a single other plan or alternative other than to finish as low in the standings as possible, with no attempt to legitimately improve the team between rebuilding years. The coaching carousel. Dallas Eakins. The gross mismanagement. Then they lucked out and got a generational player.

If they turn things around with these *******s still remotely associated, with their incompetent historical footprint still circulating the team, it simply rubs people the wrong way. And ultimately people kept showing up to the arena, through the darkest, most depressing winter days when the Oilers would've been better off competing against AHL franchises. I think other fanbases somehow think we the fans here in Edmonton bare some responsibility for keeping the OBC employed and still associated with the team, that not enough pressure was put on these guys.

Not so difficult to figure out.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Pretty simple. Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish, and Steve Tambellini as the place holding puppet in between them. They literally went in without a single other plan or alternative other than to finish as low in the standings as possible, with no attempt to legitimately improve the team between rebuilding years. The coaching carousel. Dallas Eakins. The gross mismanagement. Then they lucked out and got a generational player.

If they turn things around with these *******s still remotely associated, with their incompetent historical footprint still circulating the team, it simply rubs people the wrong way. And ultimately people kept showing up to the arena, through the darkest, most depressing winter days when the Oilers would've been better off competing against AHL franchises. I think other fanbases somehow think we the fans here in Edmonton bare some responsibility for keeping the OBC employed and still associated with the team, that not enough pressure was put on these guys.

Anyone who actually believes that twisted narrative will be a small minority of grumpy complainers. If and when this team starts clicking it will be an exciting team to watch, with no shortage of bandwagon fans who don't give a crap about what happened 4 years ago.

All sports are generally short sighted. Our remarkably unremarkable performance will an interesting footnote but it's not going to taint anything the team achieves in the future. Not even a little.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

None of that has anything to do with whether or not they win the lottery this season which is what the thread is about.

It seems like you just wanted to rant about the OBC which is fine as I'm sure nobody is happy with them still being in the organization but has nothing to do with the premise of this particular thread.

Winning this lottery is what's best for the organization, it gives them the best asset. Pretty simple really.
All this external stuff, fan and media backlash etc. is completely irrelevant and has no effect on the organization's fate going forward.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
None of that has anything to do with whether or not they win the lottery this season which is what the thread is about.

It seems like you just wanted to rant about the OBC which is fine as I'm sure nobody is happy with them still being in the organization but has nothing to do with the premise of this particular thread.

I answered to another poster who was asking/failing to understand the hypothetical response of other fans to the future success of the Oilers, just looking from an outsiders perspective is all. It all relates to the greater context of the rebuild, which this latest lottery will be a part of. Not ranting.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I answered to another poster who was asking/failing to understand the hypothetical response of other fans to the future success of the Oilers, just looking from an outsiders perspective is all. It all relates to the greater context of the rebuild, which this latest lottery will be a part of. Not ranting.

Ok. Fair enough

I still don't understand why outside perspective matters at all but to each their own.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I agree with you Philly.

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
If we paid taxes on lotto winnings in Canada, but point taken.

Say the Oilers win the lottery and Matthews being traded. Does that make Nuge more likely to be traded? Is Drai suddenly on the table? Either of which makes it that much easier for Chia to improve this team.

There is nothing wrong with the Oilers winning the lottery. Anything that makes this team better is a good thing.

If only my point involved people complaining about a perceived downside when there is no actual negative outcome.

I appreciate that you agree with my point, just thought I'd better clarify that part. There is literally zero downside to winning the draft lottery, like there's no tax on lottery winnings..

NeutralZone

Oct 29, 2011
I think fourth pick is a good spot for Edmonton. No lotto win, but Toronto gets a spot so we don't move down as far.

First overall for Edmonton is just going to lead to too much drama. The pick may get traded anyway.

MPStoEberletoHall*

I think fourth pick is a good spot for Edmonton. No lotto win, but Toronto gets a spot so we don't move down as far.

First overall for Edmonton is just going to lead to too much drama. The pick may get traded anyway.
Drama? Who cares.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I would rather win it with a 1% chance and being just out of the playoffs....

but beggars cant be pickers and anything that helps Edmonton next year is best.

Wonder what would happen if Edmonton finished 14th worst and won the lotto? They'd probably change the rules again.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015

Drama? The Oilers last decade has already been a dramedy worthy of an HBO miniseries, no getting over it. In for a penny, in for a pound. Bring on all the first overalls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad