Do you want to win the lottery?

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
This is where I'm at. If we win it, great. But I don't want us to make the pick. Trade it, or trade down, and take a dman

I agree. We need D. Anything we get for trading down to a d-man draft position is gravy though, so why wouldn't a person want to have the first pick?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Fine. Win the lottery and trade down to 3rd. Absolutely anything you get for the trade down is better than not winning the lottery. Can you not see that?

There is absolutely zero upside to not having the winning lottery balls on the 30th.

You don't get enough to make it worth while to trade down though. Fans would riot if we got 1st overall and traded down to 4th for something like 4th+2nd 2016. You can't just trade a 1st overall, it doesn't happen in todays NHL.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I've come to terms with potentially winning it but only if it leads to us getting the defense we need.

Another first overall isn't what this team needs, that's as plain as day. Plus I am sick of being public enemy number one.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
You don't get enough to make it worth while to trade down though. Fans would riot if we got 1st overall and traded down to 4th for something like 4th+2nd 2016. You can't just trade a 1st overall, it doesn't happen in todays NHL.

Of course they could. It has been done in the past. One other thing to consider is that perhaps a team offers up something nice for RNH if the Oilers make it clear they are taking Matthews.

Having the 1st OA gives the team the most options. No question about it.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015

Ok so you can't pick the player you need because the fans will riot, but you can't trade down from 1st overall to get what you need because fans will also riot for that? This is Edmonton, not the Gaza Strip. :D There's not a handful of fans who wouldn't completely understand trading down, <mod edit>

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Ok so you can't pick the player you need because the fans will riot, but you can't trade down from 1st overall to get what you need because fans will also riot for that? This is Edmonton, not the Gaza Strip. :D There's not a handful of fans who wouldn't completely understand trading down, <mod edit>

You sure about that? Imagine we traded down to 4th with Toronto for both their 1st's? I could see everyone on these boards losing their minds.

Edit: I don't know why it was deleted but I just don't see the team trading the pick due to the marketing value.

Last edited:

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
You sure about that? Imagine we traded down to 4th with Toronto for both their 1st's? I could see everyone on these boards losing their minds.

Oiler fans? Maybe the ones who don't have a clue? It's a stretch and it's a hypothetical one at that. You'll need a lot more fathomable position than that to convince me that heading into the draft with 1st overall is in any possible way a bad thing.

I feel like you have to be able to see that. :laugh:

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
I've been wrong in life before, I fully admit it. The idea that winning the draft lottery is in some way detrimental to the Oilers just seems so ridiculous to me though.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Yes.

Fact is that winning the lottery adds more value to the franchise than losing it.

How that value is used is another matter but there's no reason to hope against a lottery win. **** what everyone thinks around the league.

Last edited:

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I want to win it:

1. The best pick will always give the best potential to help the team
2. The reactions of HF
3. The reaction of the NHL, likely changing the lottery rules again that inadvertenty help us further

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Yes.

Fact is that winning the lottery adds more value to the franchise then losing it.

How that value is used is another matter but there's no reason to hope against a lottery win. **** what everyone thinks around the league.

This, I think the Kings are dirty and boring, I think the Hawks get away with stuff like the Keith suspension and have too easy a time signing free agents who just want to win.

Etc, etc

My opinion doesn't hurt them or their fans so why should theirs hurt us?

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
This, I think the Kings are dirty and boring, I think the Hawks get away with stuff like the Keith suspension and have too easy a time signing free agents who just want to win.

Etc, etc

My opinion doesn't hurt them or their fans so why should theirs hurt us?

Chicago had 15 5-on-3 power plays this season. We had two, and one of them only lasted for 8 seconds. Yeah, I'm worried what their fans think about lottery balls. :shakehead

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Voted no

Picking first tends to limit a team's options on what they can pick as best player available becomes the only option, and this team really needs some high end defensive prospects in a year where there isn't a defenseman in the top 3.

Also, the NHL is a reactive league when it comes to things that irritate them in the short term, and I'd rather not see the GMs foolishly add limitations on how many first overall picks a franchise can acquire in a short period of time after they created this mess with the dumb lottery system in the first place. It doesn't even really matter how improbable the Oiler lottery wins are or how unlikely it is to ever occur again in the future; they'll probably sit down and make a goofy decision based on their immediate feelings, and I'd rather not see every team int he league potentially punished going forward.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
Simple question. It was said on the main board that most Oilers actually dont want to win the lottery due to the mockery from other fans, and not forcing management to make the tough decisions (or something like that). I think thats crazy talk, so I wanted to check.

So what say you Oiler fans?

Is a bear Catholic? Does the Pope **** in the woods? Heck yeah let's win it!

If we don't - no biggie. I just can't stand the thought of Calgary getting it :rant:

Gretzky to Kurri

May 9, 2015
Darn straight.

I get the whole thing about how annoying it must be if you're a fan of another team. But I'll never feel guilty for winning the draft lottery as long as the 'no-trade' clause exists. It's what's killing the Canadian markets.

And not gonna lie... Reaction in cowtown and the 'center of the universe' will be spectacular.:popcorn::sarcasm:

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
No. 1) I don't think management/Katz deserves it.
2) if we ever get competitive people will always feel the need to bring it up.
3) it's pathetic.

I'm not one of those people who think it'd be bad for the team though, I just don't want it.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Damn effing rights.

I don't care if Lowe and MacT are buffoons that couldn't properly rebuild a team, that's not my problem. If they win the lottery again they are the ones who should feel ashamed. The fans have nothing to do with that.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Why the F would any Oiler fan not want them to win the lottery?

Seriously, who gives a damn about what other fans think, what the media thinks or the supposed embarassment of it, as if the Oilers shouldn't already be embarassed. Why does anybody care what "other people" think? I just don't get it.

I want my team to get the best prospect/trade asset and winning the lottery accomplishes that. Pretty straight forward really.
In the same token, I wouldn't be broken up if they dropped to 4 or 5. Chychrun or Dubois would be a hell of a consolation prize.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
I wanted the Oilers to finish closer to the playoffs, but since they didn't - why not win the lottery. I doubt it will happen based on the odds, but if it did, the impending ********* would be worth missing the playoffs and finishing this low. :popcorn::vhappy:

Jun 9, 2011
I'm ok with 5th spot. It's what I expect after all the luck we've had. I still will hope for a win though, why not. Mains aren't going to suddenly like us better if don't get first overall again, so hoping for a loss to win friends is silly.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The fact that a few people voted "No" is troubling.

The question is this: "Do you want what is best for our team?"

There is only one answer if you're an Oilers fan. I don't buy into the misplaced sense of shame. The time for that was when we were still able to play ourselves into the position to not be in the lottery. That ship has since sailed. At this point we're down to lottery balls in a lottery machine. Of course we want the best that we can get!

I voted no because the Oilers are already a league embarrassment that is going from complete and utter joke to the biggest cluster**** of all time.

its already bad enough the club has all these #1 picks and I suspect another would only tempt the club to keep the pick and basically reload. A line of thinking that will lead to perpetual development status.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Edit: I don't know why it was deleted but I just don't see the team trading the pick due to the marketing value.

Somebody gets it.

yep. This org just loves its can't miss prospects. I'd be very surprised if they dealt the #1 if they won. It would be having to watch yet another rookie prospect on a team crying out for vet leadership.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
OP needs to be more specific... There are 3 lotteries this year..
I want the Oilers to win 2nd overall lottery..

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
I voted no because the Oilers are already a league embarrassment that is going from complete and utter joke to the biggest cluster**** of all time.

its already bad enough the club has all these #1 picks and I suspect another would only tempt the club to keep the pick and basically reload. A line of thinking that will lead to perpetual development status.

So you don't want the random lottery balls to benefit the Oilers because you will feel embarrassed? I have news, that ship sailed back when the team still had their own destiny in their hands.

If the team being in the best possible position moving forward somehow takes a back seat to how you feel about other teams opinions.....

As to the fear that we will somehow become dependent on 1st overall draft picks and thus refuse to do what else is necessary to win, this is a management issue and not a draft lottery issue. The idea that going into the draft with a solid position would somehow brainwash Chiarelli into abandoning his senses, is probably a tiny bit of a stretch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad