Do you want to win the lottery?

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
Somebody gets it.

yep. This org just loves its can't miss prospects. I'd be very surprised if they dealt the #1 if they won. It would be having to watch yet another rookie prospect on a team crying out for vet leadership.

Drafting 3rd or 4th would address the lack of vet leadership? Or is this back to the idea that we would pick Mathews and then forget that we need some defenders?

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Of course you want to win the lottery. Even if you don't pick Matthews, you have control of who you pick before any other team. Also leverage for trade negotiations.

If you are so lame as to be scared of picking first then don't participate.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
Of course you want to win the lottery. Even if you don't pick Matthews, you have control of who you pick before any other team. Also leverage for trade negotiations.

If you are so lame as to be scared of picking first then don't participate.

....but what about what people who don't like the Oilers will say!? :laugh:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Drafting 3rd or 4th would address the lack of vet leadership? Or is this back to the idea that we would pick Mathews and then forget that we need some defenders?

because Matthews is going to stop us from acquiring a Dman?
Just dont see the connection... You want us to draft 4th\5th so we can draft a Dman?

If we are keeping that pick then I prefer Laine over Matthews. I just dont see EDM trading that pick if its 1st overall.. But that doesnt stop Chia from shopping both RNH and Draisatil.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
because Matthews is going to stop us from acquiring a Dman?
Just dont see the connection... You want us to draft 4th\5th so we can draft a Dman?

If we are keeping that pick then I prefer Laine over Matthews. I just dont see EDM trading that pick if its 1st overall.. But that doesnt stop Chia from shopping both RNH and Draisatil.

In case my position is less than clear, I want us to win the draft lottery. What they should do after that is debatable. Whether or not I want us to win the lottery is not. :)

(And I agree with every part of your post, even the Laine over Mathews position)

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
2016: Oilers win lottery, followed by movie sequel "There Will be Blood 2". ;)

camboy

Oct 16, 2003
Victoria, BC
I voted yes only for the reason I want the Oilers to have the asset to trade for a dman....a damn good one. Also I think the Oilers have bad luck with some of their previous 1st overalls....its not like we had the luck Pittsburg and Chicago had.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
wish we weren't here but might as well get what we can.

I think it is an interesting question though since if we draft 4th or 5th (which is likely) then at least the general NHL fanbase might be less rabid towards us. Last year was hilarous but the hate lingered and lingered. It's annoying now.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
2016: Oilers win lottery, followed by movie sequel "There Will be Blood 2". ;)
Good lottery
Good movie
PQHtrbz.jpg

Heh, made that a long time ago (poor Luke, i hoped he would become a 4th liner :( )

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
wish we weren't here but might as well get what we can.

I think it is an interesting question though since if we draft 4th or 5th (which is likely) then at least the general NHL fanbase might be less rabid towards us. Last year was hilarous but the hate lingered and lingered. It's annoying now.

So? Why do you some of you care what they think?

MPStoEberletoHall*

Voted yes, but I really don't care this year. As long as Toronto & Calgary don't get top 2 picks, I'll be a happy man

MPStoEberletoHall*

So? Why do you some of you care what they think?

I for one love how fired up people get about us :laugh:

Could you imagine how f****** p***** off Toronto fans would be if we draft #1, and they get bumped down to 3/4.

That makes me smile.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
for me it is a catch 22

while getting the first overall pick is the good thing--the organization, city and fan base have been taking body shots all year over this topic .

We have had four first overall picks. Hall, Nuge, Yak and Mcdavid. With the exception of McDavid, a case can be made that the other 3 would not go first overall in their draft year in a redraft of their draft year.

Sometime the BPA when you pick is not the best player for your team. And in our case too many posters and local media have fallen in love with high picks fixing the problems that the team faces.

We can argue till the cows come home of Hall Vs Seguin vs Tarasenko vs Cam Fowler, Yak for Murrey and everyone else in his draft year and we can argue nuge vs 6 guys in his draft

Oilers have drafted high end talent--but failed at properly filing out the rest of the line up

for five years I have and many other have been screaming about D and the lack of a blue blood on the back end and here we are 14 days from the lotto and the topic is of taking another FW and trading one of our fwds for a D--but many do not want to trade one of Hall, Nuge or Eberle for that D.

Getting another first overall pick wont answer are problems and could actually cause more

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So you don't want the random lottery balls to benefit the Oilers because you will feel embarrassed? I have news, that ship sailed back when the team still had their own destiny in their hands.

If the team being in the best possible position moving forward somehow takes a back seat to how you feel about other teams opinions.....

As to the fear that we will somehow become dependent on 1st overall draft picks and thus refuse to do what else is necessary to win, this is a management issue and not a draft lottery issue. The idea that going into the draft with a solid position would somehow brainwash Chiarelli into abandoning his senses, is probably a tiny bit of a stretch.

Excuse me if I've been observing an incompetent org for an era and still thinking incompetence is at hand. Do I trust this org do actually deal the #1 pick if they get it? No I don't.

Refuse to do what is necessary to win? Other than Talbot and Maroon new management has brought in nothing even remotely useful to that end. Again I'll reserve judgement one year into Chias tenure until some significant progress actually occurs.

Again why wouldn't there be doubt given this org? I think if this org got #1 it could easily be seduced into a scenario whereby it views its present core as dispensable and gets more into a mode of jettisoning. I already think 4 top picks has caused this org to not respect the players they already have. Its made it into a commodity and they're not even working solidly with all the picks they already have. Like I said earlier another #1 pick now risks this team being in perpetual rebuild mode as they ponder what a future of McDavid and the new #1 looks like.

I'm already concerned Chia will pull the plug on guys like Hall.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Hell yes. The 1st OVR has way more trade value than the 3rd, 4th or 5th; the team can then either:
- trade down and draft Laine or Pulju (I don't think the team should be drafting a Dman - they need veteran defenders, not ones that will take 3-5 years to develop)
- select Matthews and deal RNH for a defender (which opens a spot on the expansion-protected list and clears ~ 3 mil from the cap)
- trade Matthews to a team that is willing to give up a top-pairing D

As others have mentioned, the time for embarrassment has passed, and you can't lump Chia in with the mistakes of Lowe and Curly McStupid.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
Excuse me if I've been observing an incompetent org for an era and still thinking incompetence is at hand. Do I trust this org do actually deal the #1 pick if they get it? No I don't.

Refuse to do what is necessary to win? Other than Talbot and Maroon new management has brought in nothing even remotely useful to that end. Again I'll reserve judgement one year into Chias tenure until some significant progress actually occurs.

Again why wouldn't there be doubt given this org?

So you don't want the Oilers to be in the best possible position for the draft because the new management hasn't done enough to garner your trust?

You're not totally comfortable that management will do what you want them to, so you don't want them have the chance?

If I putting words into your mouth, stop me. I'm honestly trying to wrap my head around the idea of what seems to be wishing bad things on our team.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So you don't want the Oilers to be in the best possible position for the draft because the new management hasn't done enough to garner your trust?

You're not totally comfortable that management will do what you want them to, so you don't want them have the chance?

If I putting words into your mouth, stop me. I'm honestly trying to wrap my head around the idea of what seems to be wishing bad things on our team.

Read my edit. In what way am I wishing bad things on the org. I think the chance that bad things occur will increase if this org gets another #1 to be seduced by while already not developing the ones they have properly.

Another #1 pick has these possible results;

1)Increases the chances of a mega deal where we trade a player of Halls Caliber. Unfortunately we won't get we want because teams don't generally trade franchise D for anything and why would they?

2)Org gets offseason of contentment at having yet another shiny #1 pick, sees this as accomplishment, see's this helping whereas I see it as likely to warehouse yet more young prospects instead of recruiting useful vets. present player needs are disrespected even more in a milieu of increasing top pick prospects. Development suffers for all as we've already seen.

3) Around the league, GM's already sick of this teams operations would rather make a deal with the devil than help this org out. So that any big package deal we do make we're getting fleeced on.

The chance? lol How many #1 chances does an org need to get it right. By sheer decency alone I would want no part in further such *chances*. I want an org with a clue actually building something of their own acumen.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Hell yes. The 1st OVR has way more trade value than the 3rd, 4th or 5th; the team can then either:
- trade down and draft Laine or Pulju (I don't think the team should be drafting a Dman - they need veteran defenders, not ones that will take 3-5 years to develop)
- select Matthews and deal RNH for a defender (which opens a spot on the expansion-protected list and clears ~ 3 mil from the cap)
- trade Matthews to a team that is willing to give up a top-pairing D

As others have mentioned, the time for embarrassment has passed, and you can't lump Chia in with the mistakes of Lowe and Curly McStupid.

I sure do. Its the same org. The stooges are still employed, still untouchable as per the owner and I think they still have say and influence. Nor do I trust Chia or McLellan unconditionally. I didn't when they got here. A year later with no results I don't trust them more.

Ultimately a first right now pressures a big deal to be made involving the pick and/or core players involved. Theres a time pressure involved there that impacts deal and desperation. With the latest season showing any prospective dealers that this org is desperate and willing to pull the plug on a questionable deal.

Do I see Chia getting fleeced at least partly due to the situation? Damn straight I do. He's not dealing from a position of strength.

Now conversely if Chia had actually had a productive first offseason and had set the table for this team actually competing somewhat this past year then there would be less desperation and chaos. But it is what it is. A perennial ****show that's continued to be that this season, even under new coaching and management, and the whole league knows the **** is ready to go down.

The first pick just results in more circus, more temptations and more GM's phoning to pick our pockets clean.

Last edited:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I will be watching the lottery with my popcorn ready so I can bear witness to the epic meltdown on HF and worldwide lol

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
There's immense pressure drafting first because of the perceived consensus #1. You almost have to pick guys like Yakupov, Hall, RNH , Matthews. History has shown they are not always the best player in the draft.

Picking lower takes that pressure off, and may result in the best player but the odds are less. I think the fans and management secretly want to pick 2nd if possible. It's too embarrassing to draft 1st and pick the wrong guy.

This is a crucial pick so picking lower is only good for the psyche.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00