Do you want to win the lottery?

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Simple question. It was said on the main board that most Oilers actually dont want to win the lottery due to the mockery from other fans, and not forcing management to make the tough decisions (or something like that). I think thats crazy talk, so I wanted to check.

So what say you Oiler fans?

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Heck yes. The NHL already changed the lottery system to discourage tanking - if we win, it just means we are incredibly lucky (while suffering through an incredibly unlucky and awful decade). The lottery has nothing to do with "deserving" the pick - I'll laugh out loud if we win the lottery but I'll also take it.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
No. I'm cool with the 2nd or 3rd pick, but 5 first overalls in 7 years is way too much of an embarrassing stain on this franchise. I'd be furious if it was another team getting this kind of luck and they continued to suck.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'd rather not honestly. I mean obviously if it was 100% guaranteed you could move 1st overall for a legit #1D then I'd say yes but 1st overall picks are so incredibly rare to get traded. I rather just get a lower pick and draft something else than another centre...

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. Not sure why any real Oilers fan would tbh.

Yes, of course I want them to win. For the benefit of the franchise and the hours upon hours of ensuing entertainment on here.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
As a Leafs fan I hope we win but if not us I hope you guys do just to see the butt hurt fans of other teams.

I hope the top 3 picks are all by Canadian teams too.

Love to see the Battle of Alberta reborn so Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary top 3 picks:yo:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Absolutely. No question about it. The highest value asset is always the best to have and the 1st OA is the highest value. Other fans are going to consider any future success the team may have as cheating and unfair anyways, so we might as well go all it.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Absolutely. No question about it. The highest value asset is always the best to have and the 1st OA is the highest value. Other fans are going to consider any future success the team may have as cheating and unfair anyways, so we might as well go all it.

Absolutely. Plus seeing the explosion of outrage from Leafs fans would be great!

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
The fact that a few people voted "No" is troubling.

The question is this: "Do you want what is best for our team?"

There is only one answer if you're an Oilers fan. I don't buy into the misplaced sense of shame. The time for that was when we were still able to play ourselves into the position to not be in the lottery. That ship has since sailed. At this point we're down to lottery balls in a lottery machine. Of course we want the best that we can get!

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

There is only one answer if you're an Oilers fan. I don't buy into the misplaced sense of shame. The time for that was when we were still able to play ourselves into the position to not be in the lottery. That ship has since sailed. At this point we're down to lottery balls in a lottery machine. Of course we want the best that we can get!

Like how getting Yak in 2012 was the best we could get?

I just don't like the idea of getting another centre. If it turns out you can't move that pick for fair value then it's pointless.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
Like how getting Yak in 2012 was the best we could get?

I just don't like the idea of getting another centre. If it turns out you can't move that pick for fair value then it's pointless.

Your concerns are scouting (making the right choice) and management (ability to move pick for value), not the draft lottery (being in the position to make the best choice.)

Your concerns are valid. That doesn't change the fact that the best place for any team on draft day to be is on top of the list.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Emphatically yes!

"Stuff you Toronto, and stuff you Vancouver!
...and stuff you again Toronto!"

"Hey why did we get double-stuffed?"

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
Yes. We may not need another center but that doesn't mean we couldn't trade down or trade a center down th road. Bpa every time

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Winning isn't necessarily whats best for the team... OEL was taken 6th overall and would look amazing on this team. I believe Sergachev has the potential to be as good as OEL. I'd rather take the chance on potentially getting a franchise dman then drafting another centermen.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
Winning isn't necessarily whats best for the team... OEL was taken 6th overall and would look amazing on this team. I believe Sergachev has the potential to be as good as OEL. I'd rather take the chance on potentially getting a franchise dman then drafting another centermen.

Good grief, then take your first overall pick and use it on a defense man! Nothing changes the fact that picking first overall is the best place to be, NOTHING.

Datsyuk was drafted 171st overall. Does that mean we should wait until then to pick?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Good grief, then take your first overall pick and use it on a defense man! Nothing changes the fact that picking first overall is the best place to be, NOTHING.

Datsyuk was drafted 171st overall. Does that mean we should wait until then to pick?

And drafting 1st overall has helped us so much over the last 7 years... :sarcasm:

With the 1st overall we HAVE to take Matthews. We won't get enough value for the pick to trade it and you can not take anyone else in that spot or else fans will riot, ditto to the 2nd overall pick with Laine. I believe the lowest the Oilers should pick for our own good is the 3rd spot and take either Chychrun or Sergachev. We need to pick dmen, teams that win championships almost always have a great defence. If we want to turn into the Pittsburgh Penguins then yes winning the lottery is whats best for the organization. But just be prepared to keep losing until we find some dmen and to have an unbalanced roster because we can't afford all the high picks and to fix the defence.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Want a dman, so picking around 4th works for me.

This is where I'm at. If we win it, great. But I don't want us to make the pick. Trade it, or trade down, and take a dman. That said, if there simply isn't a good deal to be made, we shouldn't just take whatever's on the table

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
And drafting 1st overall has helped us so much over the last 7 years... :sarcasm:

With the 1st overall we HAVE to take Matthews. We won't get enough value for the pick to trade it and you can not take anyone else in that spot or else fans will riot, ditto to the 2nd overall pick with Laine. I believe the lowest the Oilers should pick for our own good is the 3rd spot and take either Chychrun or Sergachev. We need to pick dmen, teams that win championships almost always have a great defence. If we want to turn into the Pittsburgh Penguins then yes winning the lottery is whats best for the organization. But just be prepared to keep losing until we find some men and to have an unbalanced roster because we can't afford all the high picks and to fix the defence.

Fine. Win the lottery and trade down to 3rd. Absolutely anything you get for the trade down is better than not winning the lottery. Can you not see that?

There is absolutely zero upside to not having the winning lottery balls on the 30th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad