Do you want to win the lottery?

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
The position in the standings is what's embarrassing. No reason not to hope to win the lottery. No matter where we end up picking there is guaranteed to be people making negative comments whether it's a top 3 pick or if it's outside the top 3.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Who the F cares what fans and the media think? I don't get why so many of you care so much about this. It boggles my mind.
This is the system in place, the Oilers have sucked for 7 years and have gotten some divine luck when it comes to winning draft lotteries. If the league doesn't like it, then they should abolish the lottery altogether.

Do you honestly think they will get blackballed by other GMs if they win 1st overall again? Come on man, that's crazy level thinking. GMs want to improve their team and if the Oilers have the assets they need, they will trade for it regardless of Oiler lottery wins.
They are already looked on as an embarassment, winning the 1st overall again isn't going to change that fact.

I could really give a **** too on what people think should the Oilers win the cup with a few lottery picks. What's the difference? Teams like Buffalo and Arizona and their fans think its ok to tank to get a good pick any particular year. So what's the difference it a team is bad (intentional or not) for a few years and get great picks? Teams do whatever it takes within the rules to win - so even if the Oilers were intentionally bad and were doing it within the rules of the game - well, others do it as well. If that's a problem, then change the ****ing system already.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The position in the standings is what's embarrassing. No reason not to hope to win the lottery. No matter where we end up picking there is guaranteed to be people making negative comments whether it's a top 3 pick or if it's outside the top 3.

You are right about this....the position in the standings is an embarrasment to both Chiarelli and Maclellan, injury excuse or not. I think they needed to improve a lot more than they did to make any sort of permanent impression on this club. And so far that hasn't been done and it's all still up in the air.

Now having said that, there was only minimal improvement, even with drafting a generational talent. So to the lottery we go again.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I do see a benefit to drafting 2nd or 3rd overall, but landing first overall makes more of our young core expendable.

ales83fan

Jul 13, 2007
Guys.... No one here can be serious right? This is not even a question.

The damage is done.

GRadio

Energy Line
Aug 16, 2014
Edmonton
I'm prett indifferent. We no longer need to draft superstars, just a great supporting cast. You don't need the #1 pick to do that.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Of course you want to win 1st. I'd be willing to bet this draft pick never plays a game for the Oilers, so it's best to maximize value.

If a team with a big name defenceman is willing to move theirs, you've got to think an offer of Hall and Matthews is the best value they'll get.

It's a hefty price, but this team has the depth to do it and not be put at a major disadvantage.

Maroon-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Draisaitl

Can be as dominant as any top 6 in the league.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Of course you want to win 1st. I'd be willing to bet this draft pick never plays a game for the Oilers, so it's best to maximize value.

If a team with a big name defenceman is willing to move theirs, you've got to think an offer of Hall and Matthews is the best value they'll get.

It's a hefty price, but this team has the depth to do it and not be put at a major disadvantage.

Maroon-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Draisaitl

Can be as dominant as any top 6 in the league.

Unless the guy we trade for is going to win Norris Trophies, (yes plural), that trade is brutal

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
You are right about this....the position in the standings is an embarrasment to both Chiarelli and Maclellan, injury excuse or not. I think they needed to improve a lot more than they did to make any sort of permanent impression on this club. And so far that hasn't been done and it's all still up in the air.

Now having said that, there was only minimal improvement, even with drafting a generational talent. So to the lottery we go again.
I would like to point out this year has been one of the most competitive as far as the bottom of the league in awhile. With 71 points in most years we could have finished 3rd to 5th last not 2nd. I know that's not any consolation but there was improvement this year it was just masked by a general improvement in play by all the lower teams
We improved our goal differential by about 40. If we did that again we would be an even goal differential team and be either in or close to playoffs. I think the problem is the oilers were worse than expected. Thanks mact

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Of course you want to win the lottery however I believe that a win for Edmonton means that 3 teams leapfrog Edmonton and TO for 1, 2, and 3 forcing the oilers to pick 5th where they can select one of the high end Defencemen. This bolsters the prospect pool and provides them with additional defensive assets and depth so that they can include defense prospects as pieces to acquire an established top pair dman.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Should be no shame felt by Oiler fans if we win #1 in the lottery again. None of us were the ones to promote Kevin Lowe as POHO and sat back while he hired his friends to sewer the organization. We only had to witness the consequences of that horrible decision, one of the most (possibly THE most) pathetic 8 year runs by an NHL franchise in history. And of course we will all likely have to watch the Oilers set a new playoff drought record while being up against the cap for a bunch of those years (and even exceeding it this year), beating the old record set by a budget team.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Should be no shame felt by Oiler fans if we win #1 in the lottery again. None of us were the ones to promote Kevin Lowe as POHO and sat back while he hired his friends to sewer the organization. We only had to witness the consequences of that horrible decision.

unfortunatley we're still witnessing him being there. Still can't get the site of his speech at the Rexall Farewell out of mind.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I want to win so I can see multiple threads, with hundreds, and hundreds, of posts insulting, flaming, trolling, and city bashing us. While we finally can't take it any more, and start dancing in the ashes, and see people ignore the mass trolling, and flaming, to call us arrogant, and classless.

Just like when we won McDavid.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yes and no

Yes- HF would be hilarious
No- hopefully hockey gods bless us with a healthy and PDO filled season

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
How is this even a question?

You always want to win.

Only difference is we now have 3 chances to win. Thanks NHL! ;)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I would like to point out this year has been one of the most competitive as far as the bottom of the league in awhile. With 71 points in most years we could have finished 3rd to 5th last not 2nd. I know that's not any consolation but there was improvement this year it was just masked by a general improvement in play by all the lower teams
We improved our goal differential by about 40. If we did that again we would be an even goal differential team and be either in or close to playoffs. I think the problem is the oilers were worse than expected. Thanks mact

On the other hand the Oiles, with the great Connor McDavid and fantastic play this year by Draisaitl, and great goaltending by Talbot were only 9 pts better. Without those players this club would have been as bad as at anytime. Those players alone accounted for a large number of pts obtained.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Yes, the major reason being that I can get my schadenfraudian like jollies from watching the main forum of this site implode into a lovely mushroom cloud.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We are gonna be mocked regardless. I voted yes because I really don't give a **** what other fan bases think. It's not like us as fans are the ones putting the club in this position year after year.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I vote yes for 2 reasons.

1) troll the NHL and fans of other teams.
2) more value for trading away Matthews to really help the team. Can probably get that ever elusive #1/2 Dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad