Confirmed with Link: Dennis Seidenberg on buyout waivers

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
BRUINS BUYING OUT DENNIS SEIDENBERG SHOULD HAVE BEEN LAST RESORT

Who's to say the buyout wasn't the last resort? I don't think anyone disagrees that the best outcome for the Bruins would have been trading Seids and retaining half his salary. The question is: Which team wants to acquire Seids and carry the remaining $2.25 million price tag?

Isn't this literally the last day you can make this move without going to arbitration? Literally the last resort.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
I will always remember how he was far and away the best player during that 2012 Washington series. Such a bummer how he declined, but this is the right move. A prime Seidenberg would be such an asset to this team right now.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
He was a true warrior and good leader; however time and injuries caught up to him.

Wish him nothing but the best.

Chara/Seidenberg was amazing to watch when they won the cup!

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Isn't this literally the last day you can make this move without going to arbitration? Literally the last resort.

I would assume that he looked for a trading partner and couldn't find one. Sure they could have retained salary in this magical deal but they likely would have had to take some back as well. Easier said than done.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Wondering if they should have kept him and then try to deal him at the deadline? With only 1 year left at that point some team would probably have taken him for depth for the playoffs and the Bruins would not have any cap hit for the next 4 years.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
You'd have to assume they're going to USE the cap space, right? Or is to open up a spot for a youngin?

I guess we'll see.

My thought process is they're planning to use it for something. I mean, they NEED to at this point because their defense is probably one of the worst in the league and Seidenberg leaves another hole to fill.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Wondering if they should have kept him and then try to deal him at the deadline? With only 1 year left at that point some team would probably have taken him for depth for the playoffs and the Bruins would not have any cap hit for the next 4 years.

I think it was the right move.

Get some new blood on this defense. Heck, if Seidenberg played bad or got hurt, we would be stuck with him again.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I will always remember how he was far and away the best player during that 2012 Washington series. Such a bummer how he declined, but this is the right move. A prime Seidenberg would be such an asset to this team right now.

Loved Sides, but he's a shell of the player he was.

**** Cory Conacher, the little weasel. Sides was never the same after that.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Man, that's throwing away a lot of money.

Wish they just ditched McQuaid instead...but knew that wouldn't happen...McQuaid has DS's signature, while Seids is Chia...

DS isn't getting rid of his own guy he just signed to a extented contract last year.

Thanks, Seids. You were my fav Bruin for a lot of years. I can only hope that the money saved will really contribute to a critically-needed new face.

I'm gonna really be disapointed now if they just basically sign their own guys.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Man, that's throwing away a lot of money.

Wish they just ditched McQuaid instead...but knew that wouldn't happen...McQuaid has DS's signature, while Seids is Chia...

DS isn't getting rid of his own guy he just signed to a extented contract last year.

Thanks, Seids. You were my fav Bruin for a lot of years. I can only hope that the money saved will really contribute to a critically-needed new face.

I'm gonna really be disapointed now if they just basically sign their own guys.

Sign who?

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
McQuaid is still a pretty serviceable player; Seidenberg is not worth that contract on our 3rd line.

He has no business being a top 4 dman anymore.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Tough to see it come to an end like this for a great playoff warrior, but the money outweighed his diminished skills.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
So now the defenseman who played half a season or more last season:
Chara
Krug
K. Miller
C. Miller
McQuaid

(Trotman played 38)

Chara and Krug are the only "top 4" defenseman on that roster IMO

Yuck. Something has to change. There has to be a next step to this plan.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
So now the defenseman who played half a season or more last season:
Chara
Krug
K. Miller
C. Miller
McQuaid

(Trotman played 38)

Chara and Krug are the only "top 4" defenseman on that roster IMO

Yuck. Something has to change. There has to be a next step to this plan.

I'd like to think so, but I'm not feeling very optimistic. I'm hopping Sweeney proves me wrong..

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Hamhuis it is then.

Then trade McQuaid for Evander Kane

He'll likely be trying to sign in the Pacific or Central Divisions.

Sucks to see Seids go, but with this age, declining production and the money on his deal, it makes sense. I'm sure he'll land somewhere on a $2m deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad