Confirmed with Link: Dennis Seidenberg on buyout waivers

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Thank you Seids for being a warrior for the Bruins. So many great memories especially in 2011. Best of luck to him!

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Sad day. Seids was such a huge part of the D-first 2011 Cup-era Bruins teams. Solid.

Probably the right move, especially if it means that they'll use the cap room and space on the roster toward bringing in an upgrade on the blueline, which is why they did this. Right?

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Not the outcome any of us wanted but he hasn't been the same since the injury. Tough but right decision

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Should have let McQuaid go last year, and once they signed him definitely should have let Miller go this year, then taken your lumps for one more year with Seidenberg, and bought him out next year (maybe the even has a nice start to the season and you can move him, best case scenario).

I wanted him moved, but this was the only option I didn't want them to use.

I agree with this.

Is this going to be a big difference maker in 2016-17? I doubt it.

This is a bridge year coming up and I'd be shocked if it were anything better no matter what DS does tomorrow or this summer. The only young difference maker is off the UFA market.

It would be great if this new cap relief lead to an offer sheet but um, whoops, those picks are gone for a rental journeyman and a failed experiment with trash.

The only good that may come of this is more youth being played night in and night out because of lesser number of veterans. To that end, I truly wish Kevan Miller was never signed. It would make this decision much easier to live with.

McQuaid could play his 62 games as the veteran voice and then head to Vegas. Chara's cap hit plummets next year and the Bruins are clear of any significant cap hits on defenseman over age 26.

I wish they at least waited a year. I guess they still think they are competitive. We'll see what they do this week but I can't see how they are going to get much better.

Maybe I'm clouded because I generally hate buyouts but this seemed like a good year to perhaps acquire some picks and prospects and pay some other team's cap problem for a year to get some assets in order to sell off Hayes and Seidenberg next summer. All while playing young players instead of those veterans for much of the year.

As of now it looks like Bruins are going to be paying Miller, Hayes and the ghost of Seidenberg a combined 6.16 million in 2017-18. Nearly 9m if McQuaid is still here. Yuck.

I hope this is the first in a "series of moves" :sarcasm:

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Seidenberg and Matt Bartkowski from Florida in 2010 for Byron Bitz, Craig Weller and a second-draft draft pick. One of Chia's better trades.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Thank you, 44. You'll be missed. A true warrior and a big reason why 2011 ended in triumph.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
“We wrestled with this decision for quite some time,†said general manager Don Sweeney during a conference call. “That’s in compliment to Dennis as a person, what he has done, and he’ll continue to do at the National Hockey League level. But with where we are and where we want to get to, we feel we have some other players internally who can help us get there.â€

Seidenberg was due $7 million in salary through 2018. The 34-year-old will be paid two-thirds of his remaining salary over the next four years, or twice the length of his existing deal. He signed his four-year, $16 million extension on Oct. 3, 2013.

The buyout will cost the Bruins $1,116,667 in cap space in 2016-17, 2018-19, and 2019-20. They will carry a $2,166,667 hit in 2017-18.

It is an expensive solution to address Seidenberg’s two remaining years. The most efficient alternative would have been to trade Seidenberg. The latter, however, was not possible because of his age, contract, and declining play.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...rg-contract/HXqBHE5oe5sBO09zz16IFM/story.html

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...by_bruins_shocks_defenseman_dennis_seidenberg

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Seidenberg and Matt Bartkowski from Florida in 2010 for Byron Bitz, Craig Weller and a second-draft draft pick. One of Chia's better trades.

At the end of the day it was a great trade, although I remember Seidenberg was a UFA five months earlier--just languishing that whole summer prior--before signing with the Panthers who were basically a minor league team then.

The Bruins had to have known from the 2009 Carolina series how good Seids was. They gave up the 36th pick in a pretty good draft when they finally made up their minds.

I saw a similar repeat of this with Stempniak this year. Lots of 2nd rounders just tossed out over the years.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH

Out of curiousity, I had to look up who they picked with that second rounder: Alex Petrovic

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
I loved Siedenberg.

I really believe that on a good d-core he would make a great #5\6

Not sure I like that going forward the Bruins have to pay him for the next 4 years to not play.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I made a Seidenberg tribute. Great player that has lost so much due to injuries in the last 2-3 seasons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRF3noXAXdk

Thank you ! :)

I will miss Seids. I am sure this is difficult for him.

The B's fans had better get on their feet and give him a nice welcome when he comes to Boston with his new team. I hope he ends up somewhere great.

He deserves it for all he has done for the B's and us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad