Confirmed with Link: Dennis Seidenberg on buyout waivers

Sinner

Stevens #4 Legend
Jun 30, 2016
Rags Suck Land
I've always been a big Seidenberg fan and hoped that one day he would play for the Devils.

Do you guys think he has any gas in the tank for a bottom pairing role as a pure shutdown guy?

Burt Reynolds

Feb 21, 2010
Mansfield, MA
I've always been a big Seidenberg fan and hoped that one day he would play for the Devils.

Do you guys think he has any gas in the tank for a bottom pairing role as a pure shutdown guy?

I don't think he's getting many, if any contract offers. Management should offer him a PTO and run him through the ringer, see if he can do it. Worst case, you don't sign him.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
So when I saw he was bought out, I incorrectly assumed something was immanent for a D-man. Liles was clearly not his replacement, so what gives? I don't understand this move if it means we are going with

Krug-Chara
Morrow-Miller
McQuaid-Liles
Miller

Why not keep Seids and use him for injury replacement? We aren't using that cap space. The buyout makes no sense to me right now.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
So when I saw he was bought out, I incorrectly assumed something was immanent for a D-man. Liles was clearly not his replacement, so what gives? I don't understand this move if it means we are going with

Krug-Chara
Morrow-Miller
McQuaid-Liles
Miller

Why not keep Seids and use him for injury replacement? We aren't using that cap space. The buyout makes no sense to me right now.

It's obvious what DS is doing...He's working his way to a defense whose last names all start with an "M."
Installing Liles in place of Siedenberg is a step closer (alphabetically) to the letter M which he can work his way up to. If Liles is very successful he can change his name to Miles, Chara would need to be traded because replacing the Ch in his name would make him "Mara" and that won't work. Krug can change his name to either Mrug or Mug. Either way it works.

That will give us a defense that strictly abides to the letter of the plan.:popcorn:

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT

Most likely, to bottom pair guy. He's not a shut down anything, anymore. But don't believe the naysayers...Seidenberg is most likely capable of being a very nice #5, in a limited min role. His days of carrying his partner are over, he needs a guy that helps/suits him.

He wore out his welcome here battling injuries and picked up a lot of haters, but just like Chara, we've demanded too much of him - refusing to limit/change his roll.

The biggest problem, his contract, is gone. The second biggest problem, his acceleration, will improve with proper 3rd pair use.

He is still a solid PK contributer, who knows how to play defense. Something that's becoming a lost art. The brain is always there.

Some team will be smart and pay him pennies to play with a mobile kid and have a nice 3rd pair.

I'm betting on somewhat of a bounce-back year. A leveling out.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
I think Don is keeping his options 'open' for the start of the season. Obviously he'd still like to make a trade for a Dman (Id say Shattenkirk is the real target, forget Trouba) and Armstrong may have just said look we'll hold fire for now and look at it again after the season has started. So Im sure at some point there will be a Dman coming, I just don't necessarily see it before Christmas unfortunately. Thats just my take, I think as far as 'off season acquisitions' go, we're done here.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Krug-Chara
Morrow-Miller
McQuaid-Liles
Miller

I still he thinks he hopes to get his defenceman.

Problem with this perception is that there was a deadline for Seidenberg's buyout. There is no definite deadline for step 2.

I went through this line of thinking myself. Would have much rather buy out Seidenberg at the end of next season rather than this one if that cap space isn't going to be used. It would have been cheaper that way.

But I still think Don is on the prowl (or at least I sincerely hope he is) and just didn't have the luxury of enacting the buyout after the acquisition.

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
I still he thinks he hopes to get his defenceman.

Problem with this perception is that there was a deadline for Seidenberg's buyout. There is no definite deadline for step 2.

I went through this line of thinking myself. Would have much rather buy out Seidenberg at the end of next season rather than this one if that cap space isn't going to be used. It would have been cheaper that way.

But I still think Don is on the prowl (or at least I sincerely hope he is) and just didn't have the luxury of enacting the buyout after the acquisition.

I think it's more about the roster spot than the cap space. If they prefer Liles to Seidenberg I can't fault them, I'd say they are pretty much an equal question mark this season. If Morrow is in the mix for that 3rd pairing LD vs Liles, all the better.... we know who Claude would be playing if Seids was still here. There is absolutely a gaping hole, even if Seids is still here, in the top 6. Ditching Seids give them the opportunity to upgrade on either LD or RD.

As far as the money goes, I hope they might be anticipating that 1 or 2 players on ELC's should be competing for jobs each season for the duration of the buyout, which will help mitigate some of the damage against the cap.

Sinner

Stevens #4 Legend
Jun 30, 2016
Rags Suck Land
Most likely, to bottom pair guy. He's not a shut down anything, anymore. But don't believe the naysayers...Seidenberg is most likely capable of being a very nice #5, in a limited min role. His days of carrying his partner are over, he needs a guy that helps/suits him.

He wore out his welcome here battling injuries and picked up a lot of haters, but just like Chara, we've demanded too much of him - refusing to limit/change his roll.

The biggest problem, his contract, is gone. The second biggest problem, his acceleration, will improve with proper 3rd pair use.

He is still a solid PK contributer, who knows how to play defense. Something that's becoming a lost art. The brain is always there.

Some team will be smart and pay him pennies to play with a mobile kid and have a nice 3rd pair.

I'm betting on somewhat of a bounce-back year. A leveling out.
:) I hope you are right

The Devils have a young blueline, would love to see Shero at least give Seids a PTO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->