Post-Game Talk: Canucks 5 Preds 2: Van City steals Weber's ping-pong table and the kitchen sink too

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So Alberts misplaying that 2nd goal against = him having a very solid game? I just don't get it anymore...

It was one play, and it wasn't even that bad. Would you agree Luongo had a solid game? I would, and that goal was more on him than Alberts.

Ballard and Bieksa had far, far worse turnovers than Alberts this game.

But no surprise. People decide who they hate before they watch the games and then spin it to fit their agenda.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Tanev's a bit small to be taking playoff punishment every night at 185. He seems to take a lot of big hits when he's not paired with Ballard and that's not something you want to see night after night. Ballard is shorter but a lot tougher than Tanev is and roughly 210. So as usual, who knows what AV will do.

He's been all over the lineup so I think there's some confusion (and thus, vulnerability) that comes with that.

No doubt he seems to have more chemistry with Ballard than Alberts, but he's not had much steady time there

But there's no doubt that Tanev is the #5 in this group.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It was one play, and it wasn't even that bad. Would you agree Luongo had a solid game? I would, and that goal was more on him than Alberts.

But no surprise. People decide who they hate before they watch the games and then spin it to fit their agenda.

Alberts's poor gap control on that play led to the 2nd goal. Yes, Bieksa had a bad turnover that led to the first goal and everyone ripped him. Alberts misplays the 2nd goal and people say he had a very solid game? I just don't get the logic behind that.

Our defense has some problems. Bieksa hasn't looked good in his own end, Ballard has been sporadic at best, Alberts is garbage, Edler hasn't looked good. I just don't understand why people have all this confidence in a slow-footed defenseman like Alberts who's positioning is questionable at best.

This isn't spinning it to fit my agenda. Had Alberts not made a mistake that led to the 2nd goal I would agree that he wasn't bad. But in my mind just like Bieksa, he cost us a goal. That's all there is to it.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

completely disagree, AA let him right into the slot which is really hard to stop

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
completely disagree, AA let him right into the slot which is really hard to stop

Since when is skating backwards and flopping down on your knees an acceptable play by a defenseman? People hate it when our goalie does that, yet it leads to said defenseman being dubbed as having a very good game?

I personally have zero confidence in Alberts and really hope Tanev's injury isn't going to keep him out of any playoff games. Alberts will be the defenseman that teams will expose.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Alberts's poor gap control on that play led to the 2nd goal. Yes, Bieksa had a bad turnover that led to the first goal and everyone ripped him. Alberts misplays the 2nd goal and people say he had a very solid game? I just don't get the logic behind that.

Our defense has some problems. Bieksa hasn't looked good in his own end, Ballard has been sporadic at best, Alberts is garbage, Edler hasn't looked good. I just don't understand why people have all this confidence in a slow-footed defenseman like Alberts who's positioning is questionable at best.

This isn't spinning it to fit my agenda. Had Alberts not made a mistake that led to the 2nd goal I would agree that he wasn't bad. But in my mind just like Bieksa, he cost us a goal. That's all there is to it.

Yet you give Luongo a pass on that goal. Shocking.

Anyone who thinks Alberts has been bad hasn't been paying attention the last 2-3 weeks. Will he keep it up? Maybe not, but this is a great stretch by him. He's done everything you can ask out of a bottom pairing guy.

ValidVick*

Since when is skating backwards and flopping down on your knees an acceptable play by a defenseman? People hate it when our goalie does that, yet it leads to said defenseman being dubbed as having a very good game?

I personally have zero confidence in Alberts and really hope Tanev's injury isn't going to keep him out of any playoff games. Alberts will be the defenseman that teams will expose.

Agree with you on Alberts. He's fine for depth but I don't want any sign of him in the playoffs. I'd prefer Vandermeer over him at this point but Vandermeer seems to be a pylon too.

I could imagine Alberts coughing up the puck ala Campoli and costing us a playoff game.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

It's not a question of Alberts vs Tanev. It's Alberts vs Ballard. Which really is a wash at this point - they both bring different strengths but are prone to gaffes. Ballard had at least one ugly gaffe at the end of the 1st - could have easily been a goal.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Agree with you on Alberts. He's fine for depth but I don't want any sign of him in the playoffs. I'd prefer Vandermeer over him at this point but Vandermeer seems to be a pylon too.

I could imagine Alberts coughing up the puck ala Campoli and costing us a playoff game.

then might as well play the top 4 guys and let them get gassed and maybe suffer an undisclosed injury while they are at it. at least vancouver has depth. alberts cant be worse than barker/whoever is in the next pecking order.

Lundface*

Those punches thrown without the glove by Weber with the refs separating him and Kassian were quite cowardly. Wouldn't mind Kassian dropping them with Weber next time these teams play

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It's not a question of Alberts vs Tanev. It's Alberts vs Ballard. Which really is a wash at this point - they both bring different strengths but are prone to gaffes. Ballard had at least one ugly gaffe at the end of the 1st - could have easily been a goal.

Sure, but even then I trust Ballard a hell of a lot more than Alberts. At least Ballard can skate.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Vandermeer over Alberts? Vandermeer isn't even a good AHL d-man right now.

Crazy.

ValidVick*

Vandermeer over Alberts? Vandermeer isn't even a good AHL d-man right now.

Crazy.

I want Vandermeer more for his animal-like play. Jumping into the opposing team's bench and throwing punches would be nice to have in the playoffs especially against teams like St. Louis, LA, etc. Rather have him at forward but you never know how he'll play in the NHL because he has not been given a chance this year. Maybe he's playing bad in the AHL because he's disappointed he's not playing with the Canucks. Arniel could also be utilizing him wrong, which is likely. You never know.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Sure, but even then I trust Ballard a hell of a lot more than Alberts. At least Ballard can skate.

Yeah, skate right into a crowd of opposition players. :laugh:

I just have a feeling Ballard might end up below AA on the depth chart once Tanev returns.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
What a refreshing third period. I thought Edler was great. I bet Henrik laid it into the guys during that 2nd intermission.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
image.php

HAHAHAHA. h

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
The Preds are 30th in team scoring. I think Suter's offensive contributions were underestimated, and chasing off Radulov was a derp move.

He helped, but he is not the sole reason imo, missing fisher, honrqvist, gabriel bourque (has 11 goals this season), and with erat gone, they were a huge part of the preds offense as well. Even colin wilson chipped in on offense and he is injured to.

WestleySnipez

Christmas came early
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver. Duh.
I wish we had added a defender at the Deadline who could fight, but still play decent defense, like a Shane O'Brien without the ego, would of done well in this game.

Still, awesome job all around (except for that 2nd period). Games like this, we'll win in the playoffs, especially if we play better in the 2nd.

WestleySnipez

Christmas came early
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver. Duh.
He may have helped, but he is not the sole reason, missing fisher, honrqvist, gabriel bourque, and with erat gone, they were a huge part of the preds offense.

Definitely. They are missing half of their Top 8 point producers. Erat was a consistent 20 goal scorer for the Preds, Suter produced 30 or 40 points a season, pretty good for a defenseman. Fisher, Wilson, and Hornqvist all can score 20+ goals.

Missing that much offense, really can hurt a team even more so in a shortened season. I'm glad the Canucks aren't missing that much, otherwise we'd be in the same spot.

Radulov didn't really help out. He showed up when it looked like Nashville was going to go far, and then bailed ship. Kind of sad for Preds fans, he only played 9 regular season games, and 8 playoff games.

Hal 9000*

There was a ton of cross crease and up the middle passes made by nearly all the defensemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad