Post-Game Talk: Canucks 5 Preds 2: Van City steals Weber's ping-pong table and the kitchen sink too

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsmaster*

Bieksa and Alberts is a good pair. Put Tanev with Edler. Garrison and Hamhuis stay together. That's the defense I'd like to see in the playoffs.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Bieksa is literally a stud 50% of the time and a train wreck the other 50% of the time. There's no in between with him :laugh: hopefully he wins his internal battle with kasual Kev by the time we hit the playoffs.
It almost always completely alternates from year to year as well.

Weird guy.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I disagree. He's look liked garbage for more of the season than not.

Agreed. I think some fans around here see what they want to see and never want to see negatives when it comes to our players. Edler has been an avg hockey player for more then a year and his dwindling ice time is proof of that.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Say what you will about Bieksa. When it comes to playoff time he is one of the players on our team that can raise his game to that next level. I have zero concerns with Kevin an playoff time. Edler on the other hand is another story, he seems to be consistently inconsistent no matter what time of year it is.
What makes you say that though?

I think he's had a pretty similar jekyll and hyde thing in the playoffs, personally. He was brilliant on the cup run, then terrible in LA, like everyone else.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
This preconceived notion of "inconsistent" Edler is nonsense. Edler has been good all season, and great this last stretch of games.

Nonsense? I have watched Canucks hockey as long as anyone here. If you can't admit that Edler is more inconsistent then not, welp, take the Canuck shades off and maybe you'll see the light.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
What makes you say that though?

I think he's had a pretty similar jekyll and hyde thing in the playoffs, personally. He was brilliant on the cup run, then terrible in LA, like everyone else.

I here ya. I have just seen enough of both players in the playoffs over the years to know that Bieksa has another gear. Edler seems to be on the same pace no matter what time of year it is. In a playoff situation I take Bieksa over Edler every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I disagree. He's look liked garbage for more of the season than not. It's unreal to see how many times he gets danced when the player goes outside-in/inside-out. It's like he's in quicksand or something.

Agreed. I think some fans around here see what they want to see and never want to see negatives when it comes to our players. Edler has been an avg hockey player for more then a year and his dwindling ice time is proof of that.

Dwindling ice time? He's been consistently averaging between 22-24 minutes a game. 22:23 today.

Some people here under-rate Edler an insane, it's unbelievable. He makes his (noticeable) mistakes, but you guys make him sound like he's a 4th defensemen with the way you complain.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Nonsense? I have watched Canucks hockey as long as anyone here. If you can't admit that Edler is more inconsistent then not, welp, take the Canuck shades off and maybe you'll see the light.
It feels like people don't give him enough credit when he does turn it on though. He's had quite a few moments where he was the biggest reason we won an important playoff game when things looked grim, IMO.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
I here ya. I have just seen enough of both players in the playoffs over the years to know that Bieksa has another gear. Edler seems to be on the same pace no matter what time of year it is. In a playoff situation I take Bieksa over Edler every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Both have been underwhelming but Bieksa has been worse than Edler. No doubt about it in my mind. Are we forgetting Edler's performance against the 'Hawks in 2011? I don't understand the need to belittle Edler just to make Bieksa look good.

FTR, I would take Edler 10/10 over Bieksa.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008

Exactly what Shareefruck posted. Edler has his fair share of great playoff moments (La, Chicago Series), yet all we hear is how crap Edler has been in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This is where I completely disagree with you.

Edler's had the better peak performance playoff games by far, IMO. He's had games where he looked borderline Norris-level, even, and they often happen when the team is in tough and desperately need to regroup.

Bieksa has that swagger, and the bigger playoff clutch goals, and was better overall during our cup run, but I think Edler has shown better capability to play out of his mind and be a complete gamechanger on his own in the playoffs, often being the biggest reason for a huge turnaround, IMO.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
I just had this image of devil Kasual Kev and angel Clutch Kev on either of Bieksa's shoulders.

Devil "Try to pass the puck up the middle! You know you can do it!"

Angel "No, off the glass, off the glass!"

This is sort of the image I have as well. It kind of makes watching him play hilarious, as I can picture devil kasual kev snickering to himself whenever he royally screws up.

... I'm not your average spectator.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
How did my words go from inconsistent to crap in the playoffs? I am saying Edler is consistently inconsistent. Bieksa may be the same but come playoff time he has shown time and time again that he has another level of play. I take Bieksa over Edler every time if we are talking playoffs.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i think if the powerplay was clicking and edler was doing his thing we'd be hearing a lot about how "i cant believe we got him for only 5m!"

oh kesler, why couldn't you be here for the whole season

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
How did my words go from inconsistent to crap in the playoffs? I am saying Edler is consistently inconsistent. Bieksa may be the same but come playoff time he has shown time and time again that he has another level of play. I take Bieksa over Edler every time if we are talking playoffs.

What is your evidence of Bieksa being more consistent than Edler in the playoffs? Where is the evidence that Bieksa is better in the playoffs than Edler?

Edler has been just as good if not better in the playoffs than Bieksa

In fact, I'd argue Edler has been much better than Bieksa in the playoffs.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Time and time again? I'm curious, aside from the cup run, when has he stood out in the playoffs?

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012

Okay, he was great (offensively) against SJ; what other time...?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Hopefully you all are intelligent enough to know the difference between opinion and fact. My opinion is that Edler is overrated way to highly by our fanbase and I take Bieksa over him any day of the week. Disagree all you want but it's how I see it. Edler isn't, an never will be, this top 2 Dman you all think he is or will become.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
What is your evidence of Bieksa being more consistent than Edler in the playoffs? Where is the evidence that Bieksa is better in the playoffs than Edler?

Edler has been just as good if not better in the playoffs than Bieksa

In fact, I'd argue Edler has been much better than Bieksa in the playoffs.
I remember Edler having a solid handful of absolutely brilliant pivotal playoff games where I had just about lost hope in the team's chances, and he comes out taking over the game hitting everything and playing great all-around hockey.

I think Bieksa was better during the cup run, and was really really clutch in that, but other than that, he hasn't stood out for me as anything besides usually solid, sometimes as inconsistent as always, but NEVER capable of doing the above that Edler did in the playoffs, IMO.

I will however admit that when the entire team, including Bieksa, is firing on all cylinders, Edler is alot more likely than Bieksa to make a massive ****-up against the grain.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Hopefully you all are intelligent enough to know the difference between opinion and fact. My opinion is that Edler is overrated way to highly by our fanbase and I take Bieksa over him any day of the week. Disagree all you want but it's how I see it. Edler isn't, an never will be, this top 2 Dman you all think he is or will become.
It's weird to settle for agreeing to disagree and get defensive about subjective opinion only to punctuate that by forcefully implying that you're more right than others, IMO. (or at least, saying it in a pis*y way)

I've all but given up on Edler ever being a top-flight deserved Norris-competing defenseman, but I consider him and Bieksa pretty similar question-marks in terms of inconsistency, with Bieksa capable of being smarter when he feels like it and Edler capable of absolutely dominating when he pushes himself to. I think Bieksa gets a little more credit than he deserves simply because of the likeably intense/infectious/hilarious way he acts, personally.

Last edited:

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
There really isn't a world of difference to put between the playoff performances of Edler and Bieksa. From what I've seen, when healthy (which iirc would exclude Edler's series against LA last year) they have both elevated their games at critical points in the post season. Their physical presence gets elevated the most from what I've seen.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008

Informed opinion's are formed from facts, stats (backed with context), and visuals. Only the visuals are regarded in your opinion.

You have every right to have this opinion. It doesn't mean that it is correct. However, you're free to convince me (and others) that you're right about Edler and Bieksa

The same with your last statement regarding Edler; feel free to convince me that you're right.

I remember Edler having a solid handful of absolutely brilliant pivotal playoff games where I had just about lost hope in the team's chances, and he comes out taking over the game hitting everything and playing great all-around hockey.

I think Bieksa was better during the cup run, and was really really clutch in that, but other than that, he hasn't stood out for me as anything besides usually solid, sometimes as inconsistent as always, but NEVER capable of doing the above that Edler did in the playoffs, IMO.

Completely agree.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Bieksa is literally a stud 50% of the time and a train wreck the other 50% of the time. There's no in between with him :laugh: hopefully he wins his internal battle with kasual Kev by the time we hit the playoffs.

That's a high risk, high reward defensman. Unfortunately, every team has one, and every team needs one. The Hamhuis-Bieksa pairing was so successful because Hamhuis cleaned up so many of Kevins gaffs.

Mike Green
Phaneuf
Weber
Subban
Boyle
Doughty (not so much this season)
Campbell

All guys who drive coaches crazy, but can really drive a team when on their game.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
It's weird to settle for agreeing to disagree and get defensive about subjective opinion only to punctuate that by forcefully implying that you're right and everyone else is wrong, IMO.

No I didn't. I believe strongly in my opinion. If you interpret that as defensive then I can't help you with that. That is your issue.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Informed opinion's are formed from facts, stats (backed with context), and visuals. Only the visuals are regarded in your opinion.

You have every right to have this opinion. It doesn't mean that it is correct. However, you're free to convince me (and others) that you're right about Edler and Bieksa

The same with your last statement regarding Edler; feel free to convince me that you're right..

Nah man. I just got home from a night out with the boys and have no desire to try and convince anyone. Frankly, I don't care enough to want to convince anyone. I just like talking anything Canucks. We all have our opinions and some we agree with and others we don't. We will live to chat another day either way. :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad