Buyout Girardi?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
People think Girardi gets a new deal with a different team earning millions? Wow

You don't think a team would offer him a 2M/Yr contract?

He's drastically declined, but he can still be a bottom pair dman playing 14-15 minutes for some team vs the other teams bottom lines.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
You don't think a team would offer him a 2M/Yr contract?

He's drastically declined, but he can still be a bottom pair dman playing 14-15 minutes for some team vs the other teams bottom lines.
He can, but he would be terrible at it.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Dan has been amazing but his time has past.

Buyout, retirement, or a trade where we probably retain some salary.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think Girardi was injured this year and it wasnt disclosed. Im sure he gets another year to sort out things. He is overpaid but I suspect he gets another year to work it out and if that doesnt wprk he can be traded.

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
IIRC, you only get to retain on two contracts, correct?

If so, that can make a big difference if we're also looking to deal Staal and Nash, or anyone else in the future. Having the ability to retain is a huge option to have, so i'm not sure you want to use it unless it can dramatically increase a players value (like i think it can for Staal and Nash).

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
IIRC, you only get to retain on two contracts, correct?

If so, that can make a big difference if we're also looking to deal Staal and Nash, or anyone else in the future. Having the ability to retain is a huge option to have, so i'm not sure you want to use it unless it can dramatically increase a players value (like i think it can for Staal and Nash).
Three. But the point remains.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Teams are allowed 3 salary retentions. A team can't retain more than 15% of the upper limit. $74M upper limit for 16-17. The 3 salary retentions can't exceed $11.1M which is 15% of $74M.

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
Teams are allowed 3 salary retentions. A team can't retain more than 15% of the upper limit. $74M upper limit for 16-17. The 3 salary retentions can't exceed $11.1M which is 15% of $74M.

But could the rangers trade nash,staal,girardi, someone else and retain on all those contracts? Is thats legal RB? I know u can only have 3 retained salary players on your team but what about paying salary of more than 3 players on other teams?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
But could the rangers trade nash,staal,girardi, someone else and retain on all those contracts? Is thats legal RB? I know u can only have 3 retained salary players on your team but what about paying salary of more than 3 players on other teams?

If the total we can retain is 11.1m, that means we can retain the max of the contracts as long as those 3 contracts are less than 22.2m

Nash is 7.8m (3.9m max retention)
Staal is 5.7m (2.85m max retention)
Girardi is 5.5m (2.75m max retention)

That is a total of 9.5m (if my 3rd grade calculating skills are still working)

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
Change the coach, change the system, pair him with a fast d-man and keep him. I think he's better than Staal. Also, Boyle's going, Yandle probably is, Skjei is (imo) receiving praise that he hasn't earned and is far from a guarantee to be a good Dman on the team. Girardi has had a couple of bad seasons. He is probably as good as done, but aside from McDonagh and Klein, we don't have too many defensive players who we can rely on at the moment.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
I would buy him out this summer if Staal also is impossle or unwilling to move, one on the third pair and the pk won't kill us both both. Hell no.

I do agree with what Inferno said.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
I get keeping G for one more year and buying him out next summmer. It's a good move if he's on the third pairing. Will he be, though? I don't seeing Vino doing that. Keeping him around would mean one more year of Girardi on the first pairing.

Oy vey

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Oh I'm very familiar with how it works but thanks for implying im an idiot whose never posted on here before.

I'm familiar with it, I know it and I stand by my assertion. I want this team torn down, im willing to have Dan Girardi sit in the press box and be a 5.5 million dollar trip to the cap floor or a veteran leader for the Wolfpack than to have to absorb the "chump change" when the rangers may be in a position to start adding players to a team that is developing. 1.5 mil is chump change till you realize that 1.5 mil extra here and there pays for Carl Hagelin on this team instead of the revolving door of extras we had. you can keep your condescension to yourself.

Y did I know this response was coming lol (I knew what u were implying)

That's really what management has to decide right? What's the landscape going to look like in 2-3 years? 5? Are we retooling? If so a buyout makes no sense really? Full rebuild? Maybe then because the most expensive years will still be cap flooring it... Potentially.

Honestly if AV is here next fall does anyone think G won't be out there in a blue sweater?!?! Glass?!?!

Oh and the "50 years" part is what confused folks

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
FLA is an advanced stat team now. There were murmurs about Tallon being at risk because they wanted to go the analytics route.

ARI is the same way now. They might actually hire a 27 year old for their GM role.

Some team is going to do it, they'll hire an analytics guy as their lead hockey decision maker.

Teams have already hired analytics based coaches, so it's only a matter of time till that happens in the GM role.

Unfortunately those coaches happened to be Claude Noel and Dallas Eakins, but that doesn't mean that they will stop trying to hire them.

It worked out very well in baseball where there is a stop after every play. It hasn't worked out in sports where there's continuous motion.

See Philly with Sam Hinkie.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
People think Girardi gets a new deal with a different team earning millions? Wow

Look at Luke Schenn in LA. He was done in Philly under a system that stressed skating at age 25.

Goes to LA where they play his brand of hockey and he's a very serviceable 3rd pair guy that can eat minutes on the PK and with the lead.

Sometimes its a matter of systems fit.

Jesper Fast is terrible at receiving passes on breakouts, no one criticizes him even though his inability to receive a pass has lead to many turnovers and goals against. Does he fit a stretch pass oriented breakout even though he's a good skater?

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
If the total we can retain is 11.1m, that means we can retain the max of the contracts as long as those 3 contracts are less than 22.2m

Nash is 7.8m (3.9m max retention)
Staal is 5.7m (2.85m max retention)
Girardi is 5.5m (2.75m max retention)

That is a total of 9.5m (if my 3rd grade calculating skills are still working)
Ok gotcha. Thanks

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
No more ****in buy outs. Try to deal the guy for some picks or decent prospects. If nothing is available get rid of him in the expansion draft.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
I'd play him 1 more year . Try and trade . Buyout after that if they have too

Agreed. There's no way management is buying him out after 1 bad injury ridden season after everything he's done with the team.

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Klein
Sjkei-McIlrath

will be our D group on opening day 2016. Book it

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Agreed. There's no way management is buying him out after 1 bad injury ridden season after everything he's done with the team.

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Klein
Sjkei-McIlrath

Might as well trade Nash, Brass, and Klein if that's it.

We will be brutal with that defense. Tank and rebuild

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Klein
Sjkei-McIlrath

I think the same unless somehow staal is moveable and yandle resigns

They will bring a cheap vet 7 th in too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad