Buyout Girardi?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Might as well trade Nash, Brass, and Klein if that's it.

We will be brutal with that defense. Tank and rebuild

Again that's too drastic . They suck it up for a year then see if they can move staal and girardi . If not girardi gets bought out and they sign shattenkirk as a ufa

McD , shattenkirk top pairing . They can compete with that

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Difficult poll... but at the end of the day, i am absolutely in favor of a buyout if he cannot be moved by other means.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'll venture a guess and say that the Rangers try and move Staal to free up cap space.

They resign Yandle and hold onto G for one more season.

Nash also gets moved to free up space.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'll venture a guess and say that the Rangers try and move Staal to free up cap space.

They resign Yandle and hold onto G for one more season.

Nash also gets moved to free up space.

That's the way I see it. Girardi needs to get limited minutes on the bottom pair. My worry is that the head coach won't see it that way.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Marc and Eric Staal are moved. They do everything in their power to resign Yandle. I still think they are going to look for a PMD this offseason, *esp* if Yandle walks.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
His body is shot. He has no foot speed, turns the puck over a lot and looks lost 99% of the time. Even a simple clear of the puck has become an issue.

He's done.

He also had concussion issues in this serie which he mentioned in his last breakup day interview. I think it`s too risky to keep Girardi next season - I hope the management move him before next season.

Girardi interview source: http://www.blueshirtsunited.com/video/girardi-im-going-be-ready-be-my-best

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Personally I think it's better to see how he recovers from the injuries he's had. Pretty much he's been banged up since last year's playoffs.

...and I don't like buyouts where a team begins every year with a cap handicap. Once done--the team is stuck with the yearly buyout payment schedule.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It's not the concussion that I'm necessarily worried about, it's the cracked patella and any lingering issues from the bone chip/broken bone he suffered in last year's playoffs.

Whoot Whoot

Biased Rangers Fan
Feb 28, 2007
Los Angeles
I have no hate for Dan Girardi - the man is a legend - I cannot imagine playing hockey with such an injury. He has been a beast in blue and doesn't deserve this from the fans. Some of you have such short memories.

Carry on.....

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Girardi is not retiring and none of the injuries are serious enough to put him long term IR forever. Girardi said his knee bothered him. It's not like Drury who had a career ending injury from wear and tear. Girardi is not there yet.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's not the concussion that I'm necessarily worried about, it's the cracked patella and any lingering issues from the bone chip/broken bone he suffered in last year's playoffs.

Concussions are always something to worry about. I didn't like hearing that he played that one playoff game and had a setback. People were slamming him for that game but then again no one knew for sure what his injury issue was anyway--though a concussion would have been a good guess.

He was speaking clearly yesterday so I would say it's fairly safe to say he wasn't re-concussed and he has the entire summer to get over that. What I remember from last year's playoffs his injuries were a bad knee sprain and a badly swollen ankle. I don't remember a broken bone--maybe you're right--I just don't remember it that way. Yandle had the shoulder issue, McDonagh the broken foot, Staal the hairline ankle fracture and Klein the ****ed up arm.

Anyway he and his teammates have a long summer this year. All in all that could be a silver lining for some of them. Going deep into the playoffs means you don't get a lot of time to recuperate before you're back at it again.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Concussions are always something to worry about. I didn't like hearing that he played that one playoff game and had a setback. People were slamming him for that game but then again no one knew for sure what his injury issue was anyway--though a concussion would have been a good guess.

He was speaking clearly yesterday so I would say it's fairly safe to say he wasn't re-concussed and he has the entire summer to get over that. What I remember from last year's playoffs his injuries were a bad knee sprain and a badly swollen ankle. I don't remember a broken bone--maybe you're right--I just don't remember it that way. Yandle had the shoulder issue, McDonagh the broken foot, Staal the hairline ankle fracture and Klein the ****ed up arm.

Anyway he and his teammates have a long summer this year. All in all that could be a silver lining for some of them. Going deep into the playoffs means you don't get a lot of time to recuperate before you're back at it again.

Ah, you're right, Staal had the bone chip. I wasn't trying to downplay the severity of concussions, I was just simply saying that Girardi's concussion worries me less than his knees/legs breaking down. IIRC, he hasn't had a concussion in the past? He got rocked by Malkin, but he wasn't concussed from that hit, right?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Ah, you're right, Staal had the bone chip. I wasn't trying to downplay the severity of concussions, I was just simply saying that Girardi's concussion worries me less than his knees/legs breaking down. IIRC, he hasn't had a concussion in the past? He got rocked by Malkin, but he wasn't concussed from that hit, right?

I think Girardi's sprain injury last year was a sprained MCL which would have been pretty nasty to play with--along with a badly swollen ankle. One thing you can say for him he ain't a complainer. Playoffs is one thing---but regular season sometimes you should take the time to heal up. The Rangers had McIlrath on the sideline twiddling his thumbs for a good portion of this season. I don't get it.

Girardi's been really rocked a number of times. That's his first concussion that I know of. A major issue would be concussions following rapidly on each other. That happened to Christian Ehrhoff in 14-15 and once such a cycle begins it's not good. Two years ago that was a big issue with Nash and Rick plays a little more carefully as far as physical stuff than he did when he was with the Blue Jackets---not that I blame him for that.

I don't know the extent really of Girardi's knee issues. It's just what you read. No doubt it's aggravating and it effects his mobility--maybe his ability to wear down faster on an extended shift. A lot of the current team have been through a lot of hockey playoff wars three of the last four years--more chance of being banged up and less chance to get over those injuries before the next season starts again. The Rangers looked like a tired hockey team for long stretches this year.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
In retrospect, he probably should've let the cracked kneecap heal. I guess we'll find out how much it hampered him when next season begins.

I think Staal (M) is the easier to move of the two and probably the one that goes if either one goes. Nash is probably out of here too, though I don't see how that really helps the team other than financially.

Hopefully he trains hard and recovers in the summer and has a better season.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I have no hate for Dan Girardi - the man is a legend - I cannot imagine playing hockey with such an injury. He has been a beast in blue and doesn't deserve this from the fans. Some of you have such short memories.

Carry on.....

As long as he keeps playing and confirming his #WARRIOR status, it definitely doesn't matter how he actually plays.

Jan 8, 2012
NY

I have to question if the NYR doctors know what they're doing. If a player has a concussion but maybe feels a little better, playing a game is no way to test that out. There should be no "setbacks" when it comes to concussions. They have to fully heal. Little "setbacks" here and there is a quick path to early retirement.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Why would we buy out a player the coaching staff is in love with? HFBoards may think he's done but our coach certainly doesn't and that kind of precludes a buy out IMO.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I believe if Girardi were healthy, like for real, he'd actually still be a passable #6 defender who could probably play #4 minutes need be (probably not very well).

It's not ideal, and I do not know if there is even such a thing as a fully healthy Girardi but if these injuries are not totally degenerative I don't really see the purpose in buying him out, mostly because I don't see how they could use this off-season to have a that much of a better team anyway so I guess that factors into my opinion.

Girardi if he can be healthy is better than whatever else they'd likely use that gained cap space on, but neither Girardi or the use of that space in lieu of him lead me to believe this team improves all that much at the right D position.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I like Dan Girardi. Let me say that up front. Guy gives it his all and never complains. That being said, I think he is broken down. And like a lot of you think the team would be better without him playing.
I'm not sure buying him out is the best option. If AV is ousted and ends up elsewhere, Dan could possibly waive his NMC to follow. Barring that, you see how he does the upcoming year, sitting him if necessary and expose him to the 2017 expansion draft. He will have a Modified No Trade after this year. If he doesn't go in the expansion, one out of fifteen teams would likely take a chance on him if we are asking close to zero and/or retaining a little salary.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I posted this in the spec thread, but G's buyout might cause us some big issues down the road unless the cap is steadily going up. For the 18-19 and 19-20 seasons, G's buyout cap hit will take up $3.75M of dead space. Depending on how we structure certain RFA contracts, that can play a big role in McIlrath, Kreider, Miller, and Hayes's futures.

The 2019-20 season is also when McDonagh and Zucc become UFAs, and Pavel Buchnevich's 3-year ELC expires.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I have to question if the NYR doctors know what they're doing. If a player has a concussion but maybe feels a little better, playing a game is no way to test that out. There should be no "setbacks" when it comes to concussions. They have to fully heal. Little "setbacks" here and there is a quick path to early retirement.

A player has to pass a battery of tests to get back in the lineup. Apparently Girardi did--was cleared and then had some issues during game 1. It's not something you want to fool with.

After Boyle literally catapulted him into the boards head first--concussion, shoulder it could have been a lot of things or even a combination of things. That was a dirty hit. Some guys that might have finished their season altogether.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I posted this in the spec thread, but G's buyout might cause us some big issues down the road unless the cap is steadily going up. For the 18-19 and 19-20 seasons, G's buyout cap hit will take up $3.75M of dead space. Depending on how we structure certain RFA contracts, that can play a big role in McIlrath, Kreider, Miller, and Hayes's futures.

The 2019-20 season is also when McDonagh and Zucc become UFAs, and Pavel Buchnevich's 3-year ELC expires.

Buying someone out is like having a cap handicap every year. I don't like it. Once you've done it you can't trade the problem away.

There's some confusion on Girardi's contract that's never been completely cleared up. Depending on what you look at or who you believe Girardi might not have---might never actually had a NMC and that's a difference maker too. There was a story this year---that Gorton said he didn't have it--never did. I believe Gorton said he had a partial NTC and if that is the case some sites that carry contract information are misinformed. So.....a partial NTC is a whole different animal than an NMC. Any case Girardi only had (or didn't) his NMC for two or three years depending on what the different sources had to say. So then either his NMC ended this year or it ends next year or it never existed--instead was a partial NTC.

Which means he can be moved at the latest at the conclusion of next year---means if he's on a partial NTC he can be Reddened even. His contract is not the albatross that some people are making it out to be and quite honestly I can't think of a good reason why the Rangers would buy him out.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Agreed. There's no way management is buying him out after 1 bad injury ridden season after everything he's done with the team.

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Klein
Sjkei-McIlrath

will be our D group on opening day 2016. Book it

Next season will be even worse than this one of that happens.

McD - Klein
Yandle - McI
Sjkei - FA

That should be, and easily could be, next years d group.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

McD - Klein
Yandle - McI
Sjkei - FA

If we can get rid of Staal and Girardi, I hope we can sign Goligoski or Demers because having Klein on the top pairing is not going to end well

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

McD - Klein
Yandle - McI
Sjkei - FA

Maybe I'm wrong but I honestly don't think Yandle is coming back. I don't think the Rangers are going to break the bank for him anyway. They're not going to give him a ton of years. If he wants to play for the Rangers next year he's probably going to have to give them a discount and he's probably going to have to accept 3 or 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: