Buyout Girardi?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Maybe I'm wrong but I honestly don't think Yandle is coming back. I don't think the Rangers are going to break the bank for him anyway. They're not going to give him a ton of years. If he wants to play for the Rangers next year he's probably going to have to give them a discount and he's probably going to have to accept 3 or 4 years.

I don't really know what they're thinking but they should keep Yandle unless he demands something totally insane. Drop AV for so many reasons, make Yandle a fair offer and let him know hes not going to be up and down the pairings mismatched with Boyle-like players anymore. He and McI are a very dynamic pairing of guys who really enjoy playing with one another - that's something NYR has that other teams don't and it's also in NYRs best interest in that they'd have a decently priced second pairing with McI's meager hit balancing Yandle's large one.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
If the team makes it clear he's not wanted. I'm sure someone will take him. Possibly the Rangers wouldn't retain a little, but nowhere near 50%. Girardi at 50% would bring back significant return.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
If you are the GM, what do you do with Girardi?

If he were to by bought out this offseason we would be on the hook to pay a cap hit penalty of:

16-17: 1.75M
17-18: 2.75M
18-19: 3.75M
19-20: 3.75M
20-21: 1.25M
21-22: 1.25M
22-23: 1.25M
23-24: 1.25M

(Source - https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout_calculator/dan-girardi)

Or do we hold onto him for another season and try to deal him next summer when his NMC clause gets cuts in half and he has to give a list of 15 teams?

Current salary is 5.5M for the next 4 years.

the question is, how much salary do we need to maintain to make him tradeable? If we retain salary, he's off the books sooner than 2024-25. Retaining 1/2 ($2.75M per) would probably even be worth it. One, he's off the team, two, based off of your buy out numbers, we're taking way less of a hit in years 2018-20 which coincide with 2 out Hank's last 3 seasons. Truly, the end of any possible "window"

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Girardi seems to be the type of athlete who did not train hard in the off season. He said something to the effect that he is going to get ready for next season. A possible scenario is that he comes back healthy and in great shape which improves his performance and then we dump him and his whole contract to a contender at the deadline . With Boyle gone we use Brady and Mcralth as 6 and 7. No need to rush to a buyout or eat some of his deal..the acquiring team will be able to trade him after there run when his ntc loosens up.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm sure the Rangers are hoping he bounces back to at least a bottom pairing guy and gets claimed in an expansion draft.

Either way, I think he's here another season.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
I'm sure the Rangers are hoping he bounces back to at least a bottom pairing guy and gets claimed in an expansion draft.

Either way, I think he's here another season.

Yea I think thats a high probability. The key is dumping Nash..along with Boyle and Moore's salary it gives us 14 million in cap space. Resign Yandle and the restricted free agents. Put Lindberg back in the middle. Explore trading Stepan or Brass for young skilled assets. Sign Pavel and make sure Brady and Mcalrath get serious playing time.
By playing those 3 youngsters along with Oscar thats 20% infusion of youth. Also fix the disastrous defensive scheme. No need to be rash. An Expansion draft strategy is very important in deciding how to move forward.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If the team is going for a rebuild, Girardi should stay another year. It's a win-win situation. Either he plays well enough to build some value, or he helps shelter the kids without having a positive effect on the team's record. He might not be a great player anymore, but he's definitely a well respected leader and a good mentor for any youth coming into the organization.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
If the team is going for a rebuild, Girardi should stay another year. It's a win-win situation. Either he plays well enough to build some value, or he helps shelter the kids without having a positive effect on the team's record. He might not be a great player anymore, but he's definitely a well respected leader and a good mentor for any youth coming into the organization.

I agree with this but will add they must find a way to be out of his contract by the time the expansion draft happens. Otherwise, yeah what's the point of getting rid of him if the plan is to suck anyway? The only downside is he takes up a roster spot that a young guy could be getting ice time with.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I agree with this but will add they must find a way to be out of his contract by the time the expansion draft happens. Otherwise, yeah what's the point of getting rid of him if the plan is to suck anyway? The only downside is he takes up a roster spot that a young guy could be getting ice time with.

well with an NTC he would have limited power to dictate where he could or couldn't go. Furthermore, he'd then be eligible to be waived and stuffed in Hartford. Is that where G wants to play? Doubtful, as far as I can tell.

Expansion draft changes Girardi's contract a whole lot. Exposing him at the draft is a free $5.5M get out of jail free card--it gets us the minimum salary exposed, as well as the possibility that another team claims him. Even if he isn't you can trade him for another buyout-candidate contracted player

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If you are the GM, what do you do with Girardi?

If he were to by bought out this offseason we would be on the hook to pay a cap hit penalty of:

16-17: 1.75M
17-18: 2.75M
18-19: 3.75M
19-20: 3.75M
20-21: 1.25M
21-22: 1.25M
22-23: 1.25M
23-24: 1.25M

(Source - https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout_calculator/dan-girardi)

Or do we hold onto him for another season and try to deal him next summer when his NMC clause gets cuts in half and he has to give a list of 15 teams?

Current salary is 5.5M for the next 4 years.

The poll ? assumes he does not waive this year.
I disagree w/that premise, and answered anyway, but neither of the 2 options are good.

IF we get replacement RD now, then he will see writing on the wall, and either sit or take a deal. IF we try to make him comfortable I see he waives. However do not see many suitors.

Maybe Columbus, but if you were him would you take on a couple of more years of serious wear and tear under Torts? I don't think so.

Only thing I get is maybe Chara for Girardi, use Chara as a 4LW.

boxhamster

Jun 30, 2015
Germany
Trade M. Staal and give Yandle a good Contract. Then looking for a good UFA Defenseman with a worst Season for low Money.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
keep G to expose him in expansion (compliance buyout i believe opens before expansion)... then try and trade staal.. NO LONG term contract for Yandle..

look to trade Kreider for Fowler
Trade Klein for prospect, picks or include him in either of kreider/brass deal to get more value..
Trade Brassard for Shattenkirk
only trade brass if you can sign Stammer

have d

Mcd-Shattenkirk
Fowler-McIrath
Skjei-Girardi

Hopefully g bounces back and you can put him in top 4..

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Keep Girardi to keep him exposed people say?

Um. After another brutal season here why would the expansion team want to take him?

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Keep Girardi to keep him exposed people say?

Um. After another brutal season here why would the expansion team want to take him?

1- Because that expansion team will have to get to the cap floor.

2- i heard on SiriusXM/NHL Network that with expansion there most likely will be a compliance buyout period.. Someone was talking about it from LA in regards to moving one of Dustin Brown or Gaborik this summer. Also Brown being stripped of the C (kopitar getting it), and that Lombardi can't be loyal in regards to the buyout and has to do it next summer.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

2- i heard on SiriusXM/NHL Network that with expansion there most likely will be a compliance buyout period.. Someone was talking about it from LA in regards to moving one of Dustin Brown or Gaborik this summer. Also Brown being stripped of the C (kopitar getting it), and that Lombardi can't be loyal in regards to the buyout and has to do it next summer.

Merry Christmas just like the Richards contract if so . I mean I know staal makes a lot but if just girardi was off the books and Nash dealt for young assets the teams in much better shape

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

That's absolutely huge... I wonder what rules will play into the buyout options.

Even more so, that makes next offseason even more interesting. A lot of teams are going to be licking their chops for compliance buyouts--Minnesota wants out of Vanek's contract, Buffalo will try to move some dead weight contenders. Chicago will most definitely want to be rid of Bickel's contract, Rangers will be able to get out of Girardi's contract too. That makes for another really interesting offseason

It makes sense too. Say an expansion team is open to taking a player, but they don't like the contract. An expansion team can make an agreement with another team to (say the Rangers) to buy out a player (say Girardi)for the cost of a 7th rounder, following which the Expansion team can sign that player that was just bought out. An Expansion team most likely puts a ton of Value on Girardi at $2M instead of $5.5M, Vanek at $3M instead of $6.5M, Dustin Brown at $3.5M instead of $5.85M, and Callahan at $3.5M instead of $5.8M. Not to mention term reductions as well. This is good for the league. Get the bad contracts off the books, let teams ice competitive skaters

*Bob Richards*

How lucky would this team be if this happens and they find themselves able to get out of both the Richards AND the Girardi contracts in just a few short years?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00