Buyout Girardi?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I actually think that Sather's 1st round draft record from 2005-on is pretty good.

Staal, Del Zotto, Kreider, McIlrath, Miller, Skjei are all, or look to be, solid NHLers, with McIlrath being the highest pick in the group. Jury is still out on Skjei and McIlrath, but by indications, all of them are top-6 F or top-4 D.

Sanguinetti is the only bust, and of course Cherepanov was tragic. The problem hasn't been the quality of drafting in the 1st round. It's been drafting in the first round at all.

Cherepanov is the one that hurts the most. We would have an in-prime superstar scorer that would have probably helped us not trade for Nash.

rangerrat

Jan 3, 2010
I actually think that Sather's 1st round draft record from 2005-on is pretty good.

Staal, Del Zotto, Kreider, McIlrath, Miller, Skjei are all, or look to be, solid NHLers, with McIlrath being the highest pick in the group. Jury is still out on Skjei and McIlrath, but by indications, all of them are top-6 F or top-4 D.

Sanguinetti is the only bust, and of course Cherepanov was tragic. The problem hasn't been the quality of drafting in the 1st round. It's been drafting in the first round at all.

Sorry Bro your almost correct on Sathers record but he blew it on McIlrath when Cam Fowler was available! Heads and Shoulders a better allround D man!

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Said something similar in the roster thread, but it makes more sense to retain salary and hope a team is willing to take him on. Retain $2.5M and see what the market is. Cap hit is higher for the first two years, lower for the final two. Avoids carrying dead cap for the 4 years that would be added from a buyout.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Cherepanov is the one that hurts the most. We would have an in-prime superstar scorer that would have probably helped us not trade for Nash.

The last, and most tragic, of three really good prosects we lost in a ten year span before they ever really got started.

Being a fan of this team is almost surreal at times.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The last, and most tragic, of three really good prosects we lost in a ten year span before they ever really got started.

Being a fan of this team is almost surreal at times.

I tend to think of it as 4, although Lyashenko wasn't our draft pick, nor do I necessarily think he was of a caliber of the other 3.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
If we retain his salary, I'm certain a team pays to take him from us.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I tend to think of it as 4, although Lyashenko wasn't our draft pick, nor do I necessarily think he was of a caliber of the other 3.

I would put Sauer as the 4th. He and McD were on their way to being a dynamite pairing.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I would put Sauer as the 4th. He and McD were on their way to being a dynamite pairing.

Sauer is outside the 10 year period he's referring to. 1998-2008, we lost Cherneski and Blackburn to injury and Cherepanov and Lyashenko both died.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Sauer is outside the 10 year period he's referring to. 1998-2008, we lost Cherneski and Blackburn to injury and Cherepanov and Lyashenko both died.

God, I totally forgot about Lyashenko.

I remember reading that he left a note saying that he had "an incurable disease", but his autopsy found him to be totally healthy....

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY

God, I totally forgot about Lyashenko.

I remember reading that he left a note saying that he had "an incurable disease", but his autopsy found him to be totally healthy....

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Cherneski probably would've been in the same vein as Morrow.

Blackburn would've been a quality NHL goalie, though he wouldn't have been able to hold off Lundqvist. A healthy Blackburn means we don't draft Montoya, though we probably would've ended up with Olesz.

Cherapanov was going to be a star.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad