Buyout Girardi?

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Priority to move Staal over Girardi this summer makes much more sense. Keep G for one more year, maybe move him at the trade deadline in 2017 when contenders are always looking for D. Expose him to draft or buy him out next summer when the buyout hit is much smaller.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
if we're really going to "tank" (which I am heavily not in favor of) then keeping Staal and Girardi around another year is probably the best move.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
if we're really going to "tank" (which I am heavily not in favor of) then keeping Staal and Girardi around another year is probably the best move.

You have to figure next year at the very least is a lost season. What's the point of winning as many games as possible?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Next year is definitely not a lost season.

A down season with some younger guys getting their feet wet and establishing contention the following year isn't the worst idea.

Moving Staal and Girardi definitely allows for a small downswing but I think in the long run especially with a 1st round pick, it makes up for it. Not to mention what we can trade for with some of this core -- it's very young and there are a lot of options to exercise here for Gorton.

Honestly our cap situation is 10 times better than Chicago, Los Angeles, and Tampa.

Let's not forget the possibility of compliance buyouts during the expansion draft. That's a HUGE get out of jail free card if Girardi is still here.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Quite frankly, I've never seen an offseason where there were so many landmines up and down the roster, in terms of both performance and contract status. Maybe it just seems a bit more extreme because this was a team that is sliding from true championship contender status. In any event, I hope they commit to one direction fully and go for it.

Your statement - trying to hang on to the glory days - one more shot - hey you never know - is the attitude that has traditionally led to short cuts and half measures. I pray this not to be the case.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Based on what? It would take a miracle offseason from Gordo to get this team back to a level that could compete for the 'Cup, not some "anything can happen" half-ass squad like they had this season. I find this to be a very optimistic suggestion without much to go on except hoping management does something incredible.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Based on what? It would take a miracle offseason from Gordo to get this team back to a level that could compete for the 'Cup, not some "anything can happen" half-ass squad like they had this season. I find this to be a very optimistic suggestion without much to go on except hoping management does something incredible.

It depends on what you consider a lost season. To be favorites for the Cup or bonafide contenders? No, probably not. But I don't think that means you just punt the season. You can still ice a competitive playoff team even if you get younger. This bottoming out that everyone thinks is the best way to go is nice and all but it's not happening as long as #30 keeps playing at the level he has.

If they re-tool, get rid of as many of the anchors as they can, and get younger while icing a team that's competitive and makes the playoffs while taking a step in the right direction, I consider that a successful season.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
It depends on what you consider a lost season. To be favorites for the Cup or bonafide contenders? No, probably not. But I don't think that means you just punt the season. You can still ice a competitive playoff team even if you get younger. This bottoming out that everyone thinks is the best way to go is nice and all but it's not happening as long as #30 keeps playing at the level he has.

If they re-tool, get rid of as many of the anchors as they can, and get younger while icing a team that's competitive and makes the playoffs while taking a step in the right direction, I consider that a successful season.

That's a discussion this team has to have with Lundqvist. Being a middling playoff team or a bubble team is the absolute worst team you can be in this league. You get no gratification of being good enough to win, and little room for improvement at the deadline or draft. Your the tomato in the middle of the sandwich making everything soggy without adding much flavor.

Of course Henrik wants to win, if he wants to win in spite of helping himself, or this franchise win a 'Cup, trade him. He's delusional at this point if he thinks he can carry an okay team to the Finals, and win. If he hasn't realized this by now... Management is just as delusional if they think they can turn the ship around with one offseason, and if they do it will go down as one of the greatest offseasons by a GM in history.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
That's a discussion this team has to have with Lundqvist. Being a middling playoff team or a bubble team is the absolute worst team you can be in this league. You get no gratification of being good enough to win, and little room for improvement at the deadline or draft. Your the tomato in the middle of the sandwich making everything soggy without adding much flavor.

Of course Henrik wants to win, if he wants to win in spite of helping himself, or this franchise win a 'Cup, trade him. He's delusional at this point if he thinks he can carry an okay team to the Finals, and win. If he hasn't realized this by now... Management is just as delusional if they think they can turn the ship around with one offseason, and if they do it will go down as one of the greatest offseasons by a GM in history.

I just think this team has too much talent to tear it down completely and bottom out. At this point, I think getting rid of the dead weight and trading some guys that are getting older but have value (think Nash, Klein, Brassard, Zuccarello) to get younger and recoup assets is the way to go. In order to completely bottom out, you're talking dealing Lundqvist, McDonagh, Stepan, etc. The team is just too good as currently constructed to bottom out and quite frankly, no team in this spot would voluntarily go into the tank in this position.

The Rangers are at this point right now because they've made horrible decision after horrible decision since February 2014. Extending Girardi, letting Stralman walk and signing Boyle, essentially dealing Hagelin to move up spots in the 2nd round, dealing a pick for Sheppard to sit him for Glass while getting nothing of value for Stempniak, extending Staal long term and then trading a boat load of assets for Yandle when it's clear there's no room long term, giving up more assets for Eric Staal when it's clearly not addressing the main issues. I could go on and on. Some of it may seem trivial but it adds up. I left off MSL because while they paid a steep price, I believe it pushed the team over the top and I'm sure anyone signs up for a Cup Final spot and a legit chance to win it.

They've made all these decisions in the span of 2 years. I don't see why they can't retool and build this team back up around the core of Stepan, McD, Buch, Skjei, Miller, etc in the next 2-3 years with smart personnel decisions all while being a competitive hockey team.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

I think, especially if you're getting younger as a former contender, middling seasons are better than total failures because your young players come up in a somewhat winning and competing environment, and they get to taste the playoffs early. All the young talent in the world means jack when they have no supporting cast of talented vets, and when has a team ever gone from total garbage to cup contender in a year or so? Teams go from middling playoff teams to teams that make deep runs every single year.

The worst team you can be is the team who sold off or otherwise lost all established talent for futures, and never getting those Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Tavares etc talents - aka th Oilers so far though maybe McDavid will be enough to change that in a few years.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
His body is shot. He has no foot speed, turns the puck over a lot and looks lost 99% of the time. Even a simple clear of the puck has become an issue.

He's done.

sadly this is true.... Seems like a great guy, teammate and very well respected by everyone but he is done. Just isnt good enough anymore

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
If AV wasn't the coach, I could stand Girardi for another year as a 3rd pairing D. But since that's not the case, so it's a buyout for me

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Sather rebuilt the Rangers into a contender by doing exactly that. There is more than one way to go about this.

SupersonicMonkey*

Because Vigneault will remain, and the way the league has evolved the last couple of years, Staal and Girardi are dinosaurs of a past era of NHL hockey. Unfortunate but true.

They both require a defensive system where the team locks down the font of the net, definitely not a man on man system like Vigneault has been using.

Staal and Girardi have both become less and less mobile. Both have become more and more banged up and broken down. The speed of the game is too much.

The league has evolved in such a way that there is more emphasis for mobile defensemen now more than ever. In the 90's and even the early to mid 00's if a player were more mobile and contributed offensively he would be deemed a poor defender even if it weren't so. Now with more teams building their teams and operating around advanced statistics its proven more and more that mobile defensemen who contribute to quick transitions and getting the puck through the neutral zone quickly are now more valuable than slow footed stay at home types who are most effective without the puck and when the play is stagnant in the defensive zone, meaning they don't have to skate alot. I believe the subtraction of the two line pass has also effected this. Now defensemen need to close gaps quicker. They need to be able to pivot and turn and catch rushing forwards. The days of slow footed trapping defensemen is past. The deletion of the red line (for things other than icing) has caused these guys to lose their safety net.

The Rangers would be adding by subtracting Staal and Girardi. At this point it really doesn't matter what the return is as long as they get these two off the roster. They can then focus on rebuilding the defense corp.

Concerning the defense: McDonagh, Skjei, and McIlrath should be the only three safe from being moved right now.

If the Rangers can move Nash, Staal, and Girardi then some of that free cap space can be allocated towards keeping Yandle.

Its a shame, I appreciate Staal and Girardi for what they've done for the Rangers, but the time has come to move on from them. This offseason's top priority needs to be moving these two and rebuilding the defense.

rangerrat

Jan 3, 2010
Agreed. There's no way management is buying him out after 1 bad injury ridden season after everything he's done with the team.

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Klein
Sjkei-McIlrath

will be our D group on opening day 2016. Book it

With ya bro!! management luv s him, Injuried more then 1/2 season with knee cap then more on Boyle hit, No brainer for management to keep him for next season, GET OVER IT BOARDS DG GOING NO WHERE!!!

rangerrat

Jan 3, 2010
It's not the concussion that I'm necessarily worried about, it's the cracked patella and any lingering issues from the bone chip/broken bone he suffered in last year's playoffs.

Bone chip/broken bone last year??? What about the cracked knee cap obtained out on their western road trip with no extra D-Man with them?? Didnt take time off to rest it like that candy azz Nash with his bruise, DG should of taken the time to mend then or on his return to NYC. Never mind trying to playing on it and continue the warrior act, GET Better and get your body back into the game!!

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY

San Jose and Pittsburgh say hello.. everyone thought those teams need complete overhauls and both are leading in the second round of the POs and are possibly favorites to get to the cup.. i think that was said because with tweaks we can be back in the conversation..

everyone talks this "window" but people fail to see we still have young guys on this team..

Brass 29
MZA 29
Step 26
Kreider 25
Miller 23
Hayes 24

Mcd 27
Skjei 22
McIrath 24

those forwards are 20 goal scorers and still young or in their prime years.. we need changes but we can change the tide pretty quick

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Sather rebuilt the Rangers into a contender by doing exactly that. There is more than one way to go about this.

Typically, at least half of the top 20-25 scorers in the league are guys taken in the latter half of the first round and beyond.

I think it's smart drafting that makes the difference.

There's no denying that having higher picks help, but I don't view it as the only way.

Of course it becomes a moot point if the Rangers don't have any picks in the top 60.

Where this team goes from here is dependent on what management does, how well the coach follows along, and a little bit of good fortune.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Bone chip/broken bone last year??? What about the cracked knee cap obtained out on their western road trip with no extra D-Man with them?? Didnt take time off to rest it like that candy azz Nash with his bruise, DG should of taken the time to mend then or on his return to NYC. Never mind trying to playing on it and continue the warrior act, GET Better and get your body back into the game!!

If you read my other posts, I was confusing Girardi with Staal regarding the bone chip in the ankle. G had the knee/ankle sprain.

Also, cracked patella = cracked knee cap. I've posted numerous times about how they should've rested Girardi rather than rushing him back from his injuries. Look into what a periosteal hematoma is if you think Nash was being a baby with a bone bruise. I've also posted how buying out G can potentially hurt us down the line since his dead cap hit would be highest just when McDonagh and Zucc are up for new contracts and Pavel Buchnevich's ELC expires.

For the record, I've never questioned Girardi's toughness, and I've said plenty of times that he's always been one of my favorite Rangers.

rangerrat

Jan 3, 2010
If you read my other posts, I was confusing Girardi with Staal regarding the bone chip in the ankle. G had the knee/ankle sprain.

Also, cracked patella = cracked knee cap. I've posted numerous times about how they should've rested Girardi rather than rushing him back from his injuries. Look into what a periosteal hematoma is if you think Nash was being a baby with a bone bruise. I've also posted how buying out G can potentially hurt us down the line since his dead cap hit would be highest just when McDonagh and Zucc are up for new contracts and Pavel Buchnevich's ELC expires.

For the record, I've never questioned Girardi's toughness, and I've said plenty of times that he's always been one of my favorite Rangers.

NO PROBLEM MAC I WAS CONFUSED ON THE TYPES OF INJURY YOU STATED(LAST YEAR vs THIS YEAR) I THINK WE ARE ON THE SAME PAGE, NP CHEERS!!

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Typically, at least half of the top 20-25 scorers in the league are guys taken in the latter half of the first round and beyond.

I think it's smart drafting that makes the difference.

There's no denying that having higher picks help, but I don't view it as the only way.

Of course it becomes a moot point if the Rangers don't have any picks in the top 60.

Where this team goes from here is dependent on what management does, how well the coach follows along, and a little bit of good fortune.

I agree, 100%. we've drafted very well in later rounds.. our bread and butter is the 2-4 rounds.. we've also done pretty solid in 1st round with Skjei (looking promising), Miller, McIrath (looks like a contributor), Kreider

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I agree, 100%. we've drafted very well in later rounds.. our bread and butter is the 2-4 rounds.. we've also done pretty solid in 1st round with Skjei (looking promising), Miller, McIrath (looks like a contributor), Kreider

I actually think that Sather's 1st round draft record from 2005-on is pretty good.

Staal, Del Zotto, Kreider, McIlrath, Miller, Skjei are all, or look to be, solid NHLers, with McIlrath being the highest pick in the group. Jury is still out on Skjei and McIlrath, but by indications, all of them are top-6 F or top-4 D.

Sanguinetti is the only bust, and of course Cherepanov was tragic. The problem hasn't been the quality of drafting in the 1st round. It's been drafting in the first round at all.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
NO PROBLEM MAC I WAS CONFUSED ON THE TYPES OF INJURY YOU STATED(LAST YEAR vs THIS YEAR) I THINK WE ARE ON THE SAME PAGE, NP CHEERS!!

Cheers man, no worries :yo:

I actually think that Sather's 1st round draft record from 2005-on is pretty good.

Staal, Del Zotto, Kreider, McIlrath, Miller, Skjei are all, or look to be, solid NHLers, with McIlrath being the highest pick in the group. Jury is still out on Skjei and McIlrath, but by indications, all of them are top-6 F or top-4 D.

Sanguinetti is the only bust, and of course Cherepanov was tragic. The problem hasn't been the quality of drafting in the 1st round. It's been drafting in the first round at all.

Agreed that our drafting has been good outside of a few years. They've definitely been much better as of late, and I'd like to see them try to acquire some 2nds and 3rds to help restock the cupboard for the years to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad